• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

GPS (NSW) Rowing 2014

who will win

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brownsnake

Bob McCowan (2)
Word from the Shore shed is that current 1st VIII ergs are between 6:13 and low 6:30s; big range but certainly enough to assert dominance this early on

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Word from the Shore shed is that current 1st VIII ergs are between 6:13 and low 6:30s; big range but certainly enough to assert dominance this early on
Looking good - not an unusual range - these normally come down by roughly 5 secs per rower by Feb.

brownsnake

Bob McCowan (2)
Do you know if these ergs done on CII? with or without sliders?

The standard is a C2 without sliders - if it was anything else the result wouldn't mean much for comparison's sake.

The grey area is the flywheel damper setting, some coaches will mandate a resistance, others will let it be rower's choice. The bigger boys (and probably all of the Shore VIII) would be on about 4 (DF~120) while smaller, lighter kids (down to the Yr10 VIIIs) would be on 2-3 (DF~105-115). That was my experience anyway. Regardless, damper setting shouldn't affect the score for anyone who'd been rowing for a few years.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
The standard is a C2 without sliders - if it was anything else the result wouldn't mean much for comparison's sake.

The grey area is the flywheel damper setting, some coaches will mandate a resistance, others will let it be rower's choice. The bigger boys (and probably all of the Shore VIII) would be on about 4 (DF~120) while smaller, lighter kids (down to the Yr10 VIIIs) would be on 2-3 (DF~105-115). That was my experience anyway. Regardless, damper setting shouldn't affect the score for anyone who'd been rowing for a few years.
Agree. The other factor is rating, which the coach may dictate is low. These results from Shore look like high rating outcomes.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Surely one of you has a course map for Junior Head of Parramatta River? Please??? The revamped Rowing NSW site looks very pretty but God forbid that they should ever put anything useful on there........like a COURSE MAP!!! Not asking for sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads!!!!

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Surely one of you has a course map for Junior Head of Parramatta River? Please??? The revamped Rowing NSW site looks very pretty but God forbid that they should ever put anything useful on there....like a COURSE MAP!!! Not asking for sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads!!!!

Can only presume that being 1km shorter than the Head of the Parramatta River, that it will still use the Towns Memorial finish line at Sydney RC, Abbotsford and start on the eastern side of the Concord Rd bridge.

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can only presume that being 1km shorter than the Head of the Parramatta River, that it will still use the Towns Memorial finish line at Sydney RC, Abbotsford and start on the eastern side of the Concord Rd bridge.
Thank you, that is much appreciated and I suggest you approach Rowing NSW for a permanent job.

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
Only a guess. Presumably the shorter distance is to do with the younger age and i figure with less experience they'd want to take both bridges out of the equation.

Thank you, that is much appreciated and I suggest you approach Rowing NSW for a permanent job.

I don't row for Sydney RC. Makes it tough to land a job there;)

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
Anyone know what happened with the Loreto Normanhurst Regatta yesterday? High winds or something, no crews (incl Newington and Cranbrook 8+'s) breaking the 7:30 mark
I wasn't there but could it have been smoke over the Hawkesbury-Nepean area? Not just on Saturday but for the last three weeks. Maybe it has affected the health and fitness of some crews. Lots of days lately where training would be close to impossible because of windy, smoky conditions or temperatures in high 30s.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I wasn't there but could it have been smoke over the Hawkesbury-Nepean area? Not just on Saturday but for the last three weeks. Maybe it has affected the health and fitness of some crews. Lots of days lately where training would be close to impossible because of windy, smoky conditions or temperatures in high 30s.
I was told it was the wind by a father

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
yep a BRO told me the wind was the problem. Cranbrook, Joeys, New all went under 7:30, they weren't fantastic but not so pathetic either.

brownsnake

Bob McCowan (2)
so who wants to be the first one to analyse results from head of the parramatta today?
I'll start!

Fairly typical turnout in the eights, with just three crews contesting each race. Results typical too in the 1sts, close between Grammar and Newington with Kings out the back during their annual game of 'musical chairs'...

The Grammar second eight however appears to be something godly compared with the past, one minute ahead of the competition. The margin looked pretty close between Grammar and Kings at Kissing Pt. though so maybe something up with the timing (ie margin actually only 1 second?). Just a theory. Notwithstanding, might be the first time in a few years that Grammar fronts up with a serious 2nd VIII.

Finish order in the fours all identical: Shore, Kings, Grammar, Newington. Not much to say, indicative of each program's depth I suppose. Interesting again that Grammar's ahead of New, but its early days. The absence of fourth fours from all but Kings might suggest a weaker overall year though.. Thoughts?

behindtheshed

Billy Sheehan (19)
I'll start!

Fairly typical turnout in the eights, with just three crews contesting each race. Results typical too in the 1sts, close between Grammar and Newington with Kings out the back during their annual game of 'musical chairs'.

The Grammar second eight however appears to be something godly compared with the past, one minute ahead of the competition. The margin looked pretty close between Grammar and Kings at Kissing Pt. though so maybe something up with the timing (ie margin actually only 1 second?). Just a theory. Notwithstanding, might be the first time in a few years that Grammar fronts up with a serious 2nd VIII.

Finish order in the fours all identical: Shore, Kings, Grammar, Newington. Not much to say, indicative of each program's depth I suppose. Interesting again that Grammar's ahead of New, but its early days. The absence of fourth fours from all but Kings might suggest a weaker overall year though.. Thoughts?
Plenty of foxing this early in the season. Still I feel it will be a battle to the death between Shore and Joeys by March, with one wanting to make it rain and the other wishing to prove it wasn't just the Shirlaw magic for all those years. Shore conveniently had plenty of boys rowing out of Sydney through the winter, thus technically they can claim no winter training. Plus training for a while on the Nepean so far.......the shroud of secrecy continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.