• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Tennant is a fabulous actor, and my 7th favourite Doctor.

The major difference between JJ and Luke Cage for mine was the positive heroism displayed by Cage, and Tennant's performance as the villain, which provided a counterpoint similar to that of Donofrio's Fisk in Daredevil, absent in Cage for mine.

Yeah, Diamonback didn't exactly hit the mark in terms of villainy for me either.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Tennant is a fabulous actor, and my 7th favourite Doctor.

The major difference between JJ and Luke Cage for mine was the positive heroism displayed by Cage, and Tennant's performance as the villain, which provided a counterpoint similar to that of Donofrio's Fisk in Daredevil, absent in Cage for mine.

Out of interest, who is your favorite. I'm a big Tom Baker fan. Never seen a Dr Who with Tennant is impressing me with his psycho portrayal in JJ.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Well, Rachel Taylor is one of them. Don't how she started nor do I care. Have a bit of a thing for her. Then there's Carrie-Ann Moss and the two other blokes. The junky (I remember him from some surf show) and the guy who plays Taylors boyfriend. No idea their names but recognise them.

A notable actor for me in JJ is David Tennant who happens to be a relative.

Rachel Taylor, yes. One start for you.

The other is Will Traval, who plays Sgt Will Simpson. Better known in Australia for his work on Underbelly: The Golden Mile and All Saints.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Out of interest, who is your favorite. I'm a big Tom Baker fan. Never seen a Dr Who with Tennant is impressing me with his psycho portrayal in JJ.
Capaldi. I love him as an actor, I love him as a Doctor in universe, and I love him as a Doctor out of Universe.

Then McGann. Not much video, but he is the undisputed king of the Audio Dramas.

Pertwee for the Kung Fu and because he was my parents favourite, how I got introduced to Classic who.

Eccleston because you never forget your first, and both Dalek and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances remain in my all time top 10 stories.

Tom Baker rounds out the Top 5 for obvious reasons.

Then McCoy. He's a scheming bastard. He's Scottish. And he's got Ace.

Then Tennant.

Getting into New Who is not obvious. Watch highly rated standalone episodes of Tennants run, of which I can have a go at if you want. If you don't like it, give up, you're not going to enjoy traipsing through low quality for the arcs.

If you do, go back to Eccleston's run, cringe your way through episodes 1, 4 and 5, then enjoy yourself. Dalek through Christmad Invasion was arguably the best run the show had in the first two seasons, with some very high quality with the poor episodes only being predictable and goofy rather than badly written/acted/Costumed/CGId.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Capaldi. I love him as an actor, I love him as a Doctor in universe, and I love him as a Doctor out of Universe.

Capaldi?!
Surely not.
Admittedly I've watched only the new Who (pretty devoted fan at that) but Capaldi's run so far is not engaging in the slightest. Just can't compare to the Rose Tyler arc with DT.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Haha, maybe I'm looking back at it with rose-tinted glasses (pun intended). Thoughts on Matt Smith/Karen Gillian?
Matt Smith is a very personal dislike for no rational reason. He has a number of excellent stories, mostly with those with Kingston, and he portrays, "The Doctor" more faithfully than Tennant, (in that, the Troughton through Davidson Doctors shine through 11 more than 10, who was very much his own Doctor, being a Hero, reckless for the sake of reckless, "selfish" in an uninteresting way, as compared to that of McCoy).

But I just don't like him. Happy to be absolutely blasted by people.

Clara is a weak companion who does disservice to both the show and Jenna Coleman's acting ability. In spite of this, Season 9 was easily the second best Season of NuWho, behind 4, which, bar cheesey last story was the highpoint of the current iteration. Every season has its garbage though.

Season 2 has the triple header of The Idiot's Lantern, Love and Monsters and Fear Her though. When you add very middling episodes like New Earth, Tooth and Claw and the Cyberman 2 parter, even the The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and The Girl in the Fireplace can't save it, as amazing as hey are.

(addendum: WATCH Torchwood: Children of Earth. Top 5 individual work in the NuWho Universe)

Heaven Sent is what turned Capaldi from about 4 on the list to number 1. Up there with Genesis of the Daleks IMO.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Preacher with the bonkers season finale, internet packing a bit of a sad over it though, The Observer in particular tearfully furious. VERY serious over a make believe fucking TV show. I loved it, the nutso closing montage went to town and back, esp. the pic below. After the gales of laughter had subsided, first thought was “screenshot”, of course someone beat me to it. Won’t pose actual pic *spoiler* although might have to make my own screenshot from a frame later with the kid smiling his arse off for the camera hahaha I am a c**t at times.

At all times.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...s_Tracy.png/revision/latest?cb=20160801180347

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
QUARRY, 1973, V.Nam vet comes back to U.S and yeah well of course it all goes to shit. So great. The music placement is just perfect, oh God, the BIG STAR lp

Westworld might have half the internet going spacco hidden clue bonkers, and is great in all its pricey fantastical mysteriousness, but Quarry is the one I'm finding myself thinking about the next day

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Gonna be that guy. DAE Star Trek? :p

In all seriousness, I've just finished watching all the Star Trek series since they came onto Netflix and I've had a great time, I was always a Star Wars guy, and while I probably still am, I get the Trekkers now.

On an actual question note, can any Sci Fi peeps explain to me why Deep Space 9 isn't talked about in the same way as The Original Series and the next Generation? Voyager and Enterprise were a step down from those 3, but putting the Trek formula aside, DS9 is the best genuine SciFi of the lot of them. And the Secondary characters often get stronger arcs and personalities than Primary ones do on the other shows.

In the scene here, Garak has a better scene than anything La Forge and Troi did on the whole of TNG!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Westworld with the satisfying finale. Tethered all the bits together at a pace my tiny brain could just keep up with without being quite able to elucidate “why” in terms of overall arc as it actually happened, letting me just enjoy the show.

Key moment for me was when Maeve decided to disembark train bound for GTFO City Limits , a departure from her pre-programmed narrative foretold by a rescusitated Bernie just before Maeve snapped his computer “…then you go to the mainland..” bam. No mainland. Stupidly goes back to save her non-existent child (those coordinates? More narrative!) Now she has free will

The moonlit drama at the seaside curtain-raise scene was a relief as it was all looking a bit chick scene there. (guessing they’d have to monitor that coastline for citizens looking to skip the 40,000 a day pricetag and scuba in for a free burl on the park… using the same monitoring apparatii that missed Maeve wreaking unholy havoc in the labs about 3 episdoes ago.)

Black hat willy will surely survive the massacre for S2. He owns the fuckin park

All the hosts released from storage to massacre the guests? Haha hope they show that in S2e1. Hope Bernie joins in with Dolores to break some heads

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
no more Westworld til 2018. another one of my brilliant theroies holds that, given their penchant for timelines, that's not the last we've seen of Logan getting buck-naked brokeback paddled off into the horizon aboard Tonto. I reckon they've made Willy in Black purposefully wizened in S1 so they can do another timeline in S2 from 10 years prior with Willy and Logan setting to in an almighty stoush of some sort.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Check out "Dirk Gently" on Netflix (original) . Sci-Fi comedy based loosely on a Douglas Adams of hitch hikers gttg fame.

Dr who/red dwarf/fight club?

Elijah Wood in the lead.

Smart, fast moving thriller with lol moments.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Watched 'The OA'. Thought it was good without wowing me. Lacked the fun of 'Stranger Things'. With ST once I started watching it I had to finish it while with 'The OA' I kind of came and went over the past 3 weeks.

Haven't watch 'Dirk Gently'. Been hearing mixed reviews. Some love it, some not so much many about the same as I am with 'The OA'.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The OA was ultimately disappointing. Thought some of the acting was good though - liked the performance by the main kid. A very good depiction of a troubled, bullying type of kid.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Blacklist on hiatus til Apr 21, still hooked on this shit despite the main woman being somehow just really vaguely annoying.

Homeland season 6, still pretty crafty although real bummer about Peter Quinn losing his macgyver bollocks

The Americans, season 4 is here, still top shit although could do with more spy craft skullduggery macgyver shit. The gravedigging scene in ep1 was somehow incredibly menial yet intensely well done. Bugger me how long did it go for, 6 or 7 minutes?

Review. fuck me this is mental. flatout laughing my arse off at ep1 cocaine scene. It’s a comedy about some idiot who reviews shit like addiction and stealing. By getting addicted to stuff and going out and stealing shit then alloting stars from 1-5 for the experience. The main guy is goddamn perfect

Legion. marvel stuff so ordinarily would give a wide berth but read great reviews. it’s damn sharp. Well, the pilot was anyway. If it disintegrates into that marvel comic book david copperfield crap then I’m out. Set in a mental hospital although you have to ignore that fact that all the nutjobs look like young well groomed hipsters and the facility itself is a groovy 70’s hepcat 2001 space odyssey deal

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That Review show is great. It was an Aussie show first but Andy Daly, who does the American version, is down right one of the funniest people on the planet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk