• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How about a Twiggy owned and backed Western Sydney side in SS for 2019 leading to its inclusion in GRR from next year? I imagine there a a few current Force players with continuing ties to Sydney who wouldn't be averse to spending 6 months or so based in Sydney this year.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pr
How about a Twiggy owned and backed Western Sydney side in SS for 2019 leading to its inclusion in GRR from next year? I imagine there a a few current Force players with continuing ties to Sydney who wouldn't be averse to spending 6 months or so based in Sydney this year.
problem is they could not pay the players as Shute shield does not allow for it hence why would not work

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
would they need to provide a 2s side and a colts and perhaps more? Wasn't that one of the issues with Canberra back in the day?

Essentially, yes. Which is a bit short sighted in my opinion. They could comfortably establish a Premier competition separate of but still intrinsically linked to the club system that would allow for the inclusion of teams from further afield. Short sightedness is the reason the SS has never been more than it is.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Essentially, yes. Which is a bit short sighted in my opinion. They could comfortably establish a Premier competition separate of but still intrinsically linked to the club system that would allow for the inclusion of teams from further afield. Short sightedness is the reason the SS has never been more than it is.

It is not short-sightedness. The Sydney club rugby competition does what it is supposed to, it provides playing opportunities for lots of participants, of varying age and ability. That is why each club is required to field four senior teams and three colts teams every Saturday.

The district clubs do not want a "Premier" competition, as far as I can tell. I think this has got something to do with the grass roots, but I would have to check with one of the local experts on semantics.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
It is not short-sightedness. The Sydney club rugby competition does what it is supposed to, it provides playing opportunities for lots of participants, of varying age and ability. That is why each club is required to field four senior teams and three colts teams every Saturday.

The district clubs do not want a "Premier" competition, as far as I can tell. I think this has got something to do with the grass roots, but I would have to check with one of the local experts on semantics.

If that's the case they why are they so obstructionist with the ARC and now the NRC??? In my view, their role in canning the ARC after 1 season was the start of the current situation we find ourselves in.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Yes. They do. They've talked about being the true third tier and having that status in the past. A large part of the funding debate centred around this very issue.

As for short sightedness. The clubs can fill both roles but choose to allow this stubborn and shortsighted belief of all or nothing get in their way. When I entered Colts in the early 00's there was talk of a national club competition. Every club wanted in and that was how I knew as a player that it would never happen. The all or nothing BS that weighs the club game down in this country and particularly the SS.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Talk about a national club competition? We, or some of us, have been around this debating point a number of times. So far I have not seen or heard of a rational way to set up a national club competition, other than by creating new "club" entities. That was attempted with the ARC. I suppose in a way it is also attempted in the NRC model.

Explain to us clearly exactly how a third tier domestic club competition would work. Would all senior clubs in Australia be included? All 60 or 80 of them? Or would a select few be chosen, immediately putting all the rest offside with the concept?

I am genuinely interested, not having a go at you.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I never proposed a national club competition. I mentioned the talk of it when I entered Colts and that the typical club issues and stubbornness around not wanting to compromise on what each potential candidate wanted is what was always going to get in its way.

But if you want to do this. Fine, let's do this.

Would all senior clubs in Australia be included? All 60 or 80 of them?

No. That's pretty obvious.

Or would a select few be chosen, immediately putting all the rest offside with the concept?

The answer to this is let them sort it out themselves. A great model that has recently emerged is that of Major League Rugby. Which essentially sets minimum criteria for bidding groups must meet. Non-negotiable criteria such as minimum funding levels and a licencing fee. The key determination early on will be deciding exactly what they want this to be. Elite amateur or semi-professional. Major League Rugby is set to be professional and called for bids to possess 5 seasons worth of funding plus a minimum $500k licencing fee to enter the league. These criteria contained the ability to cover travel and accommodation etc.

Not suggesting the same levels would be needed unless they were looking to be a professional league themselves but this is a solid model to build from. This would allow the clubs to assess their ability to meet these criteria. If they cannot they either need to look to form partnership/JV's or accept their place in the pecking order. Much like many teams in the SANFL, WAFL, VFL had to as the AFL grew.

I suspect you'll see some hard decisions made and some JV's will be formed. In fact, I suspect we'll see a mix of bid compositions. Individual clubs, JV's and quasi-rep squads.

This doesn't require massive change to the general nature of the playing ranks of the clubs. Just an elevation of the current 1st grade of the respective winning bidders to premier status and elevation of grades 2-4 up one as well. This way clubs could still compete in their traditional local structures and at an elite national level. If they are JV's or quasi-rep the impact on the newly elevate 2nd -1st grade would be lessened. There is a way to do this.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
What do you think the chances are of that happening? Not great if you ask me for a couple of reasons I'd imagine.
Yeh, I can't see it happening.

But a little bit of thinking outside the square could give the Force a place to play and really generate some interest in Shute.

Think even Concord Oval might pull in a nice little crowd for the Pirates for that game.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/f...ion-in-the-global-rapid-rugby-later-this-week

FRU to confirm participation in the Global Rapid Rugby later this week

JANUARY 14, 2019 4:04 PM

oconnor_960x540.jpg

Fiji Rugby Union Chief Executive John O’Connor says they will confirm their participation in the Global Rapid Rugby by the end of this week.
O’Connor says they have done all the logistics and are hoping to field a strong team in the competition this year.
“If it falls through the competition should be starting at the end of March and our Fijian La Tui’s will be participating in that tournament. We hope to finalize that by the end of the week and will make an announcement.”
The Global Rapid Rugby will consist of teams from eight either countries including Australia, Hong Kong, Japan. Malaysia, Samoa, Singapore, and the United States.
FRU to confirm participation in the Global Rapid Rugby later this week

https://www.fbcnews.com.fj/sports/f...on-in-the-global-rapid-rugby-later-this-week/

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From GRR. It's not happening but a "Showcase Series" is.

A Showcase Series will launch revolutionary sporting brand Global Rapid Rugby in the Asia Pacific region in 2019, featuring a combination of innovative new rules and spectacular off-field entertainment.
Since gaining World Rugby approval to stage an elite-level competition in mid-November last year, the Rapid Rugby management team has worked to ensure the inaugural home-and-away season provides the very best on and off-field sport and entertainment.
That tight time frame and the intricacies of a World Cup year have led to a decision to commence the inaugural 8-team, 56 game home-and-away season in 2020.
In 2019, the Showcase Series will travel throughout Asia, the Pacific Islands and Australasia to give fans, viewers, players and coaches a live taste of what is to come in Season One in 2020, when teams will compete for an AUD$1 million first prize.
Rapid Rugby founder Andrew Forrest says he always knew organising 60 games of high-quality rugby in eight international territories in just 15 weeks was a tough ask, but he’s now more convinced than ever that Rapid Rugby and its innovative and entertaining game style will be a huge success with sports lovers everywhere.
“In 2019, fans are going to get a real feel for how the entertainment experience we pioneered in Australia last year will evolve throughout the Asia Pacific. It will form a runway for the launch of an even bigger investment in 2020, once strong broadcasting arrangements are in place,” Forrest explained.
“Making Rapid Rugby a reality has required a considerable amount of courage and determination. That determination, and our vision, has not changed. The strategy required to realise it requires a strong foundation.”
Rapid Rugby Head of Rugby Matt Hodgson will continue to work with marquee players around 2019 and 2020.
“Rapid Rugby is going to be huge, and the Showcase Series will prove it. We will take our brand around our region to ensure everyone can get up close to Rapid Rugby and everything it has to offer ahead of the first full series,” Hodgson said.
“Like me, the players and teams were ready to go but I am confident the 2019 series will be a great demonstration of what a full season of increased ball-in-play time, attacking, aggressive, high scoring rugby will look like.”
Brad Paatsch led the Global Rapid Rugby management team in gaining World Rugby approval last year and will now work with the many teams, unions, venues, broadcast and commercial partners engaged so far to complete the final details of the 2019 Showcase.
“Our goal remains a big one, but we have long been determined to extend the limits of what is considered possible, in line with our philosophy to shake up the sport, its appeal in Asia and the overall off-field entertainment factor,” Paatsch said.
“With the World Cup in Japan this year, now is the ideal time to capitalise on a growing interest in the sport in our region.”
The 2019 Rapid Rugby Showcase Series schedule will be finalised next month.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From a Hong Kong based poster on another forum.........

have just spoken with our side - totally out of the blue. No-one saw it coming and has put a big spanner in the works for a number of people

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hopefully Western Sydney will be in for the inaugural season then???
Yeah, season 2020 was the magic number – according to the insider's line at the SMH …
The delay will also tie in better with the interests of Rugby Australia and New Zealand Rugby, both of whom had told Forrest they would not sanction more teams in their territories until next year.​
Both unions have changed their tunes on the competition since the early days of suspicion and mistrust. RA now sees Rapid Rugby as capable of doing important market development work in Asia that the union itself cannot afford to undertake.​
Whether fans will keep faith with the concept is another matter​

As a bonus, she's no longer calling it a rebel league – progress indeed

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Hopefully contracts for players, coaches etc can be honoured across the comp for those that have signed up even without any regular games. Some tough conversations if not.