• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

good tv shows i havent seen?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've started watching Vikings. It's made by the History Channel and looks pretty good. Not airing on Aust TV just yet but you can find it online.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I watched the first 5 episodes of House of Cards last night. Really enjoyed it and will probably finish the first season this weekend. Anyone with foxtel Go can watch the entire season at the moment on an ipad. Kevin Spacey is really good in my view.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I watched the first 5 episodes of House of Cards last night. Really enjoyed it and will probably finish the first season this weekend. Anyone with foxtel Go can watch the entire season at the moment on an ipad. Kevin Spacey is really good in my view.

I've got this one queued up to watch soon. I always like Kevin Spacey and have heard it's a good show so I'm looking forward to it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I've got this one queued up to watch soon. I always like Kevin Spacey and have heard it's a good show so I'm looking forward to it.
I had planned on watching one episode but got a little hooked. Could have watched the entire season in one night if I didn't have to work today.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I've watched the first three episodes now and really enjoyed it.

Good show.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
If anyone has a spare hour and half the story of the NZ national team 2008 to 2011 is on Fox Sports 3 now. Apparently its a decent show, although probably not good viewing for the Aussies here

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Only just come across this thread now, but thought I would chime in with some shows that I've encountered over the years.

Luther: British crime drama with Idris Elba from The Wire, starring as a brilliant but troubled detective solving cases. Also explores the peculiar relationship he has with a suspected killer of a case he was investigating, but he could not convict her. Must watch if you are a fan of Elba.

Parade's End: Adapted from novels that, admittedly, I've not read, about a love triangle between a conservative upper class Brit, his vindictive wife, and a young suffragette, set against the backdrop of World War I. Stars Benedict Cumberbatch, so I watched it for him primarily as well!

Rome: Before there was Game of Thrones, on HBO there was Rome; a show about Rome at the height of its reign. It is told from the point of view of the noble families vying for the throne, and the rest of society, but specifically from the pov of two men who are soldiers. Terrific British ensemble cast, as we see some of them in Game of Thrones currently, i.e. the GoT characters Edmure Tully, and Mance Rayder are played by the actors who players Brutus, and Julius Caesar respectively.

John Adams: A historical drama about the USA's journey towards becoming independent, following one of the founding fathers John Adams, played by Paul Giamatti. I'm sure some artistic liberties were taken with the depiction of history, but still interesting nonetherless. And some great performances by this group of actors and actresses. Stephen Dillane as Thomas Jefferson was especially great.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
some decent to very good comedy shows not yet mentioned:

Louie
Party Down
Episodes
Wilfred
Workaholics
Californication (comedy/drama, I dunno)

and those were mentioned before, but seriously, if you have not yet seen Arrested Development and/or Game of Thrones: watch them both.
Arrested Development is an unbelievably clever show that gets funnier the more times you rewatch it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Anyone watched the 4th season of Arrested Development yet?

It's fucking brilliant, like nothing I have ever seen before. If you're an AD fan then you need to utilise the long weekend productively!

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Thought I'd give this thread a bump.

Have just finished watching Friday Night Lights. Powered through 5 seasons in just over a week.

To put it bluntly, it's the best show I have ever watched. Or certainly the equal of the Wire and West Wing, my other two all time favourites.

I saw your post a few weeks ago and have just finished. Holy shit, what a good show. Thank you for the recommendation.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I saw your post a few weeks ago and have just finished. Holy shit, what a good show. Thank you for the recommendation.

Haha good to see I'm not alone!

I've been spreading the word to my friends as well. The trouble is all the girls think it's just about football, where all the guys think it's just about high school melodrama. So it can be a hard sell. But generally once they watch the pilot they are hooked!

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)

It's fucking brilliant, like nothing I have ever seen before. If you're an AD fan then you need to utilise the long weekend productively!

My son says it is fantastic. I might fill in the gaps between the rugby with it this weekend. Can someone prise me off the couch on Tuesday morning.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)

Yeah, apart from the first few episodes (really didn't enjoy 2 and 3 very much) it's pretty good. Doesn't quite reach the lofty heights of seasons 2 and 1, in my opinion, but still very nice.
The style of narration with the different perspectives which puts the pieces of the puzzle together episode after episode is a nice twist,and GOB and Tobias are just always great characters. Loved the "Hello darkness, my old friend" bits.
Here's hoping for a season 5!

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
1st episode of season 3 of luther came out yesterday. If you aren't watching this show give yourself an uppercut.