• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

B

Bobby Sands

What are everyone’s thoughts on the short term goals / plans for the Force?

Who will they play and in what windows?

Does it make more sense to create a comp from scratch or join an existing comp?

Is club rugby in WA behind the Force?

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I thought that they were going to have another exhibition/showcase season involving the teams that had signed up for GRR and maybe some other invitees while they got the proper comp sorted to start next year.

B

Bobby Sands

I thought that they were going to have another exhibition/showcase season involving the teams that had signed up for GRR and maybe some other invitees while they got the proper comp sorted to start next year.

Exactly. Anyway I’m going to leave this here.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Competition may have been delayed, but Twiggys finances are as healthy as ever, paid himself a $300million dividend from Fortescues recent profits, which was around $150million more then previously forecast. That kind of wealth is critical to bankrolling a competition like this.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Fiji confirmed on board:

(from FRU Press Release)

For immediate release - Friday 1st March 2019
v7c8ZYnKeeGqPxKbofqjwNFdzp6Gb3nFuL5fHc1P-eUv-CrFEMHiWGwtGHYc_y0Mhb3o92AozRsBVR79-dlVXyvyc0uTGMizYx8-XUdr_DO0c1-jBIeOmrqQ4nbUi-WEv5itM1iSrFPU6rvSTlD0s2cJHEeNDqSOSxA=s0-d-e1-ft

Fiji Rugby is set to embark on a fresh journey of elite international competition launching an exciting new team to play in a home and away Pacific Showcase series this May.
The Fijian Latui, drawn from locally based players will play in the six match Pacific Showcase series, alongside Perth’s Western Force and the Kafiga Samoa team.
The Showcase series is a forerunner to the Global Rapid Rugby Series, to be introduced in 2020, and will be played under a set of experimental rules, endorsed by World Rugby that reward attacking, free-scoring play, and are designed to entertain crowds, make the game faster and showcase spectacular rugby.

Power tries, rolling substitutions, shorter halves, timed set pieces and more make up the revised rules to apply to the series.

The rule changes applicable to the Showcase Series will include:
35 minute halves
9 point Power tries
Kickouts from inside 22 result in turnover to opposition from kicking spot.
Rolling substitutions
Plus a bonus point system

FRU CEO, John O’Connor said “The showcase series looks to bring fast paced, action packed rugby that Fijian fans are sure to love whilst providing our athletes with another high quality competition to play in and gain invaluable exposure to elite performance.”
The Fiji Latui will play two home games on May 18th & 25th, with away games played on 7th June v Kafiga Samoa at Navigation Homes Stadium, Auckland and against Western Force in Perth on 21st June.
The Showcase series has been organised by Australian business man Andrew Forrest and his Global Rapid Rugby venture. A 6 match Asian Showcase series will also be played between 29 March and 12 May featuring the Western Force, the Singapore-based Asia Pacific Dragons and the South China Tigers of Hong Kong.
Winners of the Asia and Pacific Showcase will access to a $50,000 AUD prize pool to assist local community rugby programmes.
The Fijian Latui derive their name from the predatory Fijian Goshawk known for its stealthy but lightning quick attack from both land and air.
O’Connor added “Like Fiji as a nation, the Latui is a smaller sized predator but no less lethal or intimidating as a bird of prey than any of the larger species”
The Fijian Latui will look to emulate these characteristics of intimidation, cunning, pace and attack when they step onto the field against the Western Force and Samoa in the upcoming series.
Fiji Rugby will release more information around the Fijian Latui squad and management composition in the coming weeks followed by match and ticket information.

Global Rapid Rugby today announced the launch of the Showcase Series and extended draw details. You can download the draw and read the full press release here.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fiji confirmed on board:

(from FRU Press Release)

The Force are set to play ten games from the looks of it. With the others teams playing four respectively. Not a bad set up but I wonder why they just didn't go with a combined 5 team - 8 game/per schedule. Anyway. Looking at where the games in HK and Singapore are going to be played I have to wonder if there are better alternatives. Actually I know there are in HK. Mong Kok comes immediately to mind. Just looked up Singapore and Jalan Besar would fit the bill nicely. Hopefully both have ambitions on moving to such facilities when GRR proper kicks off.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am a bit out of touch (as you have suggested) but why would Mongkok be a better alternative? I would not know either way, in my time these sorts of games would have been either at Happy Valley or the Government Stadium.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I am a bit out of touch (as you have suggested) but why would Mongkok be a better alternative? I would not know either way, in my time these sorts of games would have been either at Happy Valley or the Government Stadium.

It's a newer, rectangular sports specific (so no running track) stadium. Has a smaller capacity than Aberdeen (roughly 6500 as opposed to 9k) which means you are more likely to fill it. Which will look better on TV. Overall, it's a much more professional and up to date facility. Same with Jalan Besar in Singapore.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Aberdeen seems to be more orientated towards rugby, from what I gleaned. Mongkok, on the other hand, is pretty much soccer, soccer, soccer, innit?

Maybe there are scheduling issues, contention with the other code.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Aberdeen seems to be more orientated towards rugby, from what I gleaned. Mongkok, on the other hand, is pretty much soccer, soccer, soccer, innit?

Maybe there are scheduling issues, contention with the other code.

The Sunwolves have played out of Mong Kok. It's likely seeing as they are only playing two or three games in HK this year they didn't see the value in working out a deal with the stadium admin.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
So, assuming it's all a go for next year, it's:

Western Force
Fiji Latui
Kagifa Samoa
South China Tigers (i.e. Hong Kong)
Asia Pacific Dragons (i.e. Singapore)
Plus one-three others (possibly Japanese sides).

Anyway, this is an interesting snippet from the West:

GRR has partnered with broadcast company Input Media to produce a live production while negotiations are continuing with leading Asia Pacific TV networks and online broadcasters to televise games and highlights.

If this competition is going to grow it wouldn't hurt to sharpen up the production a little bit, even though last year I thought it was okay under the circumstances.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have just been having an early morning look through the fixture again.

I reckon Minderoo has done a fantastic job in the time available - as I'm sure they were under pressure from World Rugby to have this all wrapped up by end June in recognition of the limited Test window prior to the RWC in Japan and for the Force to be available for the NRC.
They even managed to keep GRR clear of the finals for Super Rugby - which was probably needed to get the tick from RA.

Maintaining the separate Asia and Pacific series focus means that the players are actually playing for something rather than exhibition matches.

Opportunity to have best-of-three focus against the Tigers and Dragons as well as top of table honours.
Not enough time to do the same for the Pacific series but the home-and-away gives the Sea of Blue a chance of holiday travel

Clearly Samoa is not set up, at this stage, to host these games (in the same way as Fiji, but great opportunity to host GRR in the two Islander strongholds of Brisbane and Auckland while giving the East Coast and NZ a taste of GRR.

The Force players will enjoy the motivation of some international travel, the chance to earn some bragging rights over each opposition as well as earning 2 x $50k for community rugby in WA.

Personally the timing isn't perfect as family clashes will prevent the Hong Kong/Singapore double but liking the look of a Brisbane/Auckland holiday in June.

Happy enough with the Friday games (as a chance to knock-off work early), avoids the clash with club rugby and Samoa and Fiji don't like playing on Sunday.

To reiterate - Hodgo and the team at Minderoo have done a fantastic job in limited time in creating a GRR showcase with interest for both fans and the players.

Very excited to see how the new rules work, what's new re the match day experience and be able to watch rugby in a way that was never going to be available to WA though Rugby Australia.
(Still looking to find that development pathway that is supposedly going to be maintained for WA based rugby players)

The pre-Bledisloe game is a fantastic opportunity to fill out the weekend for visiting rugby fans and show off what GRR and a full HBF stadium has to offer as a match day experience.The fans are much closer to the action than at Optus stadium. I hope the opposition is a Barbarians style composite team from the available players from Tigers, Dragons, Latui and Kagifa and maybe some of the marque players who were lined up for GRR.

Bring on the 22 March.
GO YOU WESTERN FORCE.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Interesting:

Official press release from the NHRU:

NHRU Enters Talks About Asia Pacific Rugby

Newcastle and Hunter Rugby Union (NHRU) has entered talks about possibly entering a professional team in a new rugby union competition that will start in the Asia Pacific region next year.

President of NHRU, Bill Clifton, said initial discussions had been held with Global Rapid Rugby about entering a Hunter-based rugby team in the new competition.

“NHRU held talks last week with the head of Global Rapid Rugby, Matt Hodgson, and inspected facilities at No.2 Sportsground, McDonald Jones Stadium and the University of Newcastle,” said Clifton.

“The talks were at a high level where we discussed the ‘pros and cons’ of entering a team from the Hunter Region.”

Global Rapid Rugby has been founded and financially backed by Perth billionaire and mining magnate, Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest. It is being designed to have eight teams from Australia, Fiji, Hong Kong, Japan, Samoa and Singapore playing against each other in 2020.

Clifton said NHRU’s talks with Global Rapid Rugby were known to Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby.

“One of the clear directions from local rugby clubs in formulating a new strategic business plan was for NHRU to explore ways in which we can provide pathways and create rugby attraction in the Hunter Valley,” he said.

“Our next step is to confirm approval by Rugby Australia and NSW Rugby and develop a business plan for the Hunter Region to have a competitive side in 2020.”

The initial talks with Global Rapid Rugby follows confirmation that NSW Rugby is to establish a satellite rugby academy in Newcastle with support from NHRU.

http://nhru.com.au/2019/03/02/nhru-e...pacific-rugby/

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Press release on dated 2nd March.

I certainly missed it.

So are we still looking at a Westetn Sydney team as well? Or is this an alternative?

Could we get both, wouldn't that be good.