• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Flights from Perth to Krasnoyarsk - best I could find is 25hours. Sorry but the logistics don't stack up. It could perhaps with a Northern Asia Conference.

I do not think that this is a big problem for guest teams. Once or twice a season fly to Krasnoyarsk. And Krasnoyarsk clubs are accustomed to fly a lot.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Isn't there a hotel being built onsite at Krasny Yar's new stadium?

It is at the Enisei-STM stadium that a hotel, a swimming pool, gyms and a second tribune should be built. This will be the 2nd stage of construction. Now there is a process of coordination of financing.
An indoor training complex should be built at the stadium of the Krasny Yar at the expense of their sponsor Polyus Gold.
As for infrastructure, Krasnoyarsk is a modern city. With a new airport and many hotels of different levels. In this regard, there will be no problems for the guest teams. And given the low ruble exchange rate, then foreigners in Russia are all very cheap.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Japanese Top League won't much outlast the Sunwolves in Supe. New pro comp supposedly for 2021 is September to February.

Linky (in French) -- dodgy translation below:​

Katsuyuki Kiyomiya announces the creation of a new professional league!
Author Hinato
Published: 07/28/2019

With less than two months of the World Cup rugby was held today the most important and crucial event for the future of Japanese rugby, more than the World XV rugby competition! Katsuyuki Kiyomiya , appointed vice president of the JRFU last month and supports national reforms , announced the creation of a new professional Rugby League! It separated from the Top League and consists of 12 clubs, would start in September 2021.

The former manager of Waseda Univ. (2001-2006), Suntory Sungoliath (2006-2009) and Yamaha Jubilo (2011-2019) said that 12 teams would be based in the twelve host cities of the World Cup Rugby 2019 , namely: Sapporo (Hokkaido ) Kamaishi (Iwate), Kumagaya (Saitama), Tokyo (Tokyo), Yokohama (Kanagawa), Shizuoka (Shizuoka), Toyota (Aichi), Osaka / Higashi-Osaka (Osaka), Kobe (Hyogo), Fukuoka (Fukuoka) , Oita (Oita) and Kumamoto (Kumamoto).

The new league will be a closed league 12 clubs, with finally a real stadium for home games and would be held with a schedule to / between September and January / February is not overlapping with the Super Rugby . Six to eight clubs in Top League (corpo championship) were very favorable to this project. One can in particular thought Panasonic Wild Knights , who moved to Ota and will now move in Kumagaya Stadium .

The sunwolves could also integrate this league representative Tokyo . Kamaishi Seawaves , which evolves Top Challenge League (second division), looks set to represent meanwhile Kamaishi . The Top League cease to exist after the 2021 season and give way to higher national corporate clubs that would play mostly of Japanese players. More details to come on this capital project in November after the World Cup rugby .

This is a pretty big threat for Super Rugby in that it will be a pretty big draw for SH talent.

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)
38AB1131-8DE4-4C1C-BAFB-C6873FFEB004.jpeg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well since we have had zero comms on teams for GRR for next year or any details for that matter about the competition for next year it is time for us to speculate (i.e. make shit up and make up rumours).

I have heard that GRR is currently in discussion with Japanese interests involved in developing the new 12 team pro rugby competition, which has made concerns about GRR plans for expanding rugby in Asia for GRR. They are currently as I have heard in discussions about entering some GRR teams and having Japanese teams involved in competition at currently later negotatiated start for GRR so as to not clash with Japan's new pro league planned.

Stay tuned...

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Well since we have had zero comms on teams for GRR for next year or any details for that matter about the competition for next year it is time for us to speculate (i.e. make shit up and make up rumours).

I have heard that GRR is currently in discussion with Japanese interests involved in developing the new 12 team pro rugby competition, which has made concerns about GRR plans for expanding rugby in Asia for GRR. They are currently as I have heard in discussions about entering some GRR teams and having Japanese teams involved in competition at currently later negotatiated start for GRR so as to not clash with Japan's new pro league planned.

Stay tuned.
Have you heard or are you just speculating, its not rocket science to think that after the world cup then everything changes, and part of the current silence maybe due to this.
In many ways GRR needs Japanese involvement, hard to promote an Asian based rugby comp without the top Asian country involved.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Stay tuned.

A 12 team competition other than the proposed Japanese league?

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)

Allrighty!

The Martians will provide the eighth side for GRR. As we all know, rugby has been thriving on the Red Planet since Arnie terraformed it back in the 80s, and what with the encouraging progress made by the SpaceX programme organisers are very confident that they can resolve the travel issue in a timely manner. It's also been rumoured that Frans Steyn has been signed as their initial marquee import, and given the much lighter gravity on Mars the coaching team is confident that he can knock penalties over from a good 300 yards.

Sadly, due to their telepathic abilities which will give them an unfair advantage when it comes to reading opposition plays, Cohaagen's initial colonists won't be eligible for selection, but what with the prevalence of three-breasted women on Mars tournament organisers are confident that Martian cheerleading efforts simply can't be beat.

See you at the party!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Allrighty!

The Martians will provide the eighth side for GRR. As we all know, rugby has been thriving on the Red Planet since Arnie terraformed it back in the 80s, and what with the encouraging progress made by the SpaceX programme organisers are very confident that they can resolve the travel issue in a timely manner. It's also been rumoured that Frans Steyn has been signed as their initial marquee import, and given the much lighter gravity on Mars the coaching team is confident that he can knock penalties over from a good 300 yards.

Sadly, due to their telepathic abilities which will give them an unfair advantage when it comes to reading opposition plays, Cohaagen's initial colonists won't be eligible for selection, but what with the prevalence of three-breasted women on Mars tournament organisers are confident that Martian cheerleading efforts simply can't be beat.

See you at the party!
you guys hopefully saw this bit of my post
"it is time for us to speculate (i.e. make shit up and make up rumours)."

I was just stirring the pot - with some random made up stuff as if we can't get any comms on what is happening we may as well just make it up! I just want to know when the Martians are going to invade earth to play GRR.....hopefully you are close to your source on this Aurelius as this is getting interesting now....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Have you heard or are you just speculating, its not rocket science to think that after the world cup then everything changes, and part of the current silence maybe due to this.
In many ways GRR needs Japanese involvement, hard to promote an Asian based rugby comp without the top Asian country involved.

On a serious note Hoggy I reckon the announcement of this new Japanese pro competition thrown a spanner in the works for GRR like you infer as agree hard to promote Asia based rugby comp without Japan involved. I suspect GRR are negotiating to see if they can have teams involved in new Japanese rugby comp as well as some of the Japanese teams involved in GRR - especially as new Japanese comp mooted to run from Sept to end of Feb. I do hope some alignment can be arranged as really want to see an Asian comp get up.....whether that be GRR or something else with Japanese involvement.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
team named

1.Cameron Orr, 2. Feleti Kaitu’u, 3. Tom Sheminant, 4. Jeremy Thrush, 5. Fergus Lee-Warner, 6. Tevin Ferris, 7.Carlo Tizzano, 8. Brynard Stander, 9. Issak Fines, 10. Andrew Deegan, 11. Rod Davies, 12. Rodney Iona, 13. Nick Jooste, 14. Jonah Placid, 15. Jack McGregor. RESERVES: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Harrison Lloyd, 18. Chris Heiberg, 19. Ben Grant, 20. Jackson Pugh, 21. Ian Prior, 22. Chris Miller, 23. Leon Feke, 24. Haluafa Lavaka, 25. Ollie Callan, 26. Dom Hardman.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Pretty good team overall..
Jonah Placid is an interesting one, i wonder what the circumstances of him returning home were.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Happening today:

ANDREW FORREST TO MAKE IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ON FUTURE OF GLOBAL RAPID RUGBY & WESTERN FORCE

Andrew Forrest will make an important announcement in an address at the Spirit of Rugby Long Lunch and will be available to media for a brief doorstop.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Valke embrace new horizons

August 8, 2019

It isn’t every day that a new international rugby competition backed by one of Australasia’s leading businessmen is launched, so when Global Rapid Rugby was announced in November 2018 the reverberations were felt far and wide.

One of the places the news created buzz was in the offices of Valke Rugby Union based in South Africa’s Highveld. With the same innovate approach that saw Rapid Rugby come to life, Valke officials sought original ideas to join Andrew Forrest’s new Asia-Pacific based league.

“Rapid Rugby presented a great opportunity to get exposure in an international competition and that was very exciting,” said Valke Director of rugby, Rudy Joubert.
“We felt we had something to offer emerging rugby nations and our approach to Malaysia to form a mutually beneficial partnership was warmly received. We have enjoyed a very positive relationship and have ambitious goals around the development of a team that can compete strongly in Rapid Rugby as well as continue to develop the game in Malaysia to the point they qualify for the Rugby World Cup.

“On one hand we’ll be helping grow rugby in Asia, which is important for the game globally, and on the other hand we’ll give more exposure to our club and creating an attractive destination for players,” Joubert said.
In what is a significant show of commitment to Rapid Rugby, Valke has brought their first-grade team to Perth despite knowing they’ll likely see their unbeaten run in Currie Cup’s first division end with a top of the table clash back in South Africa scheduled this weekend.

“Everyone at the club was committed to bringing out the most experienced and competitive team we had available to play against the Western Force and that is what we have done,” Joubert said.
“We have pulled together players to take part in our Currie Cup fixture but it will be a tough challenge.
“We have seen the good standard that Rapid Rugby has already achieved and that will only continue to improve. It’s exciting for us. We love running rugby and moving the ball, and the laws encourage that. It is something that fits our style of play and our team culture,” Joubert added.

The team arrived in Perth on Wednesday afternoon after making the 8,300 kilometre trip from South Africa and immediately linked up with two Malaysian players who’ll be part of the match day squad. In addition, the Malaysian national team manager will also be part of the build-up and game day activities.

“Going forward we will integrate more Malaysian players but this was our best option for a single game as part of the 2019 Showcase,” Joubert said.
“We have been to Malaysia a few times and are working well together. We understand where we are going and have identified benefits for both sides. This is just the start.”

https://www.rapidrugby.com/valke-embrace-new-horizons/