• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Over on TWF a poster has mentioned that the Falcons will be based in Malaysia for the duration of the competition playing out of both KL and Borneo. They will also be supplemented by some of the local national team players and Borneo Eagles players. Apparently Luke McAllister is over their at present playing and is likely to join this team.
Is love to see some plans for Malaysia and Singapore where the first year let’s say 4-5 people in the squad of around 30 are qualified for the national team, then gradually increase that number per season, that after 6/7 years the squad has to have 15 qualified players, or something along those lines.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Over on TWF a poster has mentioned that the Falcons will be based in Malaysia for the duration of the competition playing out of both KL and Borneo. They will also be supplemented by some of the local national team players and Borneo Eagles players. Apparently Luke McAllister is over their at present playing and is likely to join this team.

So are the Falcons essentially the Malaysian team or will there be another Malaysian team as well?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Build it and they will come. Malaysia has big rugby community so give it time I do see it could be successful. Sure we might have the odd miss team wise but as long as more hits then misses growing the game in Asia and providing more pro opportunities closer to home can only be a good thing.

I suspect most true rugby fans want this competition to suceed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Build it and they will come. Malaysia has big rugby community so give it time I do see it could be successful. Sure we might have the odd miss team wise but as long as more hits then misses growing the game in Asia and providing more pro opportunities closer to home can only be a good thing.

I suspect most true rugby fans want this competition to suceed.

The key to any success will be the respective teams ability to connect and engage with the existing scene as well as support initiatives designed to grow both playing numbers and spectators in general. These things will take time and hopefully all involved understand that this will be at the very least a 5-10 year venture.

But I do agree. Asia is somewhere that should be explored and developed.

Clavis Ruo

Frank Nicholson (4)
While
Is love to see some plans for Malaysia and Singapore where the first year let’s say 4-5 people in the squad of around 30 are qualified for the national team, then gradually increase that number per season, that after 6/7 years the squad has to have 15 qualified players, or something along those lines.

Yes, ideally there will be some homegrown players involved especially for matches played at home. A Singapore or Malaysian team without local players will get no traction with the home media, and hence home crowds. Even one or two would be enough.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Clear as day global rapid rugby no chance of kicking off end of feb..when will it kick off and with how many teams is the question. No criticism here as most understand challenges of launching a new competition and managing setbacks etc but just genuinely wondering where things are at...

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Cut their losses and aim for a 2020 start, will be players left right and centre looking for cashed up contracts which will be perfect to give the comp some credibility and marketable star power

Better off taking their time and getting it right than rushing in and starting it purely for the sake of getting it started

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or start smaller - start with 6 teams perhaps.

I am wondering at this point whether the competition will get of the ground this year...

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
If it's only 6 teams, it doesn't need to start in February.
I'm happy to be patient as it's been <2 months since GRR was approved by World Rugby (14 Nov).
In reality it was never going to be announced over the Christmas/New year period.

I'm still hopeful of a 2019 kick-off for GRR but another group of invitational games - hopefully both home and away - would be a good alternative and a great lead-up to the RWC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would not be surprised given setbacks and challenges of organising a cross border competition that they may well have decided to delay the start to 2020. As given World Cup year and now clear won’t be ready to start until mid year that best probably deferred to next year and then give time for nz and western Sydney teams to be involved. I think the latter two would need to be involved to make grr more marketable for early stages and reckon twiggys team come to the same conclusion.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would not be surprised given setbacks and challenges of organising a cross border competition that they may well have decided to delay the start to 2020. As given World Cup year and now clear won’t be ready to start until mid year that best probably deferred to next year and then give time for nz and western Sydney teams to be involved. I think the latter two would need to be involved to make grr more marketable for early stages and reckon twiggys team come to the same conclusion.

And that's all fine. Just wish they'd communicate exactly what the hell is going on a little more.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I suspect now they have realised 2019 launch not feasible they are beavering away on stop gap and some other positive developments to announce (for 2020 launch) to negate the negative from deferring the competition from previously planned end of February launch.

Much harder to launch a cross border competition than a national domestic competition so can understand the delays if now shifted the goalposts to 2020 launch date.