• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me having Japan involved in GRR given commercial strength and established solid fan base (re: see Sunwolves supporters and recent crowds for force vs wolves game) is critical as all other markets like Singapore, HK, Malaysia and Fiji and Samoa have less developed rugby markets and/or less attractive commercials - crowds for APD, SCT and even Fiji game shows that.

GRR has to have Japanese team involved and another oz team involved and probably even eventually a kiwi team to provide more solid commercial footing as can't have a bunch of less developed and weaker commercial teams to develop as putting too much risk into the competition. I suspect Hawaii for 2020 now getting an early gig because no Japan team planned for 2020 but that is just more risk as Hawaii more likely at best to get MLR type crowd given again less rugby developed state.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
latui leading 5-0, 8 mins gone try the Walesi Tv app on google play and switch to fiji one ... might work, the livestream online is delayed..

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In Australian grr spokesperson said looking at team from western Sydney or Brisbane. I am hopIng for western Sydney as keen to attend games which latter would enable. Team in Brisbane next makes sense too.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
In Australian grr spokesperson said looking at team from western Sydney or Brisbane. I am hopIng for western Sydney as keen to attend games which latter would enable. Team in Brisbane next makes sense too.

Yeah, that same spokesman also had to deny that the Force would be interested in filling a vacancy in Super Rugby in case one of the other Australian teams had to get the bullet.

I know I'm a little out of the loop but I had no idea things were that dire!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Force joining super rugby would be like deciding to join the titantic...ie not a good idea...

I wonder if any chance of Sunwolves joining Grr as good supporter base despite propping up bottom of the ladder and reckon they would be great addition to GRR as latter would make them competitive with use of marquees to help even out the competition

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
You would have to think GRR has to target Japan, look at the game today against the Brumbies compared to last night Blues Vs Bulls, full house to empty stadium. You would pick up there fan base and with other Asian teams, you could see it work.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You would have to think GRR has to target Japan, look at the game today against the Brumbies compared to last night Blues Vs Bulls, full house to empty stadium. You would pick up there fan base and with other Asian teams, you could see it work.

It has been mentioned previously but the bloke behind the Baabaas and World XV wants/wanted to base a team in Japan. The Sunwolves would be ready made. Purchase the IP rights and hit the ground running.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The biggest issue is the Japanese season is changing to run during their spring/summer months. It will also be the same time as GRR and Super Rugby, so unless the money dramatically improves to combat the Top League, the talent won’t flow to a different franchise.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The trick would not be repeating the stupid mistakes or conditions Super rugby imposed on them. Intergalactic travel, home games in Singapore, Not treating them as some sort of expansion cash cow, Super rugby expansion failed because it had nothing to do with either growing the game or what japan wanted, but a pure TV rights cash grab.
If GRR learn from that and treat the team with the respect they deserve, they will be halfway there.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The biggest issue is the Japanese season is changing to run during their spring/summer months. It will also be the same time as GRR and Super Rugby, so unless the money dramatically improves to combat the Top League, the talent won’t flow to a different franchise.
yeh rebel is certainly looking harder to have Japanese team in GRR which is commercially devastating as they already attracts good crowds / following in big rugby market. Commercially they need some stronger franchises in GRR as replacing Japanese team with Hawaii less attractive and i Am concerned about the teams involved in having too many new untested rugby market franchises is just not putting this competition on the right foundations. I am actually very concerned how this competition might look team participant wise without any Japanese teams

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Look at the full house Sunwolves have for today’s game against the brumbies - would absolutely love Sunwolves to be in GRR as reckon set up perfect for Sunwolves to thrive
In GRR and be a huge win for GRR to have them involved.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Look at the full house Sunwolves have for today’s game against the brumbies - would absolutely love Sunwolves to be in GRR as reckon set up perfect for Sunwolves to thrive
In GRR and be a huge win for GRR to have them involved.

Agree'd it would be a drop in competition but that would probably suit them, play all there games at home in Tokyo, even if you lose alot of your players to companies, you would still have a fairly good wack of players internationally wanting to play there. Hopefully they can sort that out.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Agree'd it would be a drop in competition but that would probably suit them, play all there games at home in Tokyo, even if you lose alot of your players to companies, you would still have a fairly good wack of players internationally wanting to play there. Hopefully they can sort that out.

I don't know how reliant they'll be on sourcing players from the companies. And if they are drawing the crowds it will be attractive to the better Japanese talent.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Krasnoyarsk clubs have become even closer to the GRR. The Moscow lobby in the Russian Union does not like that the last 8 years in the finals of the Russian Championship have been playing Enisei-STM against Krasny Yar. They come up with different solutions to weaken the Krasnoyarsk clubs and Moscow clubs strengthened. The last move of Muscovites. They want to change the calendar of the championship of Russia, so that in the summer there will be a break like in Europe. It pushes Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar even more to get out of the championship of Russia and join the GRR in order to play in normal weather conditions.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Do you guys have accurate data on the GRR calendar for the season 2020? I understand correctly that 6 month from March to August?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Do you guys have accurate data on the GRR calendar for the season 2020? I understand correctly that 6 month from March to August?
It's not confirmed for 2020.

However, the original plan was for an 8-team home-and-away regular season (14 rounds) followed by finals (another 3 weeks).

Subject to change, based on confimation of teams. But on that basis the calendar would span late February to early June (or early March to mid June).