• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
In Russia, the discussion on the participation of Enisei-STM and Krasny Yar in Rapid Rugby flames up. Some fans do not believe in this. But the EPCR has officially announced that there will no longer be qualifications for the Challenge Cup. So the path for Krasnoyarsk clubs in Europe is closed. Remains the Asia-Pacific direction. They incidentally have more advantages than the Challenge Cup in terms of distance, climate, time zone and more matches.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Kpc using a Mercator map is a little bit misleading. The distances across the Globe nearer the Poles is exaggerated, and I also note you have not shown any travel to Perth.

But, be that as it may, I like your passion and hope for your sake as well as for rugby generally in the Krasnoyarsk region that something does come from your efforts.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Announcement re 2020 season with fixture.

Team Asia details still to come.

(Must be some interesting talks happening....would be good to be a fly on the wall.)

2020-Global-Rapid-Rugby-Schedule-EDM-INSERT-R3-768x1028.jpg

Reactions: Kpc

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
The press release said the following but I have no idea of the history.

"Samoa also played this year, however, the 2020 team carries a different name and the backing of the Samoa Rugby Union."

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Kpc using a Mercator map is a little bit misleading. The distances across the Globe nearer the Poles is exaggerated, and I also note you have not shown any travel to Perth.

But, be that as it may, I like your passion and hope for your sake as well as for rugby generally in the Krasnoyarsk region that something does come from your efforts.

I took a regular Google map. I indicated only the directions of the regular season. For Rapid, a possible Northern Conference. Perth will then be in the South. The transfer of the Enisei and the Krasny Yar with Western Force is possible only in the playoffs. Also, I did not show the distance in the Challenge Cup to France, Italy and the British Islands. These are bonus games. The total distance in Rapid for Krasnoyarsk residents will even decrease. Hong Kong, Shanghai are even closer than many Russian cities.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Team Asia is a Singapour? And where Bay of Plenty?

The original tweet mentioned partnering with China. Which suggests that they'll be feeding the soon to be announced Asian based team. Regarding Singapore. Apparently the relationship between the Union and the management of the AP Dragons soured to the point they pulled the plug. Hopefully they pop up again soon and renter the league.

Reactions: Kpc

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Excitement high as 2020 season is revealed
November 14, 2019
Head coach Tim Sampson and captain Ian Prior told us about the excitement and “buzz” around the 2020 Global Rapid Rugby Schedule announcement.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
I analyzed the calendar. I conclude that participation in the Rapid for Krasnoyarsk clubs will be much cheaper than in the European Challenge Cup. There are double guest matches. Also, guests will be able to fly to Krasnoyarsk for two games in a row. If there is a Northern Conference, then flying to Oceania and Australia will need to be a maximum of 1-2 times a season in the playoffs. Very good logistics and a professional calendar taking into account the interests of all teams.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
A potential variant of the Northern Conference of the GRR in the 2021 season. In English.
21346cbf54f941b84aad410a5470cff4742160af645fb006b756f72bd6d8107d.jpg

I agree, they look like a natural fit for a future northern conference, but based on your map the southern conference is looking a little light!

I'd suggest maybe 2024 or 2025 is a little more realistic. Let GRR get bedded in for a couple of years, attract enough teams to fill a southern conference then go the two-conference route. There's no doubt that, say, a Western Force/Krasny Yar championship match would be a terrific spectacle.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree, they look like a natural fit for a future northern conference, but based on your map the southern conference is looking a little light!

I'd suggest maybe 2024 or 2025 is a little more realistic. Let GRR get bedded in for a couple of years, attract enough teams to fill a southern conference then go the two-conference route. There's no doubt that, say, a Western Force/Krasny Yar championship match would be a terrific spectacle.

In principle, this is an approximate option. But if there is a Japanese team or\and Korean team, it is logical to add them to the North. And Malaysia and Singapore add to the South. I hope this takes a maximum of 1-2 years.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is Manuma an evolution of the Kagifa team from early this year or a entirely different venture altogether?

Interested to see if team Asia is the China - nz tie up. As commercially for my mind needs a Japanese team (sunwolves 2021?), a nz team and another oz team (ideally western Sydney - not sure whatever happened to western Sydney bid as I thought it was only meant to be not ready this year).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interested to see if team Asia is the China - nz tie up. As commercially for my mind needs a Japanese team (sunwolves 2021?), a nz team and another oz team (ideally western Sydney - not sure whatever happened to western Sydney bid as I thought it was only meant to be not ready this year).

A bloke over on PlanetRugby who mentioned Taiwan was saying that it is linked to a Super Rugby franchise. A NZ Super Rugby franchise.