• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Friday 8th May, Rebels v Blues @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
Rebels and Blues are both coming off home wins. The stockade should get another solid crowd, especially with the momentum the boys are building. The lack of points in the 2nd half was a bit worrying but really good to see them hold the Chiefs out under pressure.

I hope McMahon is just bruised, but regardless we have a lot of depth in the position so can cover him if he sits out a week or two.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Rebels and Blues are both coming off home wins. The stockade should get another solid crowd, especially with the momentum the boys are building. The lack of points in the 2nd half was a bit worrying but really good to see them hold the Chiefs out under pressure.

I hope McMahon is just bruised, but regardless we have a lot of depth in the position so can cover him if he sits out a week or two.

Ireckon we give Sean a rest this week because he will ahve a bruising encounter against the Reds. Few options discussed in other match-day thread for 6; Colby, Luke or Scott for 6. Goal would be to minimise positional changes as much as possible.

Harris should have overcome his corked thigh and should be be fit to play, so what do we do with young Hegarty? He did play well against the Chiefs.

Blues will be stung by the loss of Kaino and Piutau for this match. The Rebels need to keep the foot on the gas for this one and aim for a four-try win. The Blues will never be easybeats and will come to Melbourne looking for another scalp. Banana peel anyone?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Need a win this week, want to finish in the top 10 and as close to finals as possible we should not be dropping games to bottom sides. That Lions game still hurts, if we had won that we would be sitting 8th with a game in hand over 7th. 7 points off the Tahs in 6th and 8 Points off the Brumbies for top of the Australian conference at this stage of the season is a good effort.

Interesting that all 3 of us are yet to tour SA.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
It's not a great sign when we lose the games we should feasibly be confident about winning. There's still something about the team that rises for the tough matches and switches off when the pressure is less.

Banana peel for us for sure, and a match we probably have to concede underdog status.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
as far as I can work out the Auckland Blues have not won an away match since February.

February of 2013.

Yes, over 2 years ago. They have proved time and time again they can lose to ANY TEAM away from home.

All the Force or the Rebels or the Western Alliance or whoever the fuck you are have to do is go through your patterns. That's all. The rest will fall into place for you. A solid effort and the victory will simply fall into your lap.

Watch out though, the Blues will pick up their bonus point. They are accruing them for the post season. The post-season Xmas party. Sadly, they think they are akin to Xmas crackers. Don't tell them though. It's all they've got left.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Bit of a shame this will clash with the Melbourne derby in the A-League.

Personally I don't think the crowd hit will be that bad, if at all. If anything it will probably hit crowd nubmer at the Collingwood v Geelong game.

Reactions: daz

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Need a win this week, want to finish in the top 10 and as close to finals as possible we should not be dropping games to bottom sides. That Lions game still hurts, if we had won that we would be sitting 8th with a game in hand over 7th. 7 points off the Tahs in 6th and 8 Points off the Brumbies for top of the Australian conference at this stage of the season is a good effort.

Interesting that all 3 of us are yet to tour SA.

LOTS of teams have lost to the Lions this year, there's no shame in that.

However there will be great shame if you lose to the Blues. Kaino has played like two men this year, losing him will be a disaster from which no recovery is possible. Play like you did the last fortnight and you'll get 5 points.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
LOTS of teams have lost to the Lions this year, there's no shame in that.

Yes, but it is a game at the start of the season that we would expect to win. We are currently 2 wins 3 loses in Melbourne and 3 wins 2 loses away. To make finals you should really be winning at least 6 home games.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
What you would expect to win at the start of the year is irrelevant. It would have been a very optimistic Rebels fan that expected away wins over the Crusaders & Brumbies at the start of the year, let alone a home win against the Chiefs.

Reactions: daz

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Rebels must be favorites for this one at home against the Blues with no Kaino and Piutau.
That said, watch out for Akira Ioane. He was sensational last week. And Luatua looks extremely worried about missing out on the WC.

D

daz

I tend to agree with a few guys above; at some stage we need to not just claim favouritism status, but revel in it.

This is one of those times. Let the Blues know we are gunning for them, rather than trying to be seen as an under-dog, and making noises about how "dangerous" they are, whether they are or not.

If we call our home base a Stockade, let's back it up in word and deed.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
as an aside, with regards to injuries the S&C and physios have done an excellent job, Placid is the only soft tissue injury so far this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Good news, need basically everyone to be fit and firing for mine. Keeps the competition for places up.

Wouldn't mind Sean missing a week if he had to though. Its a long season, and giving a rest to someone who regularly plays 80 minutes isn't a bad thing to do before the saffa tour. Would give us a chance to use Samo, or shift one of the locks to the backrow for a game.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree McMahon needs a rest but why would you shift one of the locks to six when you have someone in Colby who played virtually the whole season at 6 last year, winning the players player award doing it & has done absolutely nothing wrong this year?

D

daz

Agree McMahon needs a rest but why would you shift one of the locks to six when you have someone in Colby who played virtually the whole season at 6 last year, winning the players player award doing it & has done absolutely nothing wrong this year?

I fully expect to see Colby named as the starting 6 in the team-sheet this week. In my limited knowledge of team selections, he surely has to be a dead set monty to start.

And I fully expect to see Jordy rewarded by starting at 7 again against the Blues. He was a fucking monster last week and earned another shot.

However, as unfair as it may seem, I prognosticate that Harris will take Hegarty's spot.

D

daz

That said, watch out for Akira Ioane. He was sensational last week.

What a mouth-watering bit of talent on the wings in Ioane and Super Sefa.

Two blokes with plenty of toe and ability. I think Ioane shades Sefa at this stage of their careers, but gee, it's going to be great to see who has the most impact in the 11 jersey.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What a mouth-watering bit of talent on the wings in Ioane and Super Sefa.

Two blokes with plenty of toe and ability. I think Ioane shades Sefa at this stage of their careers, but gee, it's going to be great to see who has the most impact in the 11 jersey.

Akira Ioane plays in the backrow.

He just runs faster than most wingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.