• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
The Unbreakable Kimmy Scmhidt will hopefully get a foothold in Netflix land.
The short format comedy is poorly under represented on TV.
We need less stereotypical sitcoms and more like this.
I'm really enjoying it. It takes the piss out of consumerism so well.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Netflix exclusives in general. HoCs, OITNB, Unbeakable, and Daredevil have been mentioned, but Bojack Horseman is significant step up from most Adult Swim shows, probably along the class of Archer and Rick&Morty.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm just in the process of finishing off The Wire season 1. Really love it. I'll be watching a couple more seasons over the June/July holidays.

Only 6 seasons to go. Have it all on DVD and after watching live on Fox episode by episode, spent a good lot of hours watching a second time.

Another great series I see is showing again on Fox atm is Generation Kill, based on the US and allied invasion of Iraq but with a definitely different approach to the usual US war tripe.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Jinx: the life & deaths of Roberst Durst". I happened upon Ep 1 while channel-surfing & thought it had to be a mockumentary, surely not even the U.S. justice system could get it so horribly wrong not once, not twice but three times. Then found out it's 100% kosher which just increases the "WTF/HTF" factor. In a word, glacial: very slow moving but ultimately irresistible.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
"Jinx: the life & deaths of Roberst Durst". I happened upon Ep 1 while channel-surfing & thought it had to be a mockumentary, surely not even the U.S. justice system could get it so horribly wrong not once, not twice but three times. Then found out it's 100% kosher which just increases the "WTF/HTF" factor. In a word, glacial: very slow moving but ultimately irresistible.

It is awesome. My only advice is not to google ANYTHING about it so as not to spoil it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^ have resisted the temptation. Taped Final (?) Ep last night for watching over the weekend then may watch all five back-to-back if it's wet on Sunday.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Unbreakable Kimmy Scmhidt will hopefully get a foothold in Netflix land.
The short format comedy is poorly under represented on TV.
We need less stereotypical sitcoms and more like this.
I'm really enjoying it. It takes the piss out of consumerism so well.

followed up on this, really great

another one I recommend is "Transparent" about a tranny dad and his spoilt shit family that seems so realistic

tt3502262.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just got round to watching the final Ep of The Jinx. Fucking awesome & will def watch the whole series again when I've got time. Highly recommended.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How did you interpret the ending WO. Was the doco maker content that he had solved the case or did some other official action follow, I wonder?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ pretty obvious the producers think they got their man. I see he's been arrested in New Orleans on gun possession charges & that the Federal prosecutor has taken over the case.

They presumably can't re-try him for killing his neighbour & you'd think it'd be difficult to prosecute him over his wife's disappearance given it was so long ago & she's never been found. Which leaves the murder of his friend in LA & the envelopes & letters that provoked his on-tape "confession".

It being the U.S. & him being filthy rich (tho I also see his brother is trying to get his assets frozen), it'll likely take years to get to court & then if convicted of anything there'll be endless appeals & he's not a young man..........

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^^^^^^ pretty obvious the producers think they got their man. I see he's been arrested in New Orleans on gun possession charges & that the Federal prosecutor has taken over the case.

They presumably can't re-try him for killing his neighbour & you'd think it'd be difficult to prosecute him over his wife's disappearance given it was so long ago & she's never been found. Which leaves the murder of his friend in LA & the envelopes & letters that provoked his on-tape "confession".

It being the U.S. & him being filthy rich (tho I also see his brother is trying to get his assets frozen), it'll likely take years to get to court & then if convicted of anything there'll be endless appeals & he's not a young man....

And I think I'm right saying that he 'got' bail within 24 hours after being arrested on the first murder charge. So wouldn't expect to see him do much time at all.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Starting to use Foxtel's box sets function to watch some shows I have missed. I now have churned through Ray Donovan. When ever you think your family has issues, watch a couple episodes of this to see what true dysfunction is all about

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Ray Donovan back in business Jul 12. Great stuff
The Martin short cameo was Gold
wow, how mad was that. Too bad the writing was way off in that episode, degenerated quite egregiously into standard sitcom fodder, half thought I was watching an episode of the fuckhead Big Bang Theory or some shit

True Detective back today, on a hiding to nothing after Season 1 and it was not flash. You could say ep.1 was just a set-up but it was not compelling viewing. 4 main characters? Vince Vaughn trying to impart gravitas is like a fart trying to address the United Nations assembly on global warming.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
True Detective back today, on a hiding to nothing after Season 1 and it was not flash. You could say ep.1 was just a set-up but it was not compelling viewing. 4 main characters? Vince Vaughn trying to impart gravitas is like a fart trying to address the United Nations assembly on global warming.

S2 certainly has a lot to live up to.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
OK, in between GoT and TWD a few of my 2014 shows have returned for my viewing pleasure.

• True Detective. Yes, a lot to live up to. The cast looks good so far, but that's all I've looked into. Appreciate the 'yellow' writing up above gentlemen :)
  • Defiance - now into season three, I'm not sure where this one is going. The main story Arc seems to be a civil war and invasion of an ancient alien warriors. They killed off two members of the reoccurring cast in episode 1, so they are not afraid to mix things up. Hopefully Linda 'crazy cat lady' Hamilton can breathe some life into this series, where Grant Bowler is failing.
  • The Last Ship. Season 1 was entertaining, and it picks up right where they left it. Still has some promise in it and still has some of my favourite B grade actor types in it.
Whilst half of my Plex server remains in ruins (curse you cheap HDDs) I'm now watching old series like the original House of Cards Triology. Got that Urquhart fella was a heartless bastard.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
...and almost forgot - Strike Back: Legacy. Always liked this series for the special blend of guns, horrible one-liners and bonking. Although for the bonking fans series 5 is a led down compared to previous series. This this is the last series that will be made...