• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I watched Silicone Valley and really enjoyed it. If your into nerdy comedies you'll like it. There is a scene in the final episode that had me in stitches.

It's on the 'to watch' list. Similar vein to the IT crowd I'm told.

Due to the untimely passing of Rik Mayall I'll probably go through a back catalog of his work, e.g. The Young Ones, new statesman, Bottom, Filthy Rich & Catflap, Blackadder. Funny, funny man.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Old School with Sam Neill and Bryan Brown from the writer and director of Two Hands.

Great stuff from the ABC. Catch up on iView.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Old School with Sam Neill and Bryan Brown from the writer and director of Two Hands.

Great stuff from the ABC. Catch up on iView.

Watched a bit of this. Probably more targeted at my old man but i quite enjoyed it.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
It's on the 'to watch' list. Similar vein to the IT crowd I'm told.

Due to the untimely passing of Rik Mayall I'll probably go through a back catalog of his work, e.g. The Young Ones, new statesman, Bottom, Filthy Rich & Catflap, Blackadder. Funny, funny man.

Don't forget "comic strip presents..." I think one of the later programmes was "4 Men in a car". Genius. This was I think 3 out of 4 Young Ones plus Dawn French and a few other great cameos

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'll be the first to admit I'm a sucker for costume-dramas, historical miniseries etc. but I just finished watching TURN on AMC. It's about spyrings in America during the War of Independence.

Watching BBC's The Musketeers. It doesnt hold a candle to much better historical shows like, say John Adams, Deadwood, Rome etc etc but it's an enjoyable watch for a solid 7/10 series.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Just finished watching the Last Ship. Something to fill the void when Falling Skies goes off the air next year. Looks quite promising with a reasonable cast of B-Grade actors that tick enough boxes.

T

Train Without a Station

So I've been watching White Collar lately. If you can get past the horrid blue screen effects used it's quite good. Not sure how I missed it for so long.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
I Didn't realise Outlander was on SoHo. Been watching it via the interweb with the wife. She has read all of the 8 of the books. Now I know how she felt when we started watching GoT.
It's aimed directly at the ladies - but its pretty good to look back on the Highland history

The Northern winter season starts soon.
SoA is back next week
The Walking Dead in Oct
The Newsroom in Nov

Good times.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Sad that this will be the last SoA season, but it had to come to an end sometime. I think then plan to make a series around the early days of clay/john would be a good one, albeit we know how it ends.

TWD trailer looks good and from all the leaks/spoilers floating around it promises to be a big series.

Newsroom, haven't seen. Can you give me the elevator pitch?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Just finished watching the Last Ship.
found myself hooked on that although they ladle out the treacly seppotastic military rubbish pretty thick.
yer almost obliged to do about 10 comedic Benny Hill salutes at the overwrought bits every episode.
The last line of the series, from the captain, was so ludicrous I just burst out laughing

Boardwalk empire starts sep 7

The Leftovers, started a bit sooky, but some murderously well done episodes come thru

SoA iHomo it jumped the shark about 2 seasons ago when it went from cool biker dudes hijinks to soapy sooky stories focused too much on the nasty women. Fucking Peg Bundy married to the producer! Wrecked ut!

T

Train Without a Station

Sad that this will be the last SoA season, but it had to come to an end sometime. I think then plan to make a series around the early days of clay/john would be a good one, albeit we know how it ends.

Newsroom, haven't seen. Can you give me the elevator pitch?

Ultimately 7 seasons is a solid run. The Sopranos ended at 6. A prequel would be good in my opinion too.

Newsroom. Jeff Daniels plays a News anchor and it's just a week to week of them breaking stories. It begins with him giving a university speech which could be construed as being very cynical and unpatriotic.

Also his ex becomes the new producer and there's a fair bit involved in that. It was about 2 years ago I watched season 1 now but I think the deal is he agrees to it but she's essentially on a weekly contract and he can fire her at the end of each week if he wants. Plus she has a very annoying attitude and English accent.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Newsroom S2 is very much more focussed on a specific story arc. Well worth the viewing.
Aaron Sorkin is a freak.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
found myself hooked on that although they ladle out the treacly seppotastic military rubbish pretty thick.
yer almost obliged to do about 10 comedic Benny Hill salutes at the overwrought bits every episode.
The last line of the series, from the captain, was so ludicrous I just burst out laughing

Boardwalk empire starts sep 7

The Leftovers, started a bit sooky, but some murderously well done episodes come thru

SoA iHomo it jumped the shark about 2 seasons ago when it went from cool biker dudes hijinks to soapy sooky stories focused too much on the nasty women. Fucking Peg Bundy married to the producer! Wrecked ut!

(spoiler alert)

Yes, you are going to get this when Michael Bay produces a TV series - nothing is ever underdone. I told the wife the Doctor McSteamy (Eric Dane) was in it and she showed an interest, then she saw the first scene in Egypt and then got too grossed out. Fair to say she's not a fan of the walking dead either, but strangely she was hooked on GoT after 2 episodes.

The reason it caught my attention was Adam Baldwin (Chuck, Firefly) and Rhona Mitra (Strike Back and various b-grade movies). The rest are nobodies, although I could have sworn the evil chick (the one trying to seal all the vaccines) in the last episode I've seen before.

The think I worry about with The Last Ship is the same thing that happened to Revolution; the main goal of the show was achieved after a season. For Revolution they had to get the power back on, when it went on it went back off again and the series took a very boring turn. No wonder it was cancelled. In The Last Ship they have found the vaccines and now they are trying to find their way in the post-apocalyptic world. They have any meany good story arcs to run as Revolution, let's hope they choose the right one.

For me the best season of SoA was still season three, I NEVER saw that ending coming in the season finale with the ATF agent before they went to jail. Some of the finales have been good, but the seasons have been lacking. Although ol' Peggy Bundy doesn't make it more like a soap opera, but what she did to Tara I think many fans have been screaming for for about 7 seasons!

Have you managed to catch Falling Skies?

T

Train Without a Station

Has anybody been watching Head First on either ABC or SBS? Great viewing.