• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Do you think Kurt Sutter is going to make the prequel series that focuses on John Teller and Clay Morrow in their early years? Would be a cracker of a series.

That would be a gold mine for another 4-6 season run I would say. There is so much that touches back on that.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Just recorded the series of True Detective off Foxtel's Box Sets. Great new channel.

Especially loving Woody Harrelson. Nice to see him in something other than a stoner pic on Bill Maher's Twitter.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just recorded the series of True Detective off Foxtel's Box Sets. Great new channel.

Especially loving Woody Harrelson. Nice to see him in something other than a stoner pic on Bill Maher's Twitter.
Really enjoyed True Detective. Harrelson and McConaghy will be a hard pairing to top, it's a pity the way the series is written they can't continue.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
SoA **spoiler**

Limped over the finish line having divested all dramatic intensity from their characters over the course of a girlie overwrought penultimate season and a flat-out lame final season. Remember the very first scene from ep1 season 1, the dead body that was such a big deal? A homicide investigation! In little Charming, pop. 26! This season the main characters were shooting faces off like they were popping tic-tacs. The body count was outlandish. Unser said he fired his gun once in 20 years? In a real life time frame of, what, 2 weeks (?), realistically the club must've shot about 80% of the whole fucking town.

The last 15 mins were a giant wft. Mayhem vote for Jax then wft, they shoot Happy in the arm and mumble some shit about covering Jax while he runs away? Zero intensity. Fittingly, Happy reacts to getting shot as if he'd just had a tic-tac thrown at him.

They tried to ramp it up with 10 mins of weepy man hugs, sorry fellas, the horse had bolted when the ensemble woodenly sleepwalked thru a season of casual, consequence-free murderings.

Jax and his jesus christ pose into a truck, I almost felt bad for the producers there, maybe they had completely run out of money? That cgi looked like me barking my shins on my MS Paint set. In 1998.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've just noticed this thread.

Last season of The Newsroom on air tonight

Sob, one more episode to go now - what am I going to do afterwards?

Vikings (series 2) starts this week.

SBS1, Thursdays, 9.30pm

Just as good as Series 1 - outstanding.

Outlander

SoHo (Pay TV)

Top show - just as well she got rodgered: the suspense was killing me.

True Detective with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey is well worth a watch. McConaughey is outstanding in it.

Outstanding TV - and bears watching a second time for "now I get it" moments.

Other good shows I have watched/am watching recently:

Orphan Black

Peaky Blinders

Fargo - Like the movie, claims to be a true story but isn't, though it doesn't stop it being great TV. It's silly to make the claims though. Billy Bob Thornton is the best baddy.

The Pacific - (the Pacific version of "Band of Brothers") - watched it over two days after recording it on the Box Sets channel. A powerful series.

The Nick - The Clive Owen character is brilliant in this Soderbergh show, that may not be for everybody.

It's about a New York hospital about 1900 which does surgical innovations - and everybody seems to hate each other.

It sounds like serious stuff but there's a few funny lines in it. This one, in the first episode, should not be too much of a spoiler.

There's a scene where an audience of doctors is watching an early epidural procedure (the patient is listening):

Surgeon: This procedure has been tried just once before - on a labrador.​
Someone else: Was it successful?​
Surgeon: There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss that dog.​

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Just Binge watched to the finish of True Detective. The ending was perhaps a touch anticlimactic, but they have left it wide open for season 2.

Matthew Mcconaughey's performance in episode 6 was epic.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I've just noticed this thread.

Sob, one more episode to go now - what am I going to do afterwards?

Just as good as Series 1 - outstanding.

Top show - just as well she got rodgered: the suspense was killing me.

Outstanding TV - and bears watching a second time for "now I get it" moments.

Other good shows I have watched/am watching recently:

Orphan Black

Peaky Blinders

Fargo - Like the movie, claims to be a true story but isn't, though it doesn't stop it being great TV. It's silly to make the claims though. Billy Bob Thornton is the best baddy.

The Pacific - (the Pacific version of "Band of Brothers") - watched it over two days after recording it on the Box Sets channel. A powerful series.

The Nick - The Clive Owen character is brilliant in this Soderbergh show, that may not be for everybody.

It's about a New York hospital about 1900 which does surgical innovations - and everybody seems to hate each other.

It sounds like serious stuff but there's a few funny lines in it. This one, in the first episode, should not be too much of a spoiler.

There's a scene where an audience of doctors is watching an early epidural procedure (the patient is listening):

Surgeon: This procedure has been tried just once before - on a labrador.​
Someone else: Was it successful?​
Surgeon: There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss that dog.​
You have fine taste in television, sir.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SoA **spoiler**

I agree that the last two seasons really went downhill. Perhaps everything could have been wound up a season earlier with half the ridiculous destruction that occurred. In the last season, the only episode that I thought was really up there with the best of the whole show was episode 10, Faith and Despondency where they took revenge for Bobby Elvis.

It still goes down as one of my favourite shows. There really was some brilliant TV along the way and some excellent characters.

It suffered from the fact that it seemed like there could really only be one ending and it unfolded fairly predictably (except for a few fairly ridiculous things you've pointed out).

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I agree that the last two seasons really went downhill. Perhaps everything could have been wound up a season earlier with half the ridiculous destruction that occurred. In the last season, the only episode that I thought was really up there with the best of the whole show was episode 10, Faith and Despondency where they took revenge for Bobby Elvis.

It still goes down as one of my favorite shows. There really was some brilliant TV along the way and some excellent characters.

It suffered from the fact that it seemed like there could really only be one ending and it unfolded fairly predictably (except for a few fairly ridiculous things you've pointed out).

This could potentially be a loaded question, or it could even start it's own thread. I tend to agree seasons 6 and 7 were a little predictable and the earlier ones were the most surprising. For me season three was the best in terms of storyline, action and plot twists. The season finale and all of the shenanigans that happened is still my favorite episode. The story arc (rescue Abel, go to Ireland, thwart the ATF agent etc...) was solid throughout the season and was nicely concluded.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Season 1 is better than season 2. White Bear (Episode 2) is probably the best, although Tobias Menzies is excellent in #3.

Need to get around to watching the Christmas special.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anyone seen Black Mirror? Watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good.

It's completely off the wall but very good. I've got only the first series and watched two episodes (out of three).

It's completely whacko - satire with a twist and each episode separate.

It's not for everbody but OK if you want to be gobsmacked.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Black Mirror would be one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

woah, The Knick, didnt last long there, flagged it at the first gruesome experimental surgery scene, replete with slurpy bloody noises.

started on MadMen, bit of a soapie but the writing is sharp. Does it go downhill a few seasons down the line? The profuse smoking is a bit comical, holy shit, why don't they just be done with it and smoke 2 fags at once. You know they want to.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's great stuff - lot's of blood and gore, vampires and characters like Dr. Frankenstein and Dorian Gray in it - plus a good measure of rodgering which I find essential to the plot of a good TV show: makes it more stimulating.

Who are the next "guests" for Series 2 - Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde? Jack the Ripper?

I see that the third season of "The Killing" (US version) is on Soho HD now. The first season was a knock-off of the Scandinavian "Forbrydelsen" which was sensational in Europe when it came out. Every girl in Sweden started wearing the same kind of sweater that the female detective did on TV, apparently.

They've also had a fourth US season which I haven't seen - and a third Scandinavian series, but I've seen the first two only. I find the Scandinavian productions better than the US versions but the American series are top-quality viewing.

If you get a chance watch "The Bridge" which was also a highly rated Scandinavian crime TV production - but again the English language US knock-off version is top notch. The plots are completely different, though Series 1 of both had the same grisly start.

There were two US series, which I have seen. There were four Scandinavian series but I've seen only two of them.

Great viewing - don't miss.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't know if it's been mentioned but Broadchurch is a great english detective drama. Season 2 is just starting again now. David Tennant plays the lead very well. Recommend it to anyone who enjoyed True Detective.