• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
I’ll duplicate my answer from another forum, where I answered a fan of Force about the participation of Russians in GRR. More structured.
1. Russians do not need Forest money. The main goal of the Enisei and the Krasny Yar to find good rivals. This season will be the last for the Enisei in the European Challenge Cup. And the championship of Russia is rather weak.
2. The climate. Yes, in March it’s risky to play in Krasnoyarsk. But there are two new stadiums with a warm field. Avangard and Central. Therefore, you can start playing matches in Krasnoyarsk in late March or early April without risk. for this it is enough in the first 2-3 rounds to send the Enisei and Krasny Yar on a tour to the south.
3. The distance. This situation has changed just recently. Krasnoyarsk airport has become an Asian hub for Aeroflot. Its task is to become a transfer point between Europe and Asia. From January 2020, the first direct flights from the Krasnoyarsk to cities of China and Southeast Asia will be launched. To Hong Kong will be 100%. This means that Krasnoyarsk will be in Tokyo’s accessibility for the rest of the exploration teams.
4. Money. Given the fall of the ruble twice. For foreign teams, living in Russia will be much cheaper than in Japan, Australia and other Asian countries.
5. The interests of the parties. The Moscow leadership of RUR wants to make clubs from Moscow the strongest in Russia. But Krasnoyarsk is stopping them. Therefore, they come up with various unsportsmanlike ways to weaken the Siberian competitors. They want to transfer the league structure in Russia to the winter version as in Europe. This is unacceptable for Krasnoyarsk.
Forest has an interest in finding two teams of a good level, which he lacks for a full-fledged tournament of 8 teams in 2020. Enisei and Krasny Yar are not paper tigers, but real clubs with history and traditions that exist. They are absolutely self-sufficient.
The interests of Forest and Krasnoyarsk clubs coincide.
6. Business. Russia maximally opens Siberia and the Far East to the Asia-Pacific region. Just a week ago, at an economic forum in Vladivostok, Putin, Abe, and the Malaysian prime minister spoke about rugby.
Rugby could potentially become a link between Russia and the countries of the Asia-Pacific region. For example, Krasnoyarsk has had good relations with Japan Rugby for several years. Enisei participates in the Sanix World Rugby Junior Tournament. Last year, Japanese juniors came to Krasnoyarsk. And in September, the SFU team (Siberian Federal University) will play in Japan at the World Cup among students.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
You do not think that Russian incomprehensible people live on the North Pole. The captain of the Russian national team and the captain of the Krasny Yar Vasily Artemyev.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
At the World Cup 2019, composed of 31 players from the Russian national team, 15 players from two Krasnoyarsk clubs (10 from Krasny Yar and 5 from Enisei-STM). In the opening game, 8 from Krasny Yar and 3 from Enisei-STM played.
Krasny Yar wing Kirill Golosnitsky made a first try at RWC2019.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
At the World Cup 2019, composed of 31 players from the Russian national team, 15 players from two Krasnoyarsk clubs (10 from Krasny Yar and 5 from Enisei-STM). In the opening game, 8 from Krasny Yar and 3 from Enisei-STM played.
Krasny Yar wing Kirill Golosnitsky made a first try at RWC2019.

So are you speaking to twiggys team

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I have not heard of direct contacts yet. But the director of Enisei-STM Alexander Pervukhin is now in Japan. I admit that he might meet with representatives of GRR there.

I have no doubt they would be interested in a conversation. Maybe if could find a Russian billionaire with passing interest in rugby to have as is hobby - another Roman Aboromavich poorer cousin would do.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Another step in building relations between Russia and Southeast Asia. Singapore has entered into a free trade area agreement with the Eurasian Economic Union (Russia + neighbors). Singapore Prime Minister meets with Putin in Armenia. I tell you that Russia is starting to discover Asia and Oceania. We previously cooperated only with Europe, but we have 70% of the territory located in Asia. Therefore, sports cooperation is very promising. Sponsors will be of great interest.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Another step in building relations between Russia and Southeast Asia. Singapore has entered into a free trade area agreement with the Eurasian Economic Union (Russia + neighbors). Singapore Prime Minister meets with Putin in Armenia. I tell you that Russia is starting to discover Asia and Oceania. We previously cooperated only with Europe, but we have 70% of the territory located in Asia. Therefore, sports cooperation is very promising. Sponsors will be of great interest.

Well if what I've been told by a Singapore based bloke forming a partnership with Singapore really won't have that much of an impact.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Membership offerings for 5 home games does not confirm 6 teams - in any way whatsoever.

If selling seats before finalising the draw for release it is encumbent on the organisation not to advertise more games than they deliver. They could play more but they don't want to be delivering fewer.

And regardless, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

So, there could be more than 6 teams. Could be fewer than 6 teams.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A very exciting appointment.

EsSOdI6aHQywLLM2csvUfoqGSUxtY38pzUx7FqG6QOCPDz0YDsbrFzMi-oPODuDrzZt_gdpN1Oz7hlpIA6nZlrDSC_znTDfzyhvYZF-esTCl0zvBJKEeFZsfW5hUkU_U0-8wjg=s0-d-e1-ft

10 October 2019
GLOBAL RAPID RUGBY APPOINTS CEO

Experienced international sports administrator Mark Evans will lead the expansion of Global Rapid Rugby into an Asia Pacific home-and-away competition in 2020, complete with a $AU1 million prize pool.
A rugby authority, Mr Evans was Chief Executive of Harlequins FC for 11 years and Director of Rugby at Saracens FC. He has also spent time in Australia previously as Chief Executive of NRL club Melbourne Storm.
Recently he has been working with a number of high-profile sports organisations in the UK, including European Rugby, Rugby League World Cup 2021 and Netball Super League.
In joining Global Rapid Rugby as Chief Executive Officer, Mr Evans said: “I watched this year’s Showcase Series from afar and witnessed the appetite that exists for this shorter, fast-moving and entertaining 15-a-side brand. Next year, as a full home-and-away competition is launched, I am confident Rapid Rugby will continue to go from strength to strength.
“It’s an exciting role to take the great sport of rugby deeper into Asia, to help develop the unique talents of the Pacific and to play an important part in making Australian rugby stronger.”
Global Rapid Rugby Founder Andrew Forrest AO described the appointment as “another positive step forward for Global Rapid Rugby to build on two successful showcase years".
“Mark will lead the organisation into the next stage of growth as we enter the competition era,” Mr Forrest said. “He has strong credentials for the role and beat a field of international and local candidates to take on this great opportunity."
Mr Evans has relocated to Global Rapid Rugby’s Perth headquarters, where his first task is to review the format of the 2020 Rapid Rugby season. The competition will be staged throughout the first half of next year and feature the Western Force alongside teams from the Asia and Pacific regions.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
It's a good news. He should know about the Enisei-STM and the Krasny Yar, because they played for 5 seasons in the European Challenge Cup. It is possible he even has contacts in Russia. A few years ago, the Moscow VVA club entered into an agreement with the Saracens for 3 years. They were even called VVA-Saracens. Thanks to these contacts, the VVA, as well as the Kuban and Enisei-STM, participated in the World Club 7s tournament on Twickenham.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_World_Club_7s

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
A very exciting appointment.

Well done RR - a full article worth posting.

Possibly the best CEO appointment on Oz rugby for a looooong time.
A clear indication that growth beyond the initial 6 team comp in 2020 is on the cards.
Fantastic for building on the success of the RWC in the Asia/Pacific region.

Expecting more exciting surprises with the 6 team announcement........