• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gold Coast 7's - 12 & 13 Oct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Hi All,

Gold Coast Sevens is on the 12th & 13th Oct this year.

Early Bird ticket went on sale this morning but you need a password to get them.

Does anyone know where you get the pw or have the pw?

Cheers

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Having been on the Gold Coast this week I saw on the telly that there is a real concern that if a decent crowd doesn't show up this year the event could go elsewhere.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Hi All,

Gold Coast Sevens is on the 12th & 13th Oct this year.

Early Bird ticket went on sale this morning but you need a password to get them.

Does anyone know where you get the pw or have the pw?

Cheers

You could buy a ticket at the gate and still sit where ever you want.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Having been on the Gold Coast this week I saw on the telly that there is a real concern that if a decent crowd doesn't show up this year the event could go elsewhere.

Then, indeed, the ARU must commence this event's proper promotion using the right methods and contemporary techniques.

Last year its promotion in the Brisbane area was pathetic. To get interest built in international 7s, video and TV-based advertising (and a tightly coupled communications strategy) - with dynamite content and atmosphere - is essential.

Just having a look at the ARU's website tells the story, and how it will remain - it's like something advertising a big community fete back in 1996. Compare it to the BIL site this year - the difference in content, contemporary visualization , graphics, easy of use, etc was night and day.

So the issue of the ARU creatively and successfully promoting its product is a subject it may take up in its next big 'governance review', due in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
A couple of weeks after the AFL season has finished, you know it might just work :)

Only potential hiccup with this is that it would have to be held at AAMI Park and i'm fairly sure the A league season would have kicked off by that point, but surely it wouldn't be much of a problem.

T

TOCC

I tend to agree that the Gold Coast is the right place to have it, but It hasn't been supported properly in marketing and exposure... No one in Brissie or on the coast even knows that it's on.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I tend to agree that the Gold Coast is the right place to have it, but It hasn't been supported properly in marketing and exposure. No one in Brissie or on the coast even knows that it's on.
True and the IRB and the ARU have to take some responsibility for that but so do the GC Council and Queensland tourism. They bid for the event, they have to support it.
In the past the Vic State government has been one of the best at supporting events. Recently NSW has also lifted their game.

I think a lot of the issues stem from the fact 7s in Australia just doesn't seem to get airplay. FoxSports doesn't show much of the 7s circuit. The Brumbies won the Club 7s championship but that barely made the sports news. 7s is suppose to be the beach head for the growth of the game. It's in desperate need of some love from all parties (Media, government and ARU).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The local tourism authorities need to get off their collective butts. Marketing this sort of event is as much about tourism opportunities as it is about rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think a lot of the issues stem from the fact 7s in Australia just doesn't seem to get airplay. FoxSports doesn't show much of the 7s circuit. The Brumbies won the Club 7s championship but that barely made the sports news. 7s is suppose to be the beach head for the growth of the game. It's in desperate need of some love from all parties (Media, government and ARU).

To be fair to Fox Sports, they did show all the final days of this year's circuit, AFAIK. They also showed the World Club Sevens.

Fox Sports used to show both days of the Sevens circuit, but obviously the ratings are not there.

I suggest that the only way that the Australian leg will grow, is if it is in Sydney. I say this based on the Hong Kong experience. Fans can party day and night, and the stadium is very accessible from just about everywhere.

Robina Stadium is not a good venue, based on the Hong Kong model. The SFS is closer, but we will never have a Hong Kong Sevens in Oz.

The Hong Kong Sevens is partly about rugby, and there is very little top-class rugby in Hong Kong, so that is a huge advantage in a city full of expats, in a region with lots of expats who are happy to spend a long weekend in HKG. It is also a huge social event - that goes without saying.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Robina is an issue. These events work when they are easy to get to and close to a entertainment district full of bars and night clubs.

Gold Coast is a good location and it's probably on at the right time of the year. They should target some end of season club tours to head up for the weekend.

The promotion of the event is pretty average. It would have been easy for the ARU to put an ad in all of the test match programs this year to promote the GC Sevens. They could have run promotions in Club land for the last few weeks of the season and during the finals in all of the states. Everything they seem to do around it is an after thought.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Should be on during schoolies or tradtional summer school holidays. Before I get told that the 7s schedule waits for no man, I'll add that it certainly will, if the ARU continue to wield the most insignificant stick of all time. Are they officially the IRB's bitches?

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
Channel 10 should make a bid for the rights. I'm not sure if it comes as a package deal with the other events on the Series and Total Rugby, but that would be a bonus.

Might help me coax a few of my mates into coming up with me.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Channel 10 should make a bid for the rights. I'm not sure if it comes as a package deal with the other events on the Series and Total Rugby, but that would be a bonus.

Might help me coax a few of my mates into coming up with me.

You are obviously not a shareholder in Channel Ten. Do you seriously suggest that one of our struggling FTA broadcasters would give over two whole days programming to a third rate sporting event? And that they would actually pay for the opportunity to lose two day's advertising revenue, or most of it? The audience would be miniscule. Just you and your mates, and a few others. (Disclaimer: the term "third rate" is not intended to be derogatory. Tier one events would be the Olympics and the Soccer World Cup. Tier two events would be Grand Slam Tennis tournaments, Cricket Test matches, and some loig and AFL events.)

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
You are obviously not a shareholder in Channel Ten. Do you seriously suggest that one of our struggling FTA broadcasters would give over two whole days programming to a third rate sporting event? And that they would actually pay for the opportunity to lose two day's advertising revenue, or most of it? The audience would be miniscule. Just you and your mates, and a few others. (Disclaimer: the term "third rate" is not intended to be derogatory. Tier one events would be the Olympics and the Soccer World Cup. Tier two events would be Grand Slam Tennis tournaments, Cricket Test matches, and some loig and AFL events.)

Valid points mate and I agree with you.
My point is that Ten have shown third tier sports such as Netball previously and with no other major sports running at the same time as the GC sevens surely there would be a slot for it.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The buggers are not even showing the Test match live tonight on their main channel. Admittedly, there are extenuating circumstances. But if, for example, it was the NRL Grand Final tonight (unlikely, I know) that would be on live, no doubt about .

They might be interested in a late night slot for some highlights. Maybe, at a pinch, they might be interested in showing the final live (but only if Australia is in it). But a Sevens tournament has a lot of matches that the Australian non-rugby audience would just not be interested in. Kenya vs England? I don't think so.

Ratings is the name of the game. FTA needs a schedule that they can sell well in advance. They would not be able to sell even the final unless they were guaranteed that Australia would be in it. No advertiser would be interested. Netball had the advantage of guaranteeing an Australian team in every contest that was to be televised (except for the finals, I suppose). Also the netball was on during the late afternoon, IIRC, whereas the Sevens stretches right into prime, evening, time.

Status
Not open for further replies.