• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ran through Justified again'

I enjoy Elmore Leonard stuff, the crims aren't all geniuses, just evil (often dumb) f*ckers with no conscience and the occasional one with rat cunning
Me too. Still not happy about the ending. One more death please. Some of Boyd Crowder's monologues were a little annoying the second time.
If you like modern westerns Justified is right up your alley folks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Me too. Still not happy about the ending. One more death please. Some of Boyd Crowder's monologues were a little annoying the second time.
If you like modern westerns Justified is right up your alley folks.

The monologues are very "of the area", it is a very lyrical way of speech

James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux books have the same kind of rhythm, it takes a bit of getting used to

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I might give Justified a crack, I'm looking for a new show. Just finished bingeing Watchmen (late, I know). I liked that. Just the right proportions of humour + interesting bits + complete silliness :)

Thanks for the tip.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So, I did give Justified a crack.

Approved for bingeing!

How does Timmy Olyphant manage to look younger every time he's on the tellie?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Afterlife 2.
Bloody superb.
Gervais somehow can make you feel skin-crawling uncomfortable, laugh until it really hurts, and weep within minutes. I struggled with the Office at times - too much of the first for me.
I thought really well done - both writing and performances.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
What would the experts in this forum recommend for someone looking to buy their first streaming service? We haven't usually had enough time for TV but suddenly everything has changed.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
What would the experts in this forum recommend for someone looking to buy their first streaming service? We haven't usually had enough time for TV but suddenly everything has changed.

I have Netflix, Stan, and Amazon - they all work pretty well. I probably watch more Stan than Netflix but, at least for my taste, they both have a similar number of shows that I like. I watch a lot less on Amazon but it's cheap and has a few things worth a look.

I'm pretty sure that all of them have free trial periods so take advantage of that and give them all a go.

Until recently I also had Kayo. The combined cost of all of them is less than 40% of what I used to pay for Foxtel. They are all decent value on their own (except for Kayo at the moment).

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
^ I should have mentioned regarding Amazon Prime. There are a few other benefits as well as TV, you also get Amazon Music and free delivery on some stuff you can buy, etc

You can also rent/buy movies and shows on demand through Amazon and Google Play/YouTube.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Also, try out SBS On Demand. If you have any interest in European shows, then SBS has a great range. The Bridge and The Killing are two of the best and there are quality spin offs from USA and Britain.

For those who prefer their shows without subtitles, they are currently showing Reprisal and its also available to stream On Demand. Set in USA South and very much in the vein of Guy Ritchie.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, worth Binging

Utopia - some of my favourite Aus satire/comedy
Upstart Crow -Very clever, sometime too clever for it's own good (well it is written by Ben Elton) , worth persevering with

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I saw the first episode of a Scottish miniseries called Guilt on Wednesday. I wasn't sure quite what to expect from it, but by the end I was having belly laughs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also, try out SBS On Demand. If you have any interest in European shows, then SBS has a great range. The Bridge and The Killing are two of the best and there are quality spin offs from USA and Britain.

Check out The Bureau. It is a French spy show. It's acclaimed as one of the best French shows ever made. It's a slow burn but I found it incredibly gripping as the series built.

Fuck it. The Last Dance. I'm hooked. My basic bro card is in the mail. You can find me getting coffee with my stupid kids while wearing a Yankees cap and somehow managing to weave craft beer and Nas into the same sentence.

It's so good. This was the era when I really followed the NBA and although I was never a Bulls fan the whole thing is great.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Check out The Bureau. It is a French spy show. It's acclaimed as one of the best French shows ever made. It's a slow burn but I found it incredibly gripping as the series built.

Currently watching The Bureau. Ain't doing much for me at the moment, nearing the end of season 1. Admittedly it might be because the girlfriend is forcing no english subtitles so I'm probably missing half the plot. The main dude is a bit much.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Currently watching The Bureau. Ain't doing much for me at the moment, nearing the end of season 1. Admittedly it might be because the girlfriend is forcing no english subtitles so I'm probably missing half the plot. The main dude is a bit much.

It took me a while to really get into it but eventually I was hooked.

Unless your French is fluent, how are you watching it with no subtitles? It is 95% about the dialogue. Very little by way of action sequences.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

It's so good. This was the era when I really followed the NBA and although I was never a Bulls fan the whole thing is great.

Yep, watched the lot - was it 5, 6, 7 seasons?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It took me a while to really get into it but eventually I was hooked.

Unless your French is fluent, how are you watching it with no subtitles? It is 95% about the dialogue. Very little by way of action sequences.
we watch it with French subtitles which I can get by with then ask the girlfriend if I missed anything important. Very happy to hear it got you hooked, will stick it out

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Killing Eve update:

tenor.gif

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Finished the current season of Westworld. Without giving anything away, make sure you watch after the credits in Episode 8; there's about another five minutes of show. Bit like the first Episode when there was bit more after the credits. Any other Episodes the same that I might have missed? Anyone know?