• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 Qualifying & Miscellany

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Hey who says Australia would get NZ,s vote, didn't ARU vote against NZ having 2011 WC?

Just winding you up boys!!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hey who says Australia would get NZ,s vote, didn't ARU vote against NZ having 2011 WC?

Just winding you up boys!!!!

Wasn't that because there was also a South Africa bid and we didn't want to pick sides? (we totally should have picked sides).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
15 votes total out of 39 based on SANZAAR and timezone. We'd need to find another couple from somewhere to get over the timezone issue

Perhaps the Americas would help, if 21 is enough.

2 North America
2 South America
1 Canada
1 USA
---

3 South Africa
3 Argentina
3 New Zealand
2 Japan
2 Oceania
Asia
---

T

TOCC

But thats the point - it doesn't matter if Rugby is a niche sport in Australia if we host the pinnacle of the global game.

It does matter when you’re talking about a $600million guarantee requirement, niche sport aspect plays into that as well because rightfully or wrongfully, someone who doesn’t follow Rugby is more likely to take exception or fail to see the full value of a $600million guarantee..

I cant see the fed govt guaranteeing that much, it’s bloody exorbitant, maybe if the ARU do a deal with the state governments and QLD/NSW/VIC commit $100million each to match the Feds $300million, in exchange for finals matches..

But back to my original point, the ARU have also expended a significant amount of political capital the past 12 months and shown themselves to be quite inept as an organisation. they will need to demonstrate they have turned themselves around before even considering bidding to the govt, other unions and world rugby for the RWC.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^^^ I strongly suspect SA will be the next SH host. 2027 would give them ten years to sort out their issues & leave enough time to develop a bail-out option if they can't (said bail-out option would need to be promised they're the next host should SA deliver).

They don't need 10 years to sort out their issues. They can just take the Brazil approach to major event hosting and forcibly displace half their population with the army.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If you were looking at an Australian bid in 2027, we would be reasonably well placed with stadia.

NSW
New Stadium Australia - 75k
New SFS - 45k
New Parramatta Stadium - 30k

QLD
Suncorp Stadium - 60k
Proposed new Townsville Stadium - 30k
Robina Stadium (Gold Coast) - 27k

VIC
MCG - 100k
Docklands - 53k
AAMI Park - 30k

WA
New Perth Stadium - 60k
nib Stadium - 20k

ACT Hopefully new Canberra Stadium - 25-30k
SA
Adelaide Oval - 53kk
Hindmarsh - 16k

There are others that could be used but that's a pretty strong list of what will mostly be really new stadia.

Finally, all this sporting competition has an advantage. Look at all those shiny stadia.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ that was my recollection, too, but I wasn't certain. Caused some consternation at NZRU, I seem to recall esp. after the (self-inflicated) 2003 sub-hosting fiasco.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Can't wait for Japan.

On a serious note, this is a sad development for the future of the cup.

Are 2 out of every 4 cups now going to be France and England?

Would have loved to go to SA, not sure I'll bother with France.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Funny how 3 cups in a row will also be, either directly before, or directly after, an Olympics.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It does matter when you’re talking about a $600million guarantee requirement, niche sport aspect plays into that as well because rightfully or wrongfully, someone who doesn’t follow Rugby is more likely to take exception or fail to see the full value of a $600million guarantee..

I cant see the fed govt guaranteeing that much, it’s bloody exorbitant, maybe if the ARU do a deal with the state governments and QLD/NSW/VIC commit $100million each to match the Feds $300million, in exchange for finals matches..

But back to my original point, the ARU have also expended a significant amount of political capital the past 12 months and shown themselves to be quite inept as an organisation. they will need to demonstrate they have turned themselves around before even considering bidding to the govt, other unions and world rugby for the RWC.
They might not look incompetent to an incompetent government!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Can't wait for Japan.

On a serious note, this is a sad development for the future of the cup.

Are 2 out of every 4 cups now going to be France and England?

Would have loved to go to SA, not sure I'll bother with France.
It's been that way from the very beginning hasn't it? Not a new thing.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I was wrong - deleted

I think he means that they also happen to take place in the same city.
2012: London Olympics
2015: England RWC
2019: Japan RWC
2020: Tokyo Olympics
2023: France RWC
2024: Paris Olympics

You'd imagine it really helps their bid that they have modern stadia and facilities in place already for the Olympics. Similar thing happened with Rio 2012 and Brazil Fifa World Cup.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I think he means that they also happen to take place in the same city.
2012: London Olympics
2015: England RWC
2019: Japan RWC
2020: Tokyo Olympics
2023: France RWC
2024: Paris Olympics

You'd imagine it really helps their bid that they have modern stadia and facilities in place already for the Olympics. Similar thing happened with Rio 2012 and Brazil Fifa World Cup.

Probably could've worded my initial post better, but yes, that's what I meant.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I honestly can't see a issue with France having it.

How about the no alcohol in sporting stadiums law in France? Poor bastards were unwittingly being served non alcoholic heineken. A human rights abuse that should've seen the architects of it put to death.

D

daz

Personally thrilled it is going to France. It should just rotate between France, Ireland and the UK unions every four years, and I'd be pretty happy with that.

Possibly a minority view.