• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gay Rugby World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It takes a NZ correspondent to show us how to market this tournament.

Go Convicts.

you mean this one?

mccaw-offside-t-shirt_zps6e8ab122.jpg

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The bloke overstepped the mark and you called him out in the thread he did it in. Leave it at that and move on please.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Never had a problem with Gay people be it rugby players or otherwise.

But why can't gay people be intergrated into mainstream rugby and accepted throughout the Code.

They don't need marginisation, just acceptance within the wider group of rugby enthusists.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Never had a problem with Gay people be it rugby players or otherwise.

But why can't gay people be intergrated into mainstream rugby and accepted throughout the Code.

They don't need marginisation, just acceptance within the wider group of rugby enthusists.

We've had this discussion multiple times before. If you're interested, read through this thread from the start.

Having a specific event for a minority group (which is organised and run by that minority) doesn't marginalise that group.

The path to acceptance begins with highlighting that there is an issue to begin with.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Im just a simple rugby supporter. I acknowledge the rights of others. Still redckon it should be a unified group whether you are gay, hetro or whatever. The common thresad for me is rugby

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The PC can be a bit overbearing at times. It was actually a gay person who made that comment to me. Often the tone and intent of a comment in the context it was said is more important than the language that was actually said.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
"The Rugby Player"

ABC2, Wednesday 20th August, 8.30pm

What does it take to be a hero? Explores the lives of Mark Bingham, one of the passengers of United Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, and his remarkable mother Alice Hoagland and her ongoing advocacy for LGBT rights.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mark's in Town

The Bingham Cup is on this week.

Bondi-Tens-2013.jpg

Games are on:
Friday (Pool Games 9:30 - 4:30),
Saturday (Quarter Finals and Women's Games 8:30 - 4:30),
Sunday (Finals 8:30 - 4:00)

Games will be played on Woollahra Oval 1, 2, 3 and Lyne Park Rose Bay.

Daily Admission is $10. Tickets from here:-> https://binghamcup.iwannaticket.com.au/event/bingham-cup-sydney-2014-NzI0Mw.dt

Spectators are encouraged to come along; leave the car at home and get public transport Buses 324, 325 or 326 from Edgecliff or Kings Cross stations.

Food and drink and numerous bars are available onsite; plus there will be no shortage of surprises.

(Parking is restricted. If you need to drive, parking may be available on O’Sulllivan Rd, Lyne Park and Lyne Park Tennis Courts, New South Rd, all in Rose Bay and 5 mins walk to Bingham Cup HQ).

fair-day-77.jpg

Photos from: http://binghamcup.com/

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Shouldn't this thread be renamed? It might have cut the mustard in 2012 when it was started but in 2014 I find it offending even my sensibilities - besides which I'm told anyone can play.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shouldn't this thread be renamed? It might have cut the mustard in 2012 when it was started but in 2014 I find it offending even my sensibilities - besides which I'm told anyone can play.

It would seem that the latest alternate nomenclature for the Bingham Cup is "The Gay and Inclusive Rugby World Cup".

If Aunty ABC is using that term, then that's good enough for me.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-...phobia-inclusion-policy/5707196?section=sport

John Eales hails Australian Rugby Union's inclusion policy taking stand against homophobia

Follow on point. ARU have signed off on an inclusion policy. Australia's major sporting codes pledged to do so with much fanfare back in April. Rugby is the only one of them to achieve their objective.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would seem that the latest alternate nomenclature for the Bingham Cup is "The Gay and Inclusive Rugby World Cup".

If Aunty ABC is using that term, then that's good enough for me.

The official banners promoting the event along Oxford St say The World Cup of Gay Rugby.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Do any Super Rugby teams use this as a potential opportunity to scout players? What sort of standard is the Bingham Cup?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do any Super Rugby teams use this as a potential opportunity to scout players? What sort of standard is the Bingham Cup?

The team that won, The Sydney Convicts are a subbies team. The standard is reasonable but there aren't players banging down the door to become professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.