• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Graham Henry joins Pumas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/graham-henry-signs-on-with-pumas-20120308-1ul9y.html

BUENOS AIRES: World Cup-winning coach Graham Henry will return to international rugby as adviser to Argentina in its first season of competition against powerhouses New Zealand, South Africa and Australia.
The 65-year-old Henry capped a 13-year international coaching career by guiding his native New Zealand to last year's World Cup title.
He resigned shortly after and was linked to the vacant position of England head coach but said he wanted a less involved role as an adviser so he could spend time with his family.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The Argentine Rugby Union said on Wednesday that Henry would start work next month on a one-year contract that includes Argentina's debut in an expanded southern hemisphere tournament.
The Pumas, who reached the World Cup quarter-finals in New Zealand, will play South Africa, Australia and the All Blacks in what was previously the Tri-Nations. It will be called the Four Nations from this year
"It makes me very happy that Henry is joining us," Argentina coach Santiago Phelan said. "He's coming to work with us and make our play better.
Entry into the Four Nations is a major step for Argentina, where the game remains decidedly amateur. Top Argentine players mostly travel to Europe to play professionally, making it difficult to pull together national team training sessions.
Henry began coaching internationally with Wales in 1998 after being overlooked by the All Blacks despite a winning two Super rugby titles with the Auckland Blues. He improved a previously struggling Wales team and at one point guided it to 11 straight wins, leading to his appointment in 2001 as the first overseas coach of the British and Irish Lions' touring team.
New Zealand appointed him following its failure at the 2003 World Cup in Australia and stuck with him despite a narrow quarter-final loss to France at the 2007 tournament. He led New Zealand to five Tri-Nations titles, including four in a row from 2005-08.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Great news for rugby.
Thats what I thought until I remembered the warts and all documentary of the Lions tour to Aus...not sure that whatever he brings to a team translates to English, as spoken by the home countries, let alone to spanish.
But its a huge profile boost for them.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Profile boost? How can I say this politely? I disagree with you that the coach of a side who holds the Webb Ellis, Bledisloe and Freedom Cups will only bring "profile." I suspect he knows a thing or two about how to beat RSA and AUS.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
he might not translate to spanish, but that's why he has an interpreter.

this is a fantastic move by the argies. can only benefit them and their coaching set up.

tempted to try and get myself up to the Coast for this match!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think you will find he is just mentoring Argentine's rugby coaching, not actually coaching Pumas or any teams. He will be doing same in NZ still.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Profile boost? How can I say this politely? I disagree with you that the coach of a side who holds the Webb Ellis, Bledisloe and Freedom Cups will only bring "profile." I suspect he knows a thing or two about how to beat RSA and AUS.

I suspect he'll also know the best way to play the ABs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Its funny how attitudes change: this a bloke who butchered the Lions tour and was shown to be utterly unprofessional in his dealings with his team. He stuffed up the 2007 RWC and won it on home soil by the skin of his frigging teeth....all is forgiven....

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
An 85% success rate with the ABs suggests he does more than raise profile.
Agree. Not to mention he has kept his team at the top of the pile pretty much all the past 8 years, give or take a few short periods.
Knock-out comps are notoriously difficult beasts to negotiate, and the fact is the ABs were the best team in the last RWC by some margin, France's terrific effort in the final notwithstanding.
Failure with the Lions (hardly a "failure" as the Aus team of that time was pretty bloody useful) was down to many factors, and not all Henry.
Great pick-up for Argentina.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I also not sure he butchered Lions tour in 03, Lion's teams are notorious for committing suicide, they just cannot mix the played from the 4 countries.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I also not sure he butchered Lions tour in 03, Lion's teams are notorious for committing suicide, they just cannot mix the played from the 4 countries.
did you see the doco?
It was jaw dropping stuff - very personal and certainly left me thinking that the wins were down to him and the losses were the players'

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Great news for the Pumas. I'm very happy that the NZRU allowed him to do the job for Agentina and NZ.

Can't believe that anyone would think it was a mistake by the Argies. Boggles the mind.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it's a great move by Henry really protects his reputation. If Argentina lose every game, well most people expected that to happen, so no loss of face. If Argentina cause a few upset, which I think is very likely, Henry gets some of the credit. Very shrewd.

Also it gives him time to make a real impact with Argentina. If he took a the position of head coach of a national team there would be expectations of the midas touch effect that apparently all WC winning coaches have. This would be unrealistic and would ignore the fact that Henry built and rebuilt the NZ squad in order to win the WC. But it doesn't stop people expecting a coach with a WC win to their name to produce instant results.

Martin S

Frank Row (1)
A great move by the Argentine Union! I believe that Henry G can be of tremendous help for the Pumas and the Argentina Rugby Program. Pumas face a tremendous rugby calendar this year and they need to improve their attacking game! I am very excited!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.