• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gerrard is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Brumbies fullback Mark Gerrard has been released from the third year of his contract with the ACT province and the Australian Rugby Union.

The 26-year-old has signed with Japanese second division club, NTT Communications, and cited the desire for his young family to experience a foreign culture as the reason behind seeking the release.

Gerrard has played 79 Super Rugby caps and is third on the CA Brumbies? list of all-time point scorers with 306 points, behind Stirling Mortlock (963 points) and Joe Roff (590 points).

He made his CA Brumbies debut against the Sharks in 2003 (having made his Super 12 debut for the Waratahs the previous year) and was a member of the 2004 Super 12-winning side, including a three-try haul against the Crusaders in the final.

"My family and I have loved our time at the Brumbies and in Canberra and we?ll always consider ourselves members of the Brumbies family," Gerrard said.

"[My wife] Larisa and I have always wanted to experience a different culture and our children are at a good age for us to do that now.

"This is my ninth season of Super Rugby and with the kids now five and three, we believe this is the right time to try our hand at living overseas.

"But I?m still only 26 and after we?d had a chance to live away for a year or two, I definitely wouldn?t rule out the possibility of returning to play in Australia and pulling on the Brumbies strip again."

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says Gerrard has been an integral member of the CA Brumbies over the past seven years.

"Mark and his manager flagged the idea of a release option in his contract when we negotiated his existing three-year deal and has exercised that option and experience living abroad," he said.

"Mark has been a tremendous performer for the CA Brumbies and the Wallabies over an extended period of time. His form this year alone suggests that he still has many good seasons ahead of him but he still has a very important role to play with us for the remainder of the 2009 Super 14 season and we?d love to see him farewelled on a winning note.

"We can appreciate that he has a young family and wants them to experience a different culture. He has been very open and honest throughout this process and we wish Mark, Larissa, Markus and Milana all the best beyond this season."

Ahh bugger. Not many players with his capacity to control a game in Australia. Good luck to him though. I can't blame a guy of his age wanting to live O/S for while.

I feel that James O'Connor will sign on with the Brumbies now that the fullback position is open.

F

formeropenside

Remind me again why a 5th team is a good idea when players starting for the existing 4 teams are heading O/S in droves?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
if not JO'C then Lealiifano as fullback maybe. although i could still see either of them as 12 with T Smith moving to a wing keeping Morty at 13 and Mini Cooper on the other wing. how's that for a backline?

9 - Holmes
10 - Gits
11 - T Smith
12 - J O'Connor/Leal
13 - Morty
14 - AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15 - Leal/J O'Connor

i'd say that looks pretty flash

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
What we need is the ARC back, that's why we can't hold onto fringe wallaby players past 25 years old.

Forget the 5th team get the Reds right 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.