• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

French Six Nations Grand Slam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Welcome Djoudy68. An international flavour to this forum is particularly welcome. You may need to bear with us some of the time as we are very Australian centric (though you probably know that).

Your English is very good and far better than our French.

D

djoudy68

Thank you Cutter , it's very nice. :)
I hope to learn a lot about the australian rugby and you learn much about the french rugby.

Regarding your french , this is normal , it's a very difficult language.

C

chief

Well done to France for winning 6 nations. As Scotland have beaten Wales.

D

djoudy68

The France beat the England 12-10.
It's the Grand Chelem.
I'm so happy. :) :) :) :) :) :)

I made the summary tomorrow.

S

Spook

Well done :thumb. The French nearly blew it this match but they were easily the best side of the tournament.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watched this game on ESPN this morning with amusing and truly biased commentating provided by Brian Moore.
Bryce Lawrence's inability to referee a scrum revealed again with him penalising the English tighthead 3 times for scrum infringements. Really seems clueless at the set piece. At least it was only England.

C

chief

I'm not going to bother commentating on the poor refereeing, because i think everyone can face it, and has heard me say that it isn't up to International Performance.

Great stuff to France for winning it and the 6 nations, England could have easily won the game (the word should could have replaced could). Although I doubt it, I do hope they bring some of there best players down to tour SA and Argentina this year. Interesting to see what the Argies will make of them, hopefully the Saffas field a good team too (doubt it)

D

djoudy68

The France has not sent game. It was based on his pack which was excellent.
We dominated the English in scrum. We were stubborn defense.
The tree-quarters were not very good apart Andreu and Poitrenaud.
We dominated all the time apart the beginning of the match and a quarter-hour of the second part of the match.

C

chief

Can I just say Brian Moore (commentator) bagging out Bryce Lawrence made me cry with laughter over his vendetta against the bloke. It's not Lawrence who deserves the serving of the commentator's wrath, it is the selection panel who appoint this guy and sing his praises. As much as I dislike England I am hoping for an apology for them by Paddy O'Brien. New Zealand got one! And they won!

As for the game, I noted that England played like France and France sort of played like England. Wasn't too expansive at all......

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Cutter said:
Welcome Djoudy68. An international flavour to this forum is particularly welcome. You may need to bear with us some of the time as we are very Australian centric (though you probably know that).

Your English is very good and far better than our French.

The French Connection?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
djoudy68

Welcome to the forum.

For we neutrals it's a pity the Grand Slam match was not a great game as the one last year when Ireland clinched it but they did what they set out to do.

I wouldn't say that France dominated as much of the match as you said, but they were the best team in the competition. Everybody else stumbled sometimes, but France held on in one of the weirdest 6Ns in years.

Parra had a top game and for me Dusatoir, Harinordoquy, Parra and Trinh-Duc were superb in the series - who were rated the best in the French press and by yourself?

I thought England played their best game of the competition at the SdF and it was because they had more form players in it than they had in other games. They always needed guys like Foden and Ashton running the ball though Ashton made that big mistake, which in hindsight probably lost the game.

If all in the England team tour to Australia it will be a better one than what the Wallabies played against on our EOYT.

djoudy68 - who is going to win the Top 14 - and why?

M

macg101

James Buchanan said:
macg101 said:
not a huge fan of high scoring games, keep it tight and intense... some rediculous scores coming out of the S14 this season :angryfire:

They really can p*** off with these rule emphasis changes in the middle of tournaments. I dont like this non contesting emphasis being thrown into the mix.. sound quite like rugger league, the one sport in the world that I would not take a pay check to watch!

Sounds like you've been reading some of the nonsense that's been thrown around by the uninformed UK media.

Especially the dross about how it makes it more like rugby league and it being uncontested. For your edification, the ball is still contested heavily in the super 14, its just not done by the tackler at every opportunity. Generally now its done when the ball runner is isolated without support or by counter rucking the crap out of the other team if they haven't committed enough to the breakdown. You know, how rugby is supposed to be played.

Perhaps you should stop reading the times, because quite honestly they don't know crap, and start investigating matters for yourself.

Perhaps you shouldnt adopt such a patronising tone...

Well the ex proffesionals (some good players in their day) of the times might have a point, as might have Marc Leivermont and Declan Kidney. I would perhaps side (rightly or wrongly) with their views given their fairly educated viewpoints and arguments. Also I have played the game so I have some idea of the rules.. cheers

To be honest you could argue about "how rugby is supposed to be played" all day and you wouldn't change the fact that I (as in me) like a tight game rather that a 130 pointer.. I suppose its because im from Munster. I apologise for being defensive I just don't like being talked down to like I don't have a brain or a right to an opinion... fair enough if you dont agree with me, just dont make assumptions... apologies if im going too far in my argument here i dont mean to.. its only a game after all!

On other matters fair play to Scotland they outthought us and deserved everything they got on Saturday.. If theres any side in the world I dont mind getting beaten by its them. I was at the game myself, they just were better on the day.. they seem like a decent young side..

Also great rugby by France this year.. some quality rugby on show and Im delighted they got through the tight affair with England which could easily ruffled them..

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I was fortunate to be at the game and enjoyed the spectacle but not the rugby so much.

As per Chief, playing styles were reversed with England playing more of a french style game than their own. The French seemed to be playing to not loose rather than to actually win, and even more so in the second half upon realising the 6N was sewn up after finding out the result in the Ireland Scotland game. England played a more expansive game and their backline looked dangerous whenever they could retain possession but appeared lost in unchartered territory once breaking the advantage line. Much to the frustration of the pommie crowd they resorted to their kicking game in the second half but had they persisted with running it and being patient I'm sure the result would have been different.

There were no particular standouts but the french pack played solidly and out-muscled the poms thus getting the penalties and the game. The fullback played well and scrum half Parra had his usual and entertaining both brilliant and brain fart moments, and saved the game with his penalty kicks in the wet.

On the ref, yep he confused all and sundry. He wanted to be centre of attention and certainly got it. For mind, he was consistently pedantic against both sides but I would say that France would have still won under any ref. England had the enthusiasm and the opportunities but just couldn't pull it all together and the Frence defense held firm when most needed. Deserved winners of the 6N and Grand Slam!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks Paris Tah - there's nothing like being at the ground to get the vibe of a game, is there?

D

djoudy68

Lee grant :

Thank you for your welcome (I don't know if this is the right word).

For me the best french players were:

-Harinordoquy , he was excellent ball in hand et very good under the high balls.
-Parra / Trinh-Duc , our youngs halfs were very good , they have shown maturity and even of genius.
-Bastareaud , he was very powerfull , "he put his opponents on the ass".
-Nallet , he made his comeback , he is a leader of the pack.
-the first line , Domingo-Servat-Mas , they all dominated their opponents in scrum.

For the Top 14 , it's complicated:

The favorites are Clermont , Perpignan , Toulouse and to general surprise , Castres.
Clermont , toulouse and perpignan have a big squad , more excellent players.
Personally I support Clermont , Perpignan and Toulon. Probably Toulon will not win it this year because they didn't not the mind for the big games. Perpignan seems worse than the last year and Clermont is cursed at final.

Not yet certainty , we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.