• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We don't normally start match threads until closer to the game - usually the week prior.
I think that is what Hawko was getting at.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good news is France are playing on a very heavy pitch currently and should fatigue them for next week.

They don't look very good either, struggling over Fiji.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Let's just hope they don't watch the match tapes from the June tests.

Otherwise we could be facing a roused, impassioned French side, inspired by the spirit of Marseilles.

On top of that, we will be facing them a couple of days after Remembrance Day

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think we will get France, but if Ireland play like they did vs SA and we don't improve massively, we will likely lose the last two.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
(Quote deleted)

Click on the person, go to ignore.

Have you watched France v Fiji or Ireland vs SA? Care to give your opinion on both those games, and us vs Wales?

Play the ball, not the man.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think we will get France, but if Ireland play like they did vs SA and we don't improve massively, we will likely lose the last two.

See I am less worried about Ireland. I didn't watch the game, but it sounded like Ireland struggled in the set piece. If you can match or better them there, I would back our backs to get the job done. Need to do a bit better at the breakdown than we did against Wales but they have a good backrow.

The weather will be an issue that could screw us over.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Do you think we will see some rotation among the starting XV for this match (eg Genia/Cooper in), or will Cheika just tinker from hereon in until he gets the team right for RWC2015? Being a test you'd think we should put the best team on the park but it's not unusual to rotate players around on the EOYT..certainly the bench will differ.

in any case, if Higgers is fit he will get the 6 jersey back, otherwise Jones should get a crack at it. McMahon has a huge future but plenty of time for him. And whilst we have the wrong cattle available in the pigs we should go back to a 5:3 bench.

Speight to get his cap, even if off the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't see him rotating combinations. Maybe one player at a time. I think the starting team will be similar with the injection of Higgers.

Would like to see Speight this game, Genia more time from the bench, Cooper on the bench.

To'omua might rotate with Lilo, or Horwill with Carter. Maybe a wing change, Otherwise I can't predict any changes.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
See I am less worried about Ireland. I didn't watch the game, but it sounded like Ireland struggled in the set piece. If you can match or better them there, I would back our backs to get the job done. Need to do a bit better at the breakdown than we did against Wales but they have a good backrow.

The weather will be an issue that could screw us over.

SA scrum smashed them a couple of times after a shakey start, and SA stole a few lineouts.

Ireland piled on the pressure on the Boks and forced them into a fair few mistakes. Irish forwards were rather physical and strong, I think that's the worry.

Agree we have them in the backs, but that's not to say the Irish backs aren't bad. Connor Murray had a pretty good game from halfback. Carney, Bowe, Payne, Sexton are all no slouches as well.

It was interesting to see Jared Payne, from the Blues, playing at 13 for Ireland.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
None of these games are gimmes, so I think we'll only see minimal changes.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
1. Slipper
2. Hanson
3. Kepu
4. Carter
5. Simmons
6. McMahon
7. Hooper
8. McCalman

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Lilo
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. FingerS
17. Alexander
18. Faulkner
19. Skelton/Horwill
20. Jones
21. White
22. Cooper
23. Horne

Minimal changes. 5/3 bench. Expecting less physicality from Les Blues.
QC (Quade Cooper) to get 30 minutes off the bench to stake a claim.
White to prove he is better than Genia for bench 9 for the IRE/ENG games.
Chibba to be rested after 50 for FingerS to tear it up for 30.
Skelton to get crash course in scrummaging, or Big Kev is on the pine. Les Blues will be "aware" of Big Willie from the Sydney test and there could be some psychological benefit in him running off the pine to finish the game.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I thought the Irish played exceptionally well. had some luck go their way. It was a good day at the office for Ireland, and the boks on the other hand weren't at their best. The irish were under a lot of pressure for large portions of the game. Had to defend a lot and were under pressure in the scrums. The Boks just couldn't turn their dominance into points.

I actually think we'll beat Ireland. We might have the stronger scrum and unlike the Boks, we should do a better job of breaking down their defense.

If we play well we'll beat france, no doubt in my mind.
My team for france

1. Slipper
2. Fainga'a
3. Kepu
4. Simo
5. Carter
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. McCalman

9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Lilo/To'omua (I prefer To'omua but no reason to upset the apple-cart)
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

16. Robinson
17. Alexander
18. Hanson
19. Skelton
20. Horwill/Cooper
21. McMahon
22. Genia/White (either will do)
23. Horne

- tempted to drop Genia for his poor performance but I think Cheika might be better off letting him play his way into form - plus it is nice to bring a guy with his experience on in the last 20 minutes.
- Speight needs game time - we need him to fit form before the England game
- Skelton needs as much test game experience as possible before the RWC. Needs to work hard on his scrummaging during the week though.
-If you were going to play a 5/3 split id drop Horwill and add Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.