• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
An interesting article in French from Japan on the subject of Global Rapid Rugby. Translation of a small part.

Finally, a country could finish with Europe and turn to Asia: Russia. The country certainly has a professional championship but its two best rugby clubs, the Enisey-STM and the Krasny Yar, are based in the city of Krasnoyarsk in the middle of Siberia.

The two teams could thus turn to the Asian continent and participate in a Global Rapid Rugby expanded to eight or ten teams. Enough to allow Russian players to raise their level by facing notably the Western Force, the Fijian Latui, the Manuma Samoa and the South China Tigers. And also to integrate the "Bears" in the Asia Rugby Championship in the long term. Nothing could be more normal for a country where 75% of the area is located in Asia. What to see the future of East Asian rugby positively!

https://www.asierugby.com/post/l-émergence-du-rugby-en-asie

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Forrest's rugby comp wants to keep China

AAP - 3 February 2020

Global Rapid Rugby organisers are hoping the newly-announced China-based team can be retained for the inaugural season despite the outbreak of the coronavirus.

Mark Evans, chief executive of GRR, is hopeful that the China Lions and the Hong Kong-based South China Tigers can be kept in the competition.

Their home games are set to be switched to later in the tournament, with organisers hopeful the coronavirus will be better contained by then to allow travel to and from China.

If the situation worsens, GRR might have to base the Lions outside of China for the first season.

More here: https://wwos.nine.com.au/rugby/forr...ep-china/201ef01f-0b31-40f1-aa6e-bcd35d77ea9b

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees GRR having some challenges - lucky got Forrest with some deep pockets.

Interesting that wallabies test against Argentina scheduled - the talk of grr team based out of Newcastle possibly a real possibility - wonder how much discussion between RA and GRR on this...

I don’t buy into current RA position of not being supportive of GRR...

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, it ain't been easy getting this comp up.

But regarding support, what has actually happened outside of WA to date?
  • The bloke behind the now-dead Western Sydney bid for Rapid Rugby was told to sling his hook … just quietly, a few punters on this board said there were no investors out there willing to sink money into rugby here. It was all a mirage …
  • In reality, the powers that be in Oz rugby said he wasn't needed, so please f**k off.
  • He duly did, and his consortium bought 2 teams in the US instead.
Maybe that kind of welcoming "support" will change after the current Sanzaar broadcast imbroglio eases. Who knows, but it needs to.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, it ain't been easy getting this comp up.

But regarding support, what has actually happened outside of WA to date?

• The bloke behind the now-dead Western Sydney bid for Rapid Rugby was told to sling his hook … just quietly, a few punters on this board said there were no investors out there willing to sink money into rugby here. It was all a mirage …
  • In reality, the powers that be in Oz rugby said he wasn't needed, so please f**k off.
  • He duly did, and his consortium bought 2 teams in the US instead.
Maybe that kind of welcoming "support" will change after the current Sanzaar broadcast imbroglio eases. Who knows, but it needs to.

I did not realise he was the one buying MLR teams - crap that is not good...yet again stupidity and own goal - Not happy Jan....

I don't have any insight into inner sanctum of RA but to not support GRR to grow the game both in oz and broader Asia Pacific / Asia would be criminal....

I just can't still at this point possibly believe RA could be anti GRR...so got to hold onto that rational thought as otherwise it means RA are the antichrist of the sport I love..

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I did not realise he was the one buying MLR teams - crap that is not good.yet again stupidity and own goal - Not happy Jan..

I don't have any insight into inner sanctum of RA but to not support GRR to grow the game both in oz and broader Asia Pacific / Asia would be criminal..

I just can't still at this point possibly believe RA could be anti GRR.so got to hold onto that rational thought as otherwise it means RA are the antichrist of the sport I love..

Not one. Two. He's one of the primary backers of the Loyals Rugby LLC group that first acquired the rights to the LA licence and just last week the Austin Licence. They are now known as the Austin Gilgronis. Which apparently will be a 'Texas sized cocktail' to be released during their first game. Based of the Negroni. Or so I believe.

It's a terrible name but so far their plans and literally everything they've done has been fantastic. Which is a real shame from a Western Sydney perspective as what they've got planned for Austin and LA would have been amazing here.

Free buses for clubs to get to the games, a real stadium. A nice one at that. Fee free registration for youth players. A brand new kit. https://www.instagram.com/p/B8PvlfEHq3k/.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is criminal that that they turned away this opportunity for investment in Western Sydney WCR - not every day of the week someone with large pockets prepared to invest in Australian Rugby.

If Hore was behind this then good riddance for him....anyone else involved in vetoing this investment in Western Sydney team in GRR should also be shown the door.

This feels a big lost opportunity to address the Western Sydney issue which is huge potential fan and player base (lots of PI kids in western Sydney who turn to league because of lack of credible options /profile of rugby in the west).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was thinking about RA's current broadcast deal negotiations and fact GRR has not announced their broadcast arrangements this season.

My thoughts are they are probably linked as think about it if Optus was going to pitch for rugby with FTA broadcaster it would make sense for them to also tie up GRR to make Optus and relevant FTA broadcaster the rugby destination for consumers. Win win for both GRR and RA as would increase the value for each by making it their broadcast partners the destination for oz rugby fans.

This sort of tie up to my mind makes lot of sense - as I imagine it would to GRR and RA executive

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugby Union: Force clash first step as Newcastle aim for a return to the big time

James Gardiner - 10 Feb 2020 - The Maitland Mercury

NEWCASTLE coach Scott Coleman hopes the clash against the Western Force at No.2 Sportsground next month is the first step towards a return to the Sydney Shute Shield competition or a Global Rapid Rugby franchise being based in the Hunter.

The clash against the Force on February 29, which has been sanctioned by NSW Rugby and will use GRR rules, will launch the program.
A number of Sydney players will be drafted in for that match to ensure Newcastle are competitive.

"For the Sydney players it is a chance to showcase their game in front of a professional organisation that are handing out contracts.
"For our young guys it is a chance to mix with and play against high quality footballers."

More here.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force are also taking on Eastwood

Good to see the outreach and support from Hodgo's old Sydney club connection.

A good double header.

86174751_1612033728973573_2274778172186689536_o.jpg

Western Force captain Ian Prior expressed his excitement to support the RugbyWA Women and the future of women in rugby.
“It’s fantastic, between RugbyWA and the Force, we are one club and it’s great to represent the WA rugby program and pathway as a whole organisation and we are honoured we can add to the women’s event,” Prior said.
“It’s going to be great to get our first competitive match out of the way and then enjoy some top-class rugby when we watch the RugbyWA side play afterwards.
“The team (RugbyWA Women) have some young exciting talent, WA always seems to produce good players male and female, so I think we’ve unearthed some stars there.”

Read more.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Plenty of ammunition named in Fijian Latui squad

A talented blend of youth and experience has been named in the 33 man Fijian Latui squad to contest the inaugural Global Rapid Rugby competition commencing on March 14 in Suva.

Forwards:
Joeli Veitayaki – Naitasiri
Timoci Sauvoli – Nadroga
Livai Natave – Suva
Penijamini Makutu – Suva
Mateo Qolisese – Suva
Jone Koroi – Nadroga
Ratunaisa Navuma – Nadroga
Tevita Ikanivere – Suva
Manoa Mocelutu – Namosi
Epeli Radaniva – Lautoka
Chris Minimbi – Naitasiri
Soro Tuifagalele – Suva
Sailasa Kerekere – Nadroga
Eremasi Radrodro – Nadroga
Filimoni Seru – Suva
Elia Canakaivata – Suva
Raikabula Momodonu – Nadi

Backs:
Simione Kuruvoli – Suva
Aminiasi Natoga – Namosi
Leone Nawai – Suva
Caleb Muntz – Fijian Drua
Serupepeli Vularika – Namosi
Cyril Reece – Namosi
Apisalome Vota – Suva
John Stewart – Suva
Jiuta Wainiqolo – Suva
Nacanieli Narekuva – Nadroga
Epeli Momo – Namosi
Meli Nakarawa – Namosi
Jone Manu – Suva
Osea Waqa – Nadi

Training Partners:
Immanuel Naciva – Naitasiri
Apisai Vatubuli – Fijian Drua
Joseva Nasaroa – Suva
Necani Nawaqadau – Naitasiri
Eparama Luvata – Namosi
Kini Douglas – Naitasiri
Lepani Raiyala – Namosi
Lolohea Loco – Melbourne Rising
Josateki Deigei – Namosi
Joseva Kurucuva – Nadroga

DTE Squad
Enele Malele – Suva
Sakiusa Nakalevu – Nadroga
Tuidraki Samusamuvodre – Naitasiri
Levani – Kurumudu – Suva

Read more.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good to see the outreach and support from Hodgo's old Sydney club connection.

He played in a Premiership winning side, and was interviewed after the match (on the ABC). First time I ever heard the magic word on live television. Wonderful stuff. He came to us from the Central Coast.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
He played in a Premiership winning side, and was interviewed after the match (on the ABC). First time I ever heard the magic word on live television. Wonderful stuff. He came to us from the Central Coast.

SFS big crowd that day. Then pissed off to Manly. Boo

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Will be interesting to see how the Coronavirus impacts GRR - especially with season kickoff in a month (13 March).

Would imagine that China Lions will be playing all of their home games outside of mainland China/Shanghai this year.

SC Tigers (Hong Kong) may get interesting if outbreaks develop.

Other countries, such as Samoa, may have health/travel restrictions which could limit where they can play/travel.

I reckon we may see some double headers in Perth (and possibly elesewhere) - which would be good for the Sea of Blue..

There's a lot to like about the GRR concept:
- Games in Asia, the Pacific and Australasia
– Fast-paced, 70-minute matches
– Revolutionary laws rewarding a high-scoring style
– More ball-in-play time
– Stadium entertainment at every venue
– A dynamic and engaging broadcast experience.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
I think considering the circumstances maybe best to postpone GRR for the year, they can still play exhibition games, but i think people will understand, and i just wonder if Forrest may be keen to talk to the RA now things appeared to have moved on.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From the logistics view, I think they could still continue with the season.

The most difficult hurdle, as I said two weeks ago, would be the Hong Kong side. Least preferred option for them is they might need to withdraw from the tournament … but maybe they could still adjust/move their schedule and not create a set of byes.

The other two Asian teams have squads largely not from Asia. Could play out of NZ or Perth (including double headers as per FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s post earlier) if needed.

But I guess we'll find out soon. :)

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The whole scenario is such a moving part right now, even if they sign a new TV deal someone is going to have to take a haircut, I mean why even bother with 4 more years of Super rugby if it is ultimately a doomed product.

Part of the issue i see with rugby in this country is it doesn't really know what it wants, I can't believe a sport so broke with so many vested interests, but I have always felt it is the reliance on the Wallabies that has prevented any meaningful level below that to thrive or even survive.

The one advantage of a club based competition is it allows for private investment, and that is the only way the game can prosper moving forward, but outside money won't except a list of terms & conditions.

Right now the RA are calling every ones bluff the real test comes when they sign something and have to produce the goods.