• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

G&GR Translations

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I need a good one line description for godwins law. The G&GR one not the real one.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Further to your latest amendments above, and @boyo above

CTS = Crouch Touch Set

<eyes rolled to the sky>:rolleyes: /Former piggie expressing outrage about probable former back trying to understand and interpret language related to real rugby players.:)

Crouch Touch Scrum - indeed.
Well I played tight five my entire 'career'.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ABE = Anyone But England as in "I only support two teams, <insert National team followed by speaker> and ABE". Useful for Rugby and Cricket.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
WII-FM. Not a new radio station owned by Nintendo, but What's In It For Me? Describes the motivation behind some of the more selfish administrators and volunteers involved our game.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thought I'd post the abbreviations we use in the blog here.

# symbol Don't use the # symbol as an abbreviation for 'Number' Use no. (including the full stop).

Apostrophes -See possessive apostrophes

Backrow - Not back-row

Blockquote button - Typesetting convention holds that there are two ways to show a quote: either you put quote marks around it and leave it within the current paragraph, or you set it clear of the paragraph in an indented block. WordPress's Blockquote function serves the latter end. When you apply it, the quoted text is indented, italicised and rendered in a different colour, and has a large double quote mark icon floating beside it.

Capitals - To emphasise a word or phrase, use italics, not CAPITALS.

dash - If you like putting a dash within a sentence for a pause effect, don't use a single hyphen. Wordpress will join double and triple hyphens together to make one longer dash.

Dates - 18 May, Saturday, 18 May. Avoid 18th May, May 18, May 18th etc etc.

Double Quotes - Use 'single quotes', not "double quotes". Singles are the standard in UK and Australian publishing, they look nicer and you don't have to use the Shift key to get them.

However always needs a comma after it. If the comma makes your sentence too pausy, change 'However,' to 'But'.

hyphen - If you like putting a dash within a sentence for a pause effect. Wordpress will join double and triple hyphens together to make one longer dash.

Italics - To emphasise a word or phrase, use italics, not CAPITALS.

journeyman — is a labourer who is paid by the day, not someone who travels a lot!

Names — look 'em up! A great place to look is our weekly team list posts.

no. (including the full stop). Don't use the # symbol as an abbreviation for 'Number

Numbers - Spell out numbers up to twelve and use numerals for anything higher — e.g. 'won four Tests', 'average 16 kicks'.

Match reviews/reports - are to be written in the past tense.

Photos - Not Photo's

Photo credits - 'courtesy of'. 'Care of' denotes leaving something behind (i.e. in someone's care)

Positions -
  1. Loosehead prop. Not loose head.
  2. Hooker
  3. Tighthead prop. Not tight head.
  4. Lock or loosehead lock or second rower. Not 2nd rower
  5. Lock or tighthead lock or second rower. Not 2nd rower
  6. Blindside flanker.
  7. Openside flanker.
  8. Number eight or no. eight. Not #8.
  9. Halfback.
  10. Flyhalf.
  11. Left wing or winger.
  12. Inside centre.
  13. Outside centre
  14. Right wing or winger.
  15. Fullback.
Possessive apostrophes - If you're mentioning something owned by or attached to someone — e.g. the Waratahs' game plan, Cooper's kicking boot, Pulver's appointment — the owner noun needs an apostrophe.

per cent - Spell out the words per cent, except in stats-heavy copy like Austin's; the % symbol is OK there.

quotes - Typesetting convention holds that there are two ways to show a quote: either you put quote marks around it and leave it within the current paragraph, or you set it clear of the paragraph in an indented block. WordPress's Blockquote function serves the latter end. When you apply it, the quoted text is indented, italicised and rendered in a different colour, and has a large double quote mark icon floating beside it.

Reserves - There are no 'run on reserves' or run-on reserves.

Reviews - Please make sure all reviews are in the past tense too - even if you're writing them as they happen.

Single Quotes - Use 'single quotes', not "double quotes". Singles are the standard in UK and Australian publishing, they look nicer and you don't have to use the Shift key to get them.

Spaces - Don't put two spaces between sentences.

stadiums - The plural of stadium is stadiums, not stadia.

Super Rugby - not SupeRugby

Superscript - If your word processor has a default setting for superscript ordinals (e.g. in '2nd place', the nd is on an elevated baseline), turn it off. Superscript screws up the line spacing on the published page.

Surnames that end with s- In UK and Australian English, the standard is to put the apostrophe after the name and add another s: Deans's career, Barnes's kicking.

Test - As per writing on cricket, Test as in 'Test match' gets a capital T.

Tri Nations - There is no hyphen

v. - We abbreviate versus as v. (including the full stop) Not V. Not vs.

Webb Ellis Cup - The RWC trophy is the Webb Ellis Cup — no William, no hyphen.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ironic that the spammers posted that in the Translations thread but in French. Amused me anyway! ;)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ in case you were wondering & according to GoogleTranslate:

Deleted is for the realization of overweight side effects of the body, take a stab at ordinary stage. Yes this trial is currently made great recovery with a blazing time of distracted level of body fat. Now can be effectively judge the results within a couple of weeks time. Made with all herbs and supplements single security, full subsistence trial for attempted without apprehension.

Deleted are mostly known as colon cleansing equation, which serves to discharge a wide range of wastes and poisons destructive of the organism. He critical fasteners that drain away easily all the disadvantages of bloating and stops loosely. It also improves the level of the digestion system and improves the digestive capacity of the internal framework of a couple of weeks time.

Link deleted

Get before it's gone, I reckon:)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You too hey? I was hoping for something better when I plugged it into translate. But now. Stupid.

Liam Robertson

Peter Burge (5)
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm new to the forum and I am wanting to start a new thread, yet I don't know how. If anyone has any information that could help, please don't hesitate!

Thanks,
LR