• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

G&GR Wallaby Player of the year: v ITY (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
louie said:
3.Smith
2.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
1.Cross

don't know what this burgess love is all about. didn't think much of him last night. he's distributions worry me a lot, pluus the ball leaks out far too much. valentine should have been given more.
thought barnes had a bad game. he needs to be more commanding.
the front row was great. kimlin showed great fitness and quade had some nice moments.

from the Aus today

The pleasing elements outweigh the negative indicators. Foremost among them is halfback Luke Burgess, who continues to reinforce the opinion that he is one of those rare players whose form improves against better quality opposition. His sniping runs from the ruck base against Italy added another dimension to Australia's existing attack, but, more than that, they made it easier for five-eighth Berrick Barnes and Quade Cooper to attack by slowing the line speed of the Italian defence.

"He creates doubt," Deans said of his halfback. "He gives them a lot more time and space because of the uncertainty in the defence."

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
fatprop said:
louie said:
3.Smith
2.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
1.Cross

don't know what this burgess love is all about. didn't think much of him last night. he's distributions worry me a lot, pluus the ball leaks out far too much. valentine should have been given more.
thought barnes had a bad game. he needs to be more commanding.
the front row was great. kimlin showed great fitness and quade had some nice moments.

from the Aus today

The pleasing elements outweigh the negative indicators. Foremost among them is halfback Luke Burgess, who continues to reinforce the opinion that he is one of those rare players whose form improves against better quality opposition. His sniping runs from the ruck base against Italy added another dimension to Australia's existing attack, but, more than that, they made it easier for five-eighth Berrick Barnes and Quade Cooper to attack by slowing the line speed of the Italian defence.

"He creates doubt," Deans said of his halfback. "He gives them a lot more time and space because of the uncertainty in the defence."

yeah i understand that but your not really answering anything i said.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
the gambler said:
3 - Gits

Whoops, old habbits die hard.
Fair point... should we just give up on voting and award Giteau the trophy now?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
3-burgess
2-barnes
1-turner

i really dislike cross at 13, with ball in hand he has a very hard time running straight, he makes half breaks but almost always they come at the expense of his outside men, i dont think he is capable of coming inside to beat a tackle, he more or less runs at a 45 degree angle for the sideline, the defence lets him most of the time cos they feel they can push him out.

i liked pek, but he really needs to work on his engagements, he seemed to have a lot of trouble finding balance first up, he had to fight for it, against a better scrummer he will be on his back foot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
louie said:

yeah i understand that but your not really answering anything i said.

What I like about Burgess is he speed to get the ball cleared. Sometimes the actual clearance might not be as precise as we like, but he gets the ball out and the quicker we can get it into Git's hands the better I reckon. Gregan used to dither around waiting for the ball to be served up on a platter. Burgo is in there digging it out and getting it to his backs. That's great.

The other obvious thing that he did well on the weekend was snipe. And always with the ball in two hands ready for the off load or even kick. That creates a lot of 2nd guessing in the defensive line and should open up more opportunities for his outside men as the opposition focus more on Luke.

Great game I thought.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
waratahjesus said:
i really dislike cross at 13, with ball in hand he has a very hard time running straight, he makes half breaks but almost always they come at the expense of his outside men, i dont think he is capable of coming inside to beat a tackle, he more or less runs at a 45 degree angle for the sideline, the defence lets him most of the time cos they feel they can push him out.

I agree completely. Cross is hopeless and is a backline killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.