• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Get Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Just wondering what everyone's views were on this organisation?

They appeared to be pretty above board and really added to the political environment in the 'keeping the bastards honest' kind of way when they first started, but they now seem to be more and more controlled by factions and the far left. Unions making massive donations to them. Soros funding them heavily.

The latest is a planned boycott of any retailer that funds anti-carbon tax advertisements. So much for Get Up! supporting free speech.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
GetUp used to be pretty good (as you say). Now they are far too political. I agree with just about everything they campaign for, but the point is they shouldn't be pushing any political agenda.

But yea, i don't know with GetUp right now. It is very unclear what they are trying to do.

Reactions: DPK

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah that Carbon tax one is going way too far. I am not concerned with them supporting the tax but boycotting business who fight it? No thanks.

Some of the stuff they do is very good, on issues that need this kind of activism. Gay marriage is a prime example, or housing affordability. Their ties to unions and Labor are a double-edged sword- obviously it is starting to colour the issues they campaign on, but the financial backing that is provided allows them to go way above any other activist organisation and actually get shit done.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Looking into this most recent saga a bit more, it doesn't seem like such a bad idea (i think?). Scare campaigns are part of the downfall of politics in this country, i'm all for protesting them. It's just when getup starts saying "we should/shoulnd't have a carbon/mining tax" that it becomes pointless. Or if they protest adverts that aren't actually scare campaigns.

I can understand them standing up for honest advertising where the facts aren't distorted, those "boat people" ads ruined the last election. Or possibly any injustices, inequality, any form of unfair treatment. As long as they stay out of the political/policy arena it is all good.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I hate getup with a passion, so cliched and stereotypically left wing "youth" saying they represent young people and are a lobbying organisation without any affiliation and shit is just lying. They don't keep the bastards honest, the democrats did, and they're coming back.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Pretty sure that Bill Shorten was involved in setting them up and they have many members that are most certainly not youth. Especially when you think about donations (and direction) from George Soros.

Edit: Might be wrong about Soros, seems he may not have funded GetUp!, but instead Avaaz.org, another organisation started by GetUp!'s founders.

And they pretend to be independent:

GetUp is an independent, grass-roots community advocacy organisation giving everyday Australians opportunities to get involved and hold politicians accountable on important issues.

Whether it is sending an email to a member of parliament, engaging with the media, attending an event or helping to get a television ad on the air, GetUp members take targeted, coordinated and strategic action.

GetUp does not back any particular party, but aims to build an accountable and progressive Australia - an Australia with economic fairness, social justice and environmental sustainability at its core.

GetUp is a not-for-profit organisation and receives no money from any political party or the government. We rely solely on funds and in-kind donations from the Australian public.

http://www.getup.org.au/about/disclosure

$1.1 million from the CFMEU.

The big issue I have with them is they are pretending to be this 'grass roots' and 'youth' movement, which allows them to gain the trust and support of young Australians, but what they say they are and what they really are appears to be poles apart.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Here is a list of their accepted ideas: http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/...5-i-suggest-a-campaign-about-/filter/accepted

It would be a far stretch to say they are bias towards any major political party, or push an agenda for their biggest donators. The main criticism seems to be that they are using the term "grassroots organisation" to participate in activities a political movement would do. The people running the joint seem confused at times, they definitely need to re-evaluate their goals as an organisation to clear things up.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I was a big fan of Get Up when it started. To me they were a breath of fresh air on the political scene. I was and still am completely over the bullshit that passes for politics in this country. The short sighted, sound bite crap that does the rounds really belittles my intelligence. Anyway as time went on I felt that all Get Up could do is protest against things. They are reactionary not proactive. Not what I am looking for. If someone finds something that wants to build a country not tear it down let me know. End Rant.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Shorten was a former Board member.

A few weeks ago I was up at Parl House for a meeting and was not surprised to see the current face of Get Up Simon Sheikh coming out of a certain prominent politicians' office.

Not a huge fan of their work as it's fairly predictable and just reminds me of Uni politics just with more cash in the bank.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I hate getup with a passion, so cliched and stereotypically left wing "youth" saying they represent young people and are a lobbying organisation without any affiliation and shit is just lying. They don't keep the bastards honest, the democrats did, and they're coming back.

Getup's average member age is 50-55, the youth political organisation is a myth. While I don't necessarily agree with all of their positions that's not the point, you sign up for the campaigns that interest you and ignore the others. That's the point of difference with the major parties where everything must fall under the one umbrella. I think there definitely needs to be something to shake up the stale air of politics.

And I'm not a member btw.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Shorten was a former Board member.

A few weeks ago I was up at Parl House for a meeting and was not surprised to see the current face of Get Up Simon Sheikh coming out of a certain prominent politicians' office.

Not a huge fan of their work as it's fairly predictable and just reminds me of Uni politics just with more cash in the bank.

Thanks for the insight ACT C. I strongly suspect that the office he came out of was not one of a Liberal member.

They may not be officially aligned, but I don't think anyone could doubt as to which side they sleep with.

Pretty sure the only Labor policy that they have campaigned against was the internet filter.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think they're essential for democracy in this country. They research policy and, based on community engagement (I've engaged in the past), identify policies to oppose or support. They ask for donations to fund their positions and accept them from whomever offers them including unions but, if their interests were aligned, I'm sure from organisations on the other side of politics as well.

They've been more successful than they expected due to the huge number of voters dissatisfied with the shallow rubbish served up by the major parties. That has meant more support, bigger campaigns etc. They've had to adapt but their principles have remained unchanged and they're supporters are most likely still the same. I support some of their actions and ignore others. I supported their support of Julian Assange. No one else in politics (or the mainstream media as I recall) voices support for issues that I'm interested in to the extent GetUp do.

I wholly support a campaign against a scare campaign. Sure, it shouldn't be necessary, but look at what the miners did for the mining tax. If GetUp had thrown a bit of opposition at that, perhaps we wouldn't have backtracked so far. For those who think the miners were right, we can discuss that elsewhere.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Thanks for the insight ACT C. I strongly suspect that the office he came out of was not one of a Liberal member.

They may not be officially aligned, but I don't think anyone could doubt as to which side they sleep with.

Pretty sure the only Labor policy that they have campaigned against was the internet filter.

Scotty that whole post is innuendo. Beyond thanking ACTC, you've added no value to this thread with that input. The reason innuendo is abhorrent is that its not based on fact, its based on prejudice. If you go to the GetUp website (I know, I know, research isn't your strong point), you'll find that the six current campaigns (http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns) are all pushing the Government one way or another.

C

chief

GetUp lost every shred of credibility after their Tony Abbott election ads.

[video=youtube;pJTX0iWYX9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTX0iWYX9A[/video]

That is partisan, and clearly shows they have an agenda. The ad isn't relevant in the slightest, as is their presence on the national stage. They are irrelevant.

They have also advocated for a Super banks profit tax.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Was about to raise that exact point Chief. Those ads were nothing more than political hackery.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Scotty that whole post is innuendo. Beyond thanking ACTC, you've added no value to this thread with that input. The reason innuendo is abhorrent is that its not based on fact, its based on prejudice. If you go to the GetUp website (I know, I know, research isn't your strong point), you'll find that the six current campaigns (http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns) are all pushing the Government one way or another.

I have been to their website a few times thank you very much. Just because you classify my post as innuendo doesn't mean it isn't true. Bookies would give some short prices on it.

It light of the advertisement that chief brings up, do you still think they are totally independent? You just love blindly defending anything I question, don't you?!

Chief,

If I recall correctly, that advertising campaign was the one funded by the unions.

C

chief

I have been to their website a few times thank you very much. Just because you classify my post as innuendo doesn't mean it isn't true. Bookies would give some short prices on it.

It light of the advertisement that chief brings up, do you still think they are totally independent? You just love blindly defending anything I question, don't you?!

Chief,

If I recall correctly, that advertising campaign was the one funded by the unions.

Indeed trade unions and get up members were asked to fund it. I will also point out that this I think was the first ad Get Up got on FTA television. It wasn't a lobbying ad, it was an anti Abbott ad. What a farce.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
If you want a party to cut through the rubbish, simply help with the rebuilding of the democrats, other than that, it is obvious they are purely left wing lobbyists masquerading as a youth organisation, and that last bit is my main problem, they continually state they are representing 18-35 year olds etc etc when they arent. Democrats were and can be again, the regulators of australian politics, just need people to realise they are needed to keep the other parties from becoming more radicalised than neccessary.

C

chief

If you want a party to cut through the rubbish, simply help with the rebuilding of the democrats, other than that, it is obvious they are purely left wing lobbyists masquerading as a youth organisation, and that last bit is my main problem, they continually state they are representing 18-35 year olds etc etc when they arent. Democrats were and can be again, the regulators of australian politics, just need people to realise they are needed to keep the other parties from becoming more radicalised than neccessary.

Democrats are dead and buried. They need a personality like Don Chipp and Scott-Despoja to start up again. Two vibrant figures like them hold the key to creating a similar party like them. I do however feel sorry for the Democrats, they were stacked with old lefties like Meg Lees and Andrew Bartlett who eventually ended up joining the Greens. They helped pass the GST (a good piece of public policy) and they and not the Liberal Party were mostly effected by it. They were good in balance of power, and I really think the Greens with the SOLE balance of power is really quite dangerous. Particular when/if Coalition takes power in two years time, I really wouldn't rule out a double dissolution within 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.