• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Go the Chiefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

I think they deserve to win the comp and are great to watch. Go the Chiefs.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah I'm on that wagon - always liked the Chiefs because they had so much in common with the Tahs i.e. never made the semis :)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If I have to like anything about NZ rugby. it's the Chiefs. A true blue collar team - very few big names and they go about their work industrously.

If I have to have a favourite NZ player, it's Muliaina by a long margin.

Go Chiefs!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Yep, make room on the bandwagon for me..go the Chiefs!

And with you as well Biffo, Muliaina is excellent.

C

chriscullen

As a rabid crusaders fan ill be cheering them on, but the chiefs are my 2nd hope. Found it interesting that the Tahs have received so much flak this season, I wonder if they had made the 4(and really they were unlucky to miss) would everyone have forgiven them. I think Deans was right in thinking they could have won the title had they made the semis.

R

Red Beard

Stoked just to make it this far, anything else is a bonus for us from here on in. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. Was at the game on Friday night, the majority of the crowd stayed behind long after the final whistle just to applaud the boys for making the semis. Have to hand it to the Brumbies, they didnt lie down one bit.

[size=10pt]Newsflash: Brendon Leonard (hamstring) and Ben May (knee) both gone for the season!!![/size]

While both are big losses, the strength of the Chiefs has been their squad depth and sheer guts this season. Roll on Friday night.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
chriscullen said:
As a rabid crusaders fan ill be cheering them on, but the chiefs are my 2nd hope. Found it interesting that the Tahs have received so much flak this season, I wonder if they had made the 4(and really they were unlucky to miss) would everyone have forgiven them. I think Deans was right in thinking they could have won the title had they made the semis.
Interesting too that the Crusaders are generally praised for their gritty effort while the Tahs are derided as boring (and to an extent rightly so). Their stats do not differ much at all from the Tahs - points for, against and difference all very close. Neither team conceded a 4 try bonus point.
I think both teams play a game that suits finals footy, and I for one would not write off the Saders at all. The Tahs were the big hope to knock off the Bulls simply because they were already there and didn't face the travel issue. That will count against the Saders.
Sentiment for me says "Go the Chiefs".

M

Mainlander

Chiefs... Comon guy's you're godda be kidding, support the Chiefs. :angryfire:

Go the Sadders.... after all it's only fitting. It is our trophy.

If I must I'll go the Cannes (Wife and kids team) but we all know they like the Tahs don't have the bottle to beat the Sadders, They'd rather travel to SA and face the Bulls.

The only reason you Tah supports are coming out in favour of the Chiefs is a bad memory of a certain game.... Now what was the score again.... that's right.... 96-19

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Mainlander said:
Chiefs... Comon guy's you're godda be kidding, support the Chiefs. :angryfire:

Go the Sadders.... after all it's only fitting. It is our trophy.

If I must I'll go the Cannes (Wife and kids team) but we all know they like the Tahs don't have the bottle to beat the Sadders, They'd rather travel to SA and face the Bulls.

The only reason you Tah supports are coming out in favour of the Chiefs is a bad memory of a certain game.... Now what was the score again.... that's right.... 96-19
Nah, it aint that. I respect the Saders, but it would be better to have someone else win it. Canes would be OK, and I guess with 5 finals appearances in 7 years maybe it is their time. Chiefs seem like underdogs to me, and we like an underdog. Nothing personal.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
chriscullen said:
I think Deans was right in thinking they could have won the title had they made the semis.

They'd been concentrating on defence all year which is the right way to prepare for the finals - but they failed to execute it twice (Offsaders and Force) when it really counted.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
And don't forget the Tahs let in one try too many against the Lions. Their famed defence was a bit sloppy in the second half.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
cyclopath said:
chriscullen said:
Interesting too that the Crusaders are generally praised for their gritty effort while the Tahs are derided as boring (and to an extent rightly so). Their stats do not differ much at all from the Tahs - points for, against and difference all very close. Neither team conceded a 4 try bonus point.I think both teams play a game that suits finals footy, and I for one would not write off the Saders at all. The Tahs were the big hope to knock off the Bulls simply because they were already there and didn't face the travel issue. That will count against the Saders.
Sentiment for me says "Go the Chiefs".

The Crusaders seem to throw the ball around more than the 'tahs and their kicking game isn't "kick and hope" like the 'tahs tended to do.

Think whoever wins the Bulls v 'Saders game will win the comp. Out of the two I would hope the Bulls win it to silence any critics of their '07 win ("they only won it cause Grahame Henry rested his All Blacks"). Though my favourite NZ team is the CHiefs so would love to see them get up.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
If the Crusaders won, I reckon flying back to NZ to face the Chiefs would be a bit too much to ask. If the Canes beat the Chiefs, then its game on.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Bulls - Chiefs final is my tip, and the Chiefs will be up against it having to fly to Pretoria after their semi.

C

chriscullen

Agree with cyclopath that the tahs are derided for their play and Crusaders fans are in raptures over our teams play this season, yet both teams have played a similar boring style. It is very interesting going in as such underdogs but for this weekend at least the whole of NZ will be cheering on the crusaders as a victory to them will mean either chiefs or canes get a home final.

M

Mainlander

chriscullen said:
Agree with cyclopath that the tahs are derided for their play and Crusaders fans are in raptures over our teams play this season, yet both teams have played a similar boring style. It is very interesting going in as such underdogs but for this weekend at least the whole of NZ will be cheering on the crusaders as a victory to them will mean either chiefs or canes get a home final.

Cannes know thet can't beat the Sadders... (Same problem the Tahs have.) They'd rather go to SA, They would much rather face the Bulls even at their home over the Sadders.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Interesting, the semis in cattle territory, at this stage I hope the final will be a Bulls (biltong) vs Cow (milk) one! Nothing against the others but this two end at the top and I'd love to see them fight it out in a final.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
PaarlBok said:
Interesting, the semis in cattle territory, at this stage I hope the final will be a Bulls (biltong) vs Cow (milk) one! Nothing against the others but this two end at the top and I'd love to see them fight it out in a final.

I prefer the cow, which can give me milk for along time and then biltong when she fades. The bull's range of products is limited to one - rather like those blokes in blue, eh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.