• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 Qualifying & Miscellany

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How about the no alcohol in sporting stadiums law in France? Poor bastards were unwittingly being served non alcoholic heineken. A human rights abuse that should've seen the architects of it put to death.
Is that legit & nationwide? Might hold off dreaming about a week long Oktoberfest, Oktoberfest 7s & RWC party in 2023 then....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Personally thrilled it is going to France. It should just rotate between France, Ireland and the UK unions every four years, and I'd be pretty happy with that.

Possibly a minority view.

Why's that Daz? Do you use it as an excuse to head over there (home?)?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Is that legit & nationwide? Might hold off dreaming about a week long Oktoberfest, Oktoberfest 7s & RWC party in 2023 then..

I did similar in 2007. The no-alcohol is everywhere. No obstacle to a great time You will have no trouble finding alternatives until kickoff, and you may need a new liver by the end of it all. You get the added entertainment of bus loads of aussie tourists getting rowdier and rowdier as they get through the 0% Heineken completely unaware

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Is that legit & nationwide? Might hold off dreaming about a week long Oktoberfest, Oktoberfest 7s & RWC party in 2023 then..

Was just doing some searching, some things I found suggest it's only Stade De France. So not sure is my official answer.

D

daz

Why's that Daz? Do you use it as an excuse to head over there (home?)?

Absolutely. What better excuse than a few months watching the greatest show on Earth, in one of the great countries? 2007 was brilliant. Can’t see 2023 being anything but brilliant as well.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
[quote="kiap, post: 981084, member: 2114" Ireland were disappointed that Scotland didn’t stick with them in the voting room today, but Scotland were honest: they were following the money. They will be around £4 million better off now that France won the vote.[/quote] It's a massive mistake by the Scots and Walsh. Irish fans are furious that for a second time in it's rugby history it's England that's had there back and not there Celtic brothers from Wales and Scotland. Fans are calling for Irish teams to join the premiership and kill off the Pro 14. After all Ireland provide all the money, do all the travel and fill the stadiums. If the Premiership could get Munster and Leinster and than Ulster and Connacht in div 2 they would have full control over European Rugby which is what they want.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Absolutely. What better excuse than a few months watching the greatest show on Earth, in one of the great countries? 2007 was brilliant. Can’t see 2023 being anything but brilliant as well.

I want to agree with you (and I partially do), but I also think moving it around provides a lot too.
I can't wait to get across to Japan for 2019, I think it'll be such a funky way of experiencing Japan, that I don't know I'd be able to get without the Rugby aspect of it. Whereas I feel like I can always drink my way across the UK, being merry with legends in pubs from Dover to Wrexham, without Rugby guiding me.

D

daz

[quote="kiap, post: 981084, member: 2114" Ireland were disappointed that Scotland didn’t stick with them in the voting room today, but Scotland were honest: they were following the money. They will be around £4 million better off now that France won the vote.
It's a massive mistake by the Scots and Walsh. Irish fans are furious that for a second time in it's rugby history it's England that's had there back and not there Celtic brothers from Wales and Scotland. Fans are calling for Irish teams to join the premiership and kill off the Pro 14. After all Ireland provide all the money, do all the travel and fill the stadiums. If the Premiership could get Munster and Leinster and than Ulster and Connacht in div 2 they would have full control over European Rugby which is what they want.

Well, be that as it may, this “Celtic brotherhood” thing is certainly useful when everyone wants the same thing. The reality is that for global event like the RWC, the Home Unions get a bigger payday in France.

It’s politics and money, Kev.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
It’s politics and money, Kev.
Yep, that way the Premiership is the best option for Irish teams, extra cash and playing against better quality opposition week in week out. Wales has Scarlets and Scotland has Glasgow, the rest of the Pro 14 are not even competitive so I'd much rather watch Munster v Sale or Bath than Munster v Edinburgh or Cardiff. Let alone the Italian teams that need to be dropped.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Personally thrilled it is going to France. It should just rotate between France, Ireland and the UK unions every four years, and I'd be pretty happy with that.

Possibly a minority view.

Pretty selfish one too, don't you think?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Unless there is a substantial change of heart at WR (World Rugby), the only countries with the moolah to pay the guarantees for a RWC are France, England, Japan and USA. NZ will never host another, Ireland has got bucklies, and SA or Australia need government backing. Now, given the NSW government is going to spend $2 billion knocking down and rebuilding two perfectly good stadiums (just not so good for Rugby) maybe a government can be persuaded. But it would be an entirely irrational decision.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
WR (World Rugby) have announced that the draw for 2023 will be made in November:

https://www.world.rugby/news/555584?lang=en

As in November 2021.

As in getting on for three years prior to the tournament.

As in getting on for two years more lead-time than FIFA require for their far-bigger tournament.

Da fuck. I'm pretty much with this guy:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...he-rugby-world-cup-disaster-waiting-to-happen
108-1081587_wtf-meme-png-fuck-you-mean-face-transparent.png
1557310702.1267_UgysAp_n.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Draw now scheduled for 14 December using rankings as at 1 January 2020. Giving some interesting results:

Band 1: SA, NZ, England, Wales
Band 2: Ireland, Australia, France, Japan
Band 3: Scotland, Argentina, Fiji, Italy

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Draw now scheduled for 14 December using rankings as at 1 January 2020. Giving some interesting results:

Band 1: SA, NZ, England, Wales
Band 2: Ireland, Australia, France, Japan
Band 3: Scotland, Argentina, Fiji, Italy
If we end up with England, Australia and Argentina in one pool again, I'll lose my mind. So boring.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
England will find their group pretty easy, think the Wallabies be pretty happy, Wales are there for the taking I think and quite easily if this year anything to go by. ABs will really struggle against French, they look the ones to beat to me, bloody good young team coming through. SA will be too strong I think, Ireland maybe part way into next cycle and not sure how strong they will be.

Then again, I could be talking through a hole in my head and things maybe very different in 2 years.