• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Giteau wants to play in France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Wow

TEST five-eighth Matt Giteau will seek a release from the Australian Rugby Union to play in France, according to a French media report.

Giteau wants the ARU to grant him permission to play in France before the next World Cup in 2011, possibly as early as next year, according to French rugby newspaper Midi Olympique's Monday edition.

It was reported Giteau wants a short-term release to play in France similar to the deal All Blacks five-eighth Daniel Carter struck with the New Zealand Rugby Union to sign with Perpignan.

"After the tour, I am going to discuss with the federation to see if it will authorise me to get some experience in France. like what the NZRU did with Carter," Giteau was quoted as saying. "It would be fantastic. I adore your country, your way of life, your food, the croissants at breakfast."

Giteau did not say what year he would like to play in France but he was quoted as saying he wants to do it "before the next World Cup".

Giteau is contracted with the ARU until the end of 2011, but his deal to play for the Western Force expires after next season. However, he is in dispute with the franchise over money he is owed from the third-party sponsorship he had with Firepower, and there are reports he wants to leave the Force immediately.

Giteau has been tight-lipped on the Force/Firepower issue but was quoted in Midi Olympique as saying: "I am going to settle all that with my agent as soon as I return to Australia."

F

formeropenside

I dont really have strong feelings about this one way or another. My only concerns is a floodgates one: what if good Queenslanders wanted to skip the S14 to play NH rugby for the money?

R

rugbywhisperer

Didn't 'Hand job' play in Italy last year and is now back for the Tahs for 09.
I think that while the local scene amy suffer some of our players will get invaluable experience from overseas playing.
Lets hope - and it's a longshot that Lloyd Johanson learnt something, but I don't know if he is returning sometime soon.

I don't see what increased experience Gits can get other than do a Fitzy and become a wine connoisseur.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
rugbywhisperer said:

You mean Ben Hand? Sort of, he's returned to Aus after playing for Calvisano, but with the Brumboys, not the Tahs.

On that topic (and to digress this one), anyone know how Hand went in Italy?

R

rugbywhisperer

Ash said:
rugbywhisperer said:
You mean Ben Hand? Sort of, he's returned to Aus after playing for Calvisano, but with the Brumboys, not the Tahs.
On that topic (and to digress this one), anyone know how Hand went in Italy?
Yes its Ben. Obviously the local pronunciation gets confusing.
I have heard he did OK but that was fom a few woodies mates.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I say let him play, miss 2009 super 14 as he isn't getting paid anyway & then comeback for the 2009 inbound tests.

It will be good to see how JOC (James O'Connor) & Daruda go for the Force.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Another article on this - JON seems pretty adamant, though how often do you see the "nothing is wrong" speech shortly before a hasty departure? No contract survives first contact with the enemy lawyer.... I'd say the figure of $10mill is only with respect to exchange rates.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24721485-23217,00.html

Matt Giteau to decide between a $10m French offer or a Wallabies jersey

By Andrew Webster
November 29, 2008

AUSTRALIA five-eighth Matt Giteau has received an astronomical offer worth $10 million to play club rugby in France - a deal that would make him the highest paid player in the world in either rugby code.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Bayonne, the club that snatched rugby league half-back Craig Gower from Penrith last season, has made the approach to Giteau.

Giteau met with billionaire club powerbroker Alain Afflelou before his side's thrilling victory over France at Stade Francais in Paris last weekend.

Sources in France report that a four-year deal worth almost a staggering $10 million is on the table.

It is understood Giteau has discussed the move with Wallabies coach Robbie Deans and has been wrestling with the offer for most of the European tour, on which he has been in career-best form.

He will be a key figure as the Wallabies try to go unbeaten in Europe as they play Wales at Cardiff early Sunday morning (EDT).

While the deal would edge Giteau ahead of New Zealand playmaker Daniel Carter as the highest paid rugby player in the world, it is understood he is reluctant to walk away from the national side before the 2011 World Cup - unless the game's officials relax their rules that prohibit Wallabies players from representing their country if they are playing with overseas clubs.

His deal with the ARU deal expires at the end of 2011.

Giteau is equally desperate to avoid putting money ahead of a Wallabies jersey but needs to offset a reported $1.6 million shortfall in earnings after third-party deals brokered between failed petrol pill company Firepower and his former manager, Greg Keenan, fell through earlier this year.

The ARU has refused to cover the shortfall because it is a third-party deal and will not allow him to walk out of his Force contract so he can return to the Brumbies.

If Giteau rejects the $10 million offer out of loyalty to the Wallabies, he will consider asking Western Force for a temporary release so he can play for Bayonne on a short-term deal similar to the one Carter has struck with Perpignan.

Carter's deal is reportedly worth $1.5 million and Giteau - who would be the highest paid player in Australia if his third-party deals were honoured - could expect to attract a similar amount.

Giteau told French newspaper Midi Olympique this week: "After the tour, I am going to discuss with the federation to see if it will authorise me to get some experience in France like what the NZRU did with Carter. It would be fantastic.

"I adore your country, your way of life, your food."

French agent Pierre Vandome, who was crucial to Gower's shock move to Bayonne last year, is brokering the stunning attempt to lure Giteau. He also facilitated former New South Wales coach Ewen McKenzie's move to Stade Francais.

If Giteau wants to sign with French rugby in the long or short term, he already has a staunch opponent in ARU boss John O'Neill.

Giteau raised the notion of playing rugby in France when the pair met in London a fortnight ago.

It was flatly rejected.

"As far as we're concerned, he is contracted with the ARU until the World Cup and the Force until the end of next season," said O'Neill.

"He is not going anywhere."

S

Spook

Lot of moneys. I think this would be pretty bad for the Wallabies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Good riddance. He's as overrated as Tuqiri. We'd miss his goal kicking and that's about it.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Scarfman said:
You just have to say the opposite, don't you naz?

Find any post where I've ever rated him.

He's clearly not a flyhalf. I don't know that he has much to offer us as 12 anymore either. There sure isn't a lot of room in midfield these days and there's no co-incidence we're seeing guys like Nonu and Mortlock there (and Tom Carter and Scott Staniforth at S14 level). He's a talented but engimatic footballer in search of a position. Let's stop pretending he's a world class back we can build a team around.

S

Spook

I don't think the loss of Australia's best back and possibly player is a good thing personally. :thumb

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Grandmaster Flash said:
naza said:
Scarfman said:
You just have to say the opposite, don't you naz?

Find any post where I've ever rated him.
naza said:
3 Giteau - goal kicking determined the match
2 Moore
1 Palu
:nta:

However I do agree with you that he's not the best long term solution for the 10 jersey.

I guess you missed the part where I said

We'd miss his goal kicking and that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.