• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
It's not confirmed for 2020.

However, the original plan was for an 8-team home-and-away regular season (14 rounds) followed by finals (another 3 weeks).

Subject to change, based on confimation of teams. But on that basis the calendar would span late February to early June (or early March to mid June).

A break in June as in Super Rugby is not expected? Still, 4 months is too little. I would like the season to be at least 5 months, and ideally 6 months.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
A break in June as in Super Rugby is not expected? Still, 4 months is too little. I would like the season to be at least 5 months, and ideally 6 months.

No chance for 6 months as way too hot in Australia/Asia in Jan and most of Feb..
No break in June as no-one likes to disrupt the season.
March to June is the best available - about 4 months

6 teams playing each other twice is 12 weeks + 2 final weeks = 14 weeks (max)
8 teams playing each other twice is 14 weeks + 3 final weeks = 17 weeks (max).

World Rugby have also requested that GRR fits in with the Global Test window which means that nothing in July (when The Rugby Championship occurs).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me I just can’t see how RA would at this point not be anything but fully behind GRR as growth of league real threat in islands and even Perth itself with continued talk of relocating league side to Perth. I think GRR is hugely important to adressing the continuing threat of league growth in our region. And i can’t buy into at this point how RA could not see anything but positive what GRR trying to do and creating a Fiji and Samoa team as well as new teams in Malaysia, Singapore, HK, and japan. I think though yes they are careful about being too vocal about this support while super rugby broadcast negotiations are still going on as while GRR trying to establish itself it still needs super rugby.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Fiji are playing Samoa this Friday in Auckland, which I believe is the first GRR match on New Zealand soil. It's going to be broadcast on SBS Viceland, it's 15 bucks a ticket and there'll be a live music set, so it would be nice to see it get a respectable attendance.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fiji are playing Samoa this Friday in Auckland, which I believe is the first GRR match on New Zealand soil. It's going to be broadcast on SBS Viceland, it's 15 bucks a ticket and there'll be a live music set, so it would be nice to see it get a respectable attendance.
Yep!

+ Some more detail in the Match thread

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
So Michael Leitch was interviewed for the Planet Rugby website today, mostly talking about the upcoming world cup, but the bit at the end of the article I found interesting.

https://www.planetrugby.com/the-element-of-surprise-has-gone-michael-leitch/

“Sunwolves are what we need to progress in Japanese rugby because the local Top League is not enough,” he added. “The team itself has been booted out of Super Rugby, but it doesn’t mean the Sunwolves closes down.
“There’s potential that we can play in the Rapid Rugby scene, or move to Europe, but having the Sunwolves is key to Japanese rugby.”

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Interesting item here:

Sport: Kagifa Samoa rugby franchise plots long-term vision

RNZ: June 6, 2019

Kagifa Samoa are using Global Rapid Rugby's "Pacific Showcase" as an extended job interview, with a firm eye on the proposed expanded competition in 2020.​

The Samoan franchise were pipped 38-32 by the Fijian Latui in their Rapid Rugby debut in Lautoka last month before being outclassed 63-5 by the Western Force on Friday in Perth.​

CEO Richard Fale said they wanted to be competitive on the field this season, but are already thinking long-term.​

"The best way to view these games that we're playing is as a job interview for 2020 and beyond," he said. "We have two franchises that will be operating in the Global Rapid Rugby competition - there's a Hawaii franchise and the Samoa franchise - so there's 70 positions that we need to fill," he said.​

… <snip> …​

The Pacific Showcase continues on Friday night with Kagifa Samoa hosting their first home match against the Fijian Latui in Auckland - with Apia Park currently being renovated for the upcoming Pacific Games - before wrapping up their campaign next weekend with a rematch against the Western Force in Brisbane.​

Richard Fale said, while the Fijian franchise has been set up as a development programme for the Fiji national team, Kagifa Samoa does not restrict itself to fielding only players of Samoan heritage.​

"You don't have to ethnically be Samoan to be part of the team, which is why we have a significant number of non-Samoans there (including players from Fiji, Tonga, New Zealand and the Cook Islands), because this is a professional franchise operation the same as the Blues or the Crusaders or Toulon or the Saracens," he said.​

… <snip> …​

"From our perspective we still think that the United States is the largest and most lucrative sports entertainment market on the planet, with rugby having significant potential there, and that is a primary drive and focus of our organisation is to help crack the US market in terms of professional rugby."​

Fale said the plan is for both Samoan franchises to conduct their pre-season training in Hawaii ahead of the next season, with one team based on Maui and the other on Oahu, while also travelling to California and New York and spreading games between Samoa, Australia, New Zealand and the US.​

Read more: Here

Sounds like an expensive pre-season/season.

I dunno about this Fale guy. Hawaii seems like an overreach for Rapid Rugby (before the comp even exists) IMO, let alone New York.

Maybe this is putting the "Global" into Global Rapid Rugby. But I just don't want to see the mistakes of Super Rugby made "deja vu all over again" …

Either way, rugby in our part of the world seems to be fluid for the next few years

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting item here:

Sport: Kagifa Samoa rugby franchise plots long-term vision

RNZ: June 6, 2019

Kagifa Samoa are using Global Rapid Rugby's "Pacific Showcase" as an extended job interview, with a firm eye on the proposed expanded competition in 2020.​

The Samoan franchise were pipped 38-32 by the Fijian Latui in their Rapid Rugby debut in Lautoka last month before being outclassed 63-5 by the Western Force on Friday in Perth.​

CEO Richard Fale said they wanted to be competitive on the field this season, but are already thinking long-term.​

"The best way to view these games that we're playing is as a job interview for 2020 and beyond," he said. "We have two franchises that will be operating in the Global Rapid Rugby competition - there's a Hawaii franchise and the Samoa franchise - so there's 70 positions that we need to fill," he said.​

… <snip> …​

The Pacific Showcase continues on Friday night with Kagifa Samoa hosting their first home match against the Fijian Latui in Auckland - with Apia Park currently being renovated for the upcoming Pacific Games - before wrapping up their campaign next weekend with a rematch against the Western Force in Brisbane.​

Richard Fale said, while the Fijian franchise has been set up as a development programme for the Fiji national team, Kagifa Samoa does not restrict itself to fielding only players of Samoan heritage.​

"You don't have to ethnically be Samoan to be part of the team, which is why we have a significant number of non-Samoans there (including players from Fiji, Tonga, New Zealand and the Cook Islands), because this is a professional franchise operation the same as the Blues or the Crusaders or Toulon or the Saracens," he said.​

… <snip> …​

"From our perspective we still think that the United States is the largest and most lucrative sports entertainment market on the planet, with rugby having significant potential there, and that is a primary drive and focus of our organisation is to help crack the US market in terms of professional rugby."​

Fale said the plan is for both Samoan franchises to conduct their pre-season training in Hawaii ahead of the next season, with one team based on Maui and the other on Oahu, while also travelling to California and New York and spreading games between Samoa, Australia, New Zealand and the US.​

Read more: Here

Sounds like an expensive pre-season/season.

I dunno about this Fale guy. Hawaii seems like an overreach for Rapid Rugby (before the comp even exists) IMO, let alone New York.

Maybe this is putting the "Global" into Global Rapid Rugby. But I just don't want to see the mistakes of Super Rugby made "deja vu all over again" …

Either way, rugby in our part of the world seems to be fluid for the next few years

The NY games will likely only ever be exhibition and would likely require a level of cross promotion with the MLR franchise based in the city because I cannot see under their sanctioning agreement any room for a competitor operating in their market.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The NY games will likely only ever be exhibition and would likely require a level of cross promotion with the MLR franchise based in the city because I cannot see under their sanctioning agreement any room for a competitor operating in their market.
Maybe so - but it's a long (and costly) way to go for that purpose.

Another thought (via AndyS at TWF) is what if Samoa and Hawaii shared an umbrella organisation, with Samoa in GRR and Hawaii in an American comp.

But, if that report is correct, they're playing GRR in 2020.

See how they go, I s'pose.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Maybe so - but it's a long (and costly) way to go for that purpose.

Another thought (via AndyS at TWF) is what if Samoa and Hawaii shared an umbrella organisation, with Samoa in GRR and Hawaii in an American comp.

I guess that would be possible. Haven't seen any mention of anything coming out of Hawaii regarding MLR and he's quoted as saying they'll be operating tow franchises in GRR.

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looking forward to the Force vs Samoa rematch on shortly -3.30pm this arvo at Ballymore.
Force unleash Rocket for Ballymore blitz
June 13, 2019
Australian Sevens representative and former Queensland Reds speedster, ‘Rocket’ Rod Davies, will be back in familiar territory on Saturday when he lines up on the wing for the Western Force as they tackle Kagifa Samoa at Ballymore.

Davies is a hero in his home state having helped the Reds claim the 2011 Super Rugby Championship and will be a key cog in the Western Force starting XV for Global Rapid Rugby’s first match in the sunshine state.

Davies was born in Rockhampton and played six seasons for the Reds, including the drought breaking 2011 title. After a two try effort from the bench against the Samoan’s in Perth a fortnight ago, Davies has been brought into the run-on side and will line up on the wing.

The capped former Wallaby will be playing opposite Fijian heavyweight Masivesi Dakuwaqa who’s fierce attacking style and speed proved to be a weapon against the tough-tackling Kagifa Samoa side in the club’s first meeting.

Another familiar face returning to his home state for the match is hooker Andrew Ready. After making the switch to join the Western Force in the off-season, Ready has been an important part of the club’s 2019 Showcase Series that has seen them claim the Asia Showcase title, while they are neck and neck with Fijian Latui in the race for the Pacific Series.

Ready makes his return to the match-day 23 after recovering from a groin injury. Coach Tim Sampson has made a number of changes to his front row with Feleti Kaitu’u and Kieran Longbottom returning to the run-on side.

Fan favourite Brynard Stander has swapped back into the starting position with Nedlands Tevin Ferris moving to reserves.

With Henry Taefu unavailable for selection with a rib injury, Samoan international, Rodney Iona, will hope to make an impactful display after being handed the opportunity to start at inside centre after having limited minutes so far this season.

Starting from bench, 21-year-old lock Ben Grant will add fresh energy to the forward pack and is expected to have a forceful impact on the game. UWA Rugby’s Rory O’Sullivan has once again been called up to the reserve bench to support playmaker Issak Fines at scrumhalf.

In: Andrew Ready, Ben Grant

Out: Heath Tessmann, Leon Power

Full Team:
1. Harrison Lloyd, 2. Feleti Kaitu’u, 3. Kieran Longbottom, 4. Johan Bardoul, 5. Fergus Lee-Warner, 6. Henry Stowers, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Brynard Stander, 9. Issak Fines, 10. AJ Alatimu, 11. Rod Davies, 12. Rodney Iona, 13. Marcel Brache, 14. Masivesi Dakuwaqa, 15. Jack McGregor. RESERVES: 16. Andrew Ready, 17. Markus Vanzati, 18. Tom Sheminant, 19. Ben Grant, 20. Tevin Ferris, 21. Rory O’Sullivan, 22. Andrew Deegan, 23. Clay Uyen.

Watch the game LIVE on Sat 15:30 AEST / 13:30 AWST, on SBS Viceland, SBS On Demand, Kayo Sports and on FOX Sports Aus (503).

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
looks like Wayne Smith in the Australian has jumped on the GRR bandwagon with a couple of articles lately including wrap up of yesterdays game, interesting times ahead.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
It'd be pretty fucking funny in my books. Would be interesting to see the NZRU and SARU's reaction to the news.

Whats pretty funny is that it would probably be in the best interest for Australian rugby long term, and fuck what NZRU and SARU's reaction is.