• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
hmm - last year oz blocked it because not enough time to get up - that I could accept if true - but to block for next year sounds not good and pretty stupid as while Rome burns and Western Sydney struggles (read West Harbour and Parra 2 blues prop up bottom of shute shield ladder) they turn away private organisation prepared to invest in Western Sydney GRR team.

If that is true I am just gobsmacked

Yup- you're definitely gobsmacked. Couldn't make this shit up!

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I think an initial six of:

Force
Fiji
Samoa
Japanese side
Hong Kong
Singapore

would probably be the way to go.

Of course, if RA were at all supportive of GRR you think they'd at least endorse a Barbarians-style side to be based at a venue of their choice, giving non-Super-aligned players an opportunity to experience competitive rugby in an international competition. Of course that would have taken a little of that vision thing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yup- you're definitely gobsmacked. Couldn't make this shit up!
I have no inner knowledge on any of this but from an outsider I am incredibly frustrated with things I see from nswru on professional side of the game - and see them more as the problem children at this point than RA wrt global rapid rugby.

I look forward to seeing some comms on teams for next year as all very quiet and no clue what is going on...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think an initial six of:

Force
Fiji
Samoa
Japanese side
Hong Kong
Singapore

would probably be the way to go.

Of course, if RA were at all supportive of GRR you think they'd at least endorse a Barbarians-style side to be based at a venue of their choice, giving non-Super-aligned players an opportunity to experience competitive rugby in an international competition. Of course that would have taken a little of that vision thing.
Yeh agree if just going with 6 this would be better option.Grr needs japan involved imo to have better commercial platform to launch from.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Only 6 teams? This is very small for GRR. The two strongest Russian clubs, Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar from eastern Russia, have been ready to play in the GRR since 2020. They have their money, there is a good level, they do not ask for anything.

By the way, another Russian club VVA from Moscow signed Apisalome Waqatabu fulbek from Fijian Latui.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I think we're all as much in the dark as you are, to be honest. I would have hoped to hear something a little more concrete by now.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
I can tell you why Russians will be interested in Rapid Rugby. For us, Fijians, Samoans and other Okeanians are real exotic. I think the same for you. Russians from Siberia will be exotic. Especially considering how the Western press writes about us. I think many people will be interested in coming to the stadium in Australia or on the islands to see the terrible Russians. That is, such matches in Russia and Austrarlia will be very easy to advertise. Cause there are a bunch of stereotypes.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Japanese Top League won't much outlast the Sunwolves in Supe. New pro comp supposedly for 2021 is September to February.

Linky (in French) -- dodgy translation below:​

Katsuyuki Kiyomiya announces the creation of a new professional league!
Author Hinato
Published: 07/28/2019

With less than two months of the World Cup rugby was held today the most important and crucial event for the future of Japanese rugby, more than the World XV rugby competition! Katsuyuki Kiyomiya , appointed vice president of the JRFU last month and supports national reforms , announced the creation of a new professional Rugby League! It separated from the Top League and consists of 12 clubs, would start in September 2021.

The former manager of Waseda Univ. (2001-2006), Suntory Sungoliath (2006-2009) and Yamaha Jubilo (2011-2019) said that 12 teams would be based in the twelve host cities of the World Cup Rugby 2019 , namely: Sapporo (Hokkaido ) Kamaishi (Iwate), Kumagaya (Saitama), Tokyo (Tokyo), Yokohama (Kanagawa), Shizuoka (Shizuoka), Toyota (Aichi), Osaka / Higashi-Osaka (Osaka), Kobe (Hyogo), Fukuoka (Fukuoka) , Oita (Oita) and Kumamoto (Kumamoto).

The new league will be a closed league 12 clubs, with finally a real stadium for home games and would be held with a schedule to / between September and January / February is not overlapping with the Super Rugby . Six to eight clubs in Top League (corpo championship) were very favorable to this project. One can in particular thought Panasonic Wild Knights , who moved to Ota and will now move in Kumagaya Stadium .

The sunwolves could also integrate this league representative Tokyo . Kamaishi Seawaves , which evolves Top Challenge League (second division), looks set to represent meanwhile Kamaishi . The Top League cease to exist after the 2021 season and give way to higher national corporate clubs that would play mostly of Japanese players. More details to come on this capital project in November after the World Cup rugby .

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Great news for Russia. This means that the Japanese will not be in Rapid Rugby. And to participate in a full tournament, you need 8 teams! Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar are always ready! Who has the opportunity, then inform the organizers of the GRR that the Russian clubs are ready to take vacant seats in 2020.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Great news for Russia. This means that the Japanese will not be in Rapid Rugby. And to participate in a full tournament, you need 8 teams! Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar are always ready! Who has the opportunity, then inform the organizers of the GRR that the Russian clubs are ready to take vacant seats in 2020.
I would have thought a Russian side joining the new Japanese pro Comp would be better option as kiap mentioned twitter post that talked about overseas sides possibly.

I just wish we got some comms on what teams are in for grr and in fact any comms on its plans for next year as been very quiet.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
I would have thought a Russian side joining the new Japanese pro Comp would be better option as kiap mentioned twitter post that talked about overseas sides possibly.

I just wish we got some comms on what teams are in for grr and in fact any comms on its plans for next year as been very quiet.

In the championship of Japan? It is not real. This is not an international tournament like GRR. In addition, the dates from September to February are not convenient for Krasnoyarsk. From November to February in Krasnoyarsk is winter. And in Rapid only March is a problematic month for Russians. But this is solved with the help of the first games on the road.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In the championship of Japan? It is not real. This is not an international tournament like GRR. In addition, the dates from September to February are not convenient for Krasnoyarsk. From November to February in Krasnoyarsk is winter. And in Rapid only March is a problematic month for Russians. But this is solved with the help of the first games on the road.

Ah of course - in your winter. My mistake. Yes I see now why GRR would be good fit from your perspective team for Russian teams to join. In seasons to come if GRR expands all things going well, Russian teams could join a north asia conference with china, korea, japan teams etc as part of that GRR conference.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Ah of course - in your winter. My mistake. Yes I see now why GRR would be good fit from your perspective team for Russian teams to join. In seasons to come if GRR expands all things going well, Russian teams could join a north asia conference with china, korea, japan teams etc as part of that GRR conference.

They are ready to join now. Forest has six teams, he will not have enough two for a full season in 2020. This is not a virtual project like in Hawaii, these are long-existing strong enough clubs. And unlike others, they do not ask for funding from outside. These are self-sufficient clubs with their sponsors.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They are ready to join now. Forest has six teams, he will not have enough two for a full season in 2020. This is not a virtual project like in Hawaii, these are long-existing strong enough clubs. And unlike others, they do not ask for funding from outside. These are self-sufficient clubs with their sponsors.

Where are these teams based in Russia - what is the time zone difference compared to Perth.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Flights from Perth to Krasnoyarsk - best I could find is 25hours. Sorry but the logistics don't stack up. It could perhaps with a Northern Asia Conference.