• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gold Coast Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
GCDRU Games for 5 April 2014
3rds

GC Eagles v Coomera Crushers @ GC Eagles Field (near TSS) – 12.30

Nerang v Griffith @ Nerang – 12.30

Helensvale v PBC Gators @ Helensvale – 12.30

Surfers v Celtics @ Surfers (Old Breakers field) – 12.30

2nds

GC Eagles v Bond Pirates @ GC Eagles Field – 1.50pm

Nerang v Griffith @ Nerang – 3.15pm
Helensvale v PBC Gators @ Helensvale – 1.50pm

Surfers v Tweed BaBars @ Surfers – 1.50pm

1sts

GC Eagles v Bond Pirates @ GC Eagles Field – 3.15pm

Nerang v Griffith @ Nerang – 3.15pm

Helensvale v PBC Gators @ Helensvale – 3.15pm

Surfers v Tweed BaBars @ Surfers – 3.15pm

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
GCDRU Games for 12 April 2014
3rds

Griffith v GC Eagles @ Griffith 12.30

PBC Gators v Nerang @ PBC field – bienvenue drive 12.30

Celtics v Hogs @ Celtics – Mt Tamborine12.30

Dolphins v Crushers @ Surfers 12.30

2nds

Griffith v GC Eagles @ Griffith 1.50

PBC Gators v Nerang @ PBC field – bienvenue drive 1.50

Tweed Barbarians v Helensvale @ Mt Tamborine 1.50

Dolphins v Bond Pirates @ Surfers 1.50

1sts

Griffith v GC Eagles @ Griffith 3.15

PBC Gators v Nerang @ PBC field – bienvenue drive 3.15

Tweed Barbarians v Helensvale @ Mt Tamborine 3.15

Dolphins v Bond Pirates @ Surfers 3.15

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Only one game of 1st grade on this weekend.

Eagles 13 defeated Surfers 9 to claim the Barry Moon cup, in a re-schedule of the washed out Round 2 match.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Missed a few weeks so I'll post a table update and some background of what's going on in the comp:

1st grade

Team
P
W
D
L
F
A
Df
BP 4t
BP <7p
Pts

Gold Coast Eagles RUC

Helensvale Hogs RUFC

Surfers Paradise Dolphins RUFC

Palm Beach Alleygators RUFC

Griffith Knights RUFC

Tweed Barbarians RUFC

Nerang Bulls RUFC

Coomera Crushers RUFC

Bond Pirates RUFC
P=Played W=Wins D=Draws L=Losses F=Points For A=Points Against Df=Points Difference BP 4t=Four Tries BP <7p=Close Losses Pts=Ladder Points

It's probably easiest to start at the bottom of the Table - Coomera Crushers are out and instead of playing 3 grades, are playing 3rd grade.

Bond Pirates are suffering badly with their 1st grade apparently* providing plenty of cattle for the Premier grade. Effectively 2nd grade is playing 1st, 3rds playing 2nd.

Nerang Bulls have been playing with a lot of guts - they've defended well and counter attacked well. Unfortunately they seem to have a similar issue to Bond - simply a lack of players/depth.

Tweed BaBars are in the same boat, but have plenty of grunt in the guys they do have available so have managed to pick off both Bond and Nerang. It will be interesting to see how they match up against the Gators when they eventually meet. This is a team that will put up more than one upset win against the top ranked teams.

Beyond that, it looks pretty evenly mixed - Helensvale have been punishing, Gators playing high-tempo, Eagles have been very slick and, Dolphins have got size in the form of most of the bouncers from Cavill & Orchid aves. I can't comment on Griffith as I haven't seen them or heard much. I'll give them their own write-up after the weekend of Saturday 24 May 2014.

To go out on a limb - the top four come august will be Hogs, Gators, Eagles, Dolphins

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
OK, I won't edit that - but my table looked pretty before I hit submit.

for 2nds and 3rds I'll try something different.

2nds

Griffith Knights RUFC P5 W5 +85PtsDf Pts24
Helensvale Hoggies P4 W4 +197PtsDf Pts 23
PBC Gators P5 W3 +79Pts Df Pts 18
GC Eagles RUC P6 W1 D1 -10PD Pts 13
Surfers Dolphins P6 W2 D1 -20PD Pts 11
Nerang Bulls P5 W2 -91PD Pts 8
Bond Pirates P5 W1 -100PD Pts 4

Tweed BaBars P5 W0 -100PD Pts 3

As detailed above, the Crushers had to fold into thirds at the start of the season.

Bond and Tweed are both low on players which has definitely hurt them but some pretty spirited play has seen the BaBars pick up 3 bonus points to keep it ticking along.

Bulls would be a great team if they had some more guys. The weekend we (Gators) played them I'm pretty sure I saw some guys play in all three grades. I was playing opposite one of the backs in 3rds, got a rest with 20 to go in that game until the last 10m of 2nds when I got put on from the bench - this guy was still out there 90 minutes later, making hit ups and tackles.

Eagles 2nd grade have a good forward pack and backs with some good defense. Unfortunately, they were pretty limited in back-line attack when we played them. Pillar posting up aggressively around the ruck and then a slide defense with a good 7 ready to attack the ball leaves this team without options.

Dolphins have got some big units and will be fairly dominant around the ruck against any team. Unfortunately, this means they lack speed and stamina in the forwards. Fast, around the corner play is effective. When playing them an extra forward is needed to ensure ball retention as the breakdown was consistently defended aggressively.

Gators are doing more of the same this year, quick ball and fighting to set a good structure. Suffering in size means the scrums aren't great and can be put on the back foot early by a bigger pack. The difference this year is the depth at the club - there are full teams for the first time in a while which helps when the game plan is to push the pace.

Hoggies look pretty good this year - playing a similar game to the Gators, they also have some bigger blokes on the field, forwards and backs. These guys will probably be the team to beat in 2nds.

The Knights haven't played the Hoggies or Gators which will be interesting to see. I'll write up again once this has happened.

T

Train Without a Station

Interesting that after running Pirates into the ground, the former coach has now gone to Tweed, taking what few players Pirates had and seemingly running them into the ground also.

T

Train Without a Station

Well since 2011 he tried to import a lot of players from Gisborne, NZ.

Essentially at the expense of the players who had been at the club a long time which turned a few off. Due to the fact it seemed like anybody from some small town club in another country was already judged ahead of many of the local boys many left.

A couple just don't play, a few more are now at other clubs unfortunately (the names Simon Rezo and Luke Halcro may or may not ring a bell to you).

Then when the club basically bottomed out last year struggling for results and numbers they told him he wasn't required in 2014 and he has since gone to Baa Baa's and taken a handful of those players who he hadn't driven away.

Can't speak on behalf of Baa Baa's regarding their numbers now but based on playing them in 2010, and then I'm pretty sure they weren't even there in 2011, they were always going to struggle anyway.

From speaking to the President this year Pirates are just trying to maintain the boys they have for now, rather than losing players and hopefully grow there numbers going forward again.

It's really been a rough trot since the end of 2009 when a few first graders retired, and then about 10 (and probably another 10 quality reserve graders too) went to play League with the previous 1sts and 2nds coaches. I think there were 4 or 5 of us that played 1st grade regularly in 2009 that remained in 2010.

A couple of quality players over that period also progressed to Breakers, but that should be both expected and strongly encouraged.

Hopefully with some quality long term Pirates like Matt Peel (ex Breakers, Norths and QLD Country) and Abraham Buatava running around for them again, it may encourage a few more of the quality older players (both quality players and people - something that was really missed the last few years) to come back.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Mate 3/4 of those names ring a bell - the first two are down at Gators and playing great.

Peely's brother is Gators physio, so I suspect if he hadn't been running around for Bond since he was a little tacker we might have a shot at poaching him.

Edit: I have since found out from ex-bondies that Peel is both our physio and playing for Bond. I thought it was his younger brother who was playing. Suddenly it makes sense why his go-to treatment is jabbing us with needles.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
3rd grade

This might be the most interesting of the 3 comps.

Coomera Crushers P4 W3 L1 +94 Pts19
Griffith Knights RUFC P4 W3 L1 +75PtsDf Pts16
Hinterland Celtics P5 W3 L1 D1 +60Pts Df Pts16
Helensvale Hoggies P4 W3 D1 +59PtsDf Pts 16
PBC Gators P5 W2 D1 L2 -6Pts Df Pts 12
Surfers Dolphins P6 W1 D2 L3 -73PD Pts 8
GC Eagles RUC P6 W0 L6 -91PD Pts 0

Nerang Bulls P5 W0 L5 -118PD Pts 0

On any given Saturday most (not all) teams could beat any other team.

The two stand outs are the 3rd grade only teams - Coomera and Hinterland Celtics.

I haven't got to see the Crushers in action yet but will update after this weekend. The headline is that this is a 3rd grade team made up of the blokes they thought they had for 1st and 2nd grades, so they've been dusting a few teams up - They put up 50 points on Surfers in Round 4. It will be interesting to see if they continue to dominate.

The Celtics are a great team to watch - it really seems like a team of mates. Nothing too spectacular from them beyond lots of experience and hard work with the exception of their fullback. When he's on-field they are a very dangerous attacking team, when he's off its a matter of their midfield crashing it up.

Haven't seen the knights, will write up once I've seen em.

The Hogs 3rds are full of talent and could well be playing competitively in second grade. They've got a pair of big centres and a forward pack who are prepared to work - I reckon these guys should be the hot favourites come finals time (especially if their 2nd grade miss out on finals).

Gators have got a cast of thousands playing for their 3rds - including what looks like most of the Fijians on the Gold Coast. They don't have backline calls, just a description in fijian of what they propose to do. What they lack is a front row. If anyone has any cousins who are props and want to move from the veld to Palm Beach, let me know. If Gators can settle their forward pack, this is a team that will make a real run at the 3rd grade championship.

Dolphins, Eagles and Bulls are all covered in my posts earlier.

Basically Dolphins have got some size but aren't capitalising on it. Eagles looks like a team put together on the fly.
Nerang play with spirit but there's just not enough of them.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
PBC 3rds 18 v Crushers 17

PBC 2nds 50 v Bond 2nds 14

PBC 1sts 71 v Bond 1sts 10

Great day of rugby at PBC Alleygators this weekend:

The 3rd grade game was fantastic, lots of back and forth and a missed conversion the difference. Winger Adam Bartels picked up a double on his debut for the club. Coomera look like they have a lot of potential but only having 1 sub really hurt them.

The 2nd grade game was good but marred by some sloppy handling and a bit of biff. The Bond 2nds seem to be very frustrated with their lot this year and their game plan seems to be more about shots and niggle than anything productive. Most 2nds for Bond had to back up for their 1sts as well. This Bond team could be much more competitive if they had some structure in defense and some depth in attack. Palmy 2nds looked good in the forwards but the backs took some time to click, the rush defense took some time to adjust to, but shifting the ball quickly solved that issue instantly.

1st Grade was a beating by Palmy, with the forwards and backs clicking. There was some amazing skill shown by Corey Morris who swooped on a loose ball, recovered his own chip kick and threw an out the back pass for a try. Promising signs for Palmy with both 1st and 2nd grade keeping the pressure on, there have been times this season where a lead has opened up and the players have relaxed, letting the other side back in the game.

Next week is Cyclones rep footy so we have a bye week.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
GCDRU Games for 31 May 2014
3rds

GC Eagles v Surfers Dolphins @ Eagles 12.30

PBC Gators v Hinterland Celtics @ PBC field – bienvenue drive 12.30

Helensvale Hogs v Griffith Colleges @ Helensvale

Nerang v Coomera Crushers @ Nerang 12.30

2nds

GC Eagles v Surfers Dolphins 1.50

PBC Gators v Tweed Barbarians @ PBC field – bienvenue drive 1.50

Helensvale Hogs v Griffith Colleges @ Helensvale

Nerang v Bond Pirates @ Nerang 1.50

1sts

GC Eagles v Surfers Dolphins 3.15

PBC Gators v Tweed Barbarians @ PBC field – bienvenue drive 3.15

Helensvale Hogs v Griffith Colleges@ Mt Tamborine 3.15

Nerang v Bond Pirates @ Surfers 3.15

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Results from 24 May 2014

Tweed 1 v Eagles: 0 - 28 Eagles
Tweed 2 v Eagles: 5 - 13 Eagles
Celtics v Eagles: 18 - 21 Eagles

Surfers 1 v Nerang 1: ?
Surfers 2 v Nerang 2 : ?
Surfers 3 v Nerang 3 : ?

Helensvale 1 v Bond 1 : 61 - 0 Hogs
Helensvale 2 v Bond 2 : 102-0 Hogs
Helensvale 3 v Crushers : 12-15 Crushers

PBCRUFC 1 v Griffith 1 : 30 - 17 Palmy
PBCRUFC 2 v Griffith 2 : 49 - 19 Palmy
PBCRUFC 3 v Griffith 3 : 27 - 7 Griffith

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Highlights from the round:
- Palmy putting nearly 50 points on colleges undefeated 2nds.
- Helensvale 2nds notching a century. season average 60 points scored per game with 3 against. watch out Colleges on Saturday.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
A Massive day down at Alleygators this Saturday with The Helensvale Hoggies coming down to PBC.

The Hoggies are favourites for all three grades and Palm Beach are below them in all three grades, separated by one team in each grade.

Palmy will be looking to ambush the Hoggies who have been very impressive this season.

@Sully - you should make this a day to check out. Are you beating your score of 2 games last season?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Interesting post from before christmas on the Surfers Paradise facebook page. New 1st grade player/coach has played 20 internationals for Italy, including 13 six nations games.

Welcome to our new A Grade coaches for 2015.. Chris Miles played Welsh Under 21's AND Wales A hooker ( Forwards Development Coach ) and Kris Burton played over 20 tests for Italy Head Coach and Backs player Coach. Contact the club for more details.......Go The Fins in 2015.

http://www.espnscrum.com/italy/rugby/player/15630.html

Status
Not open for further replies.