• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Greatest Australian Sporting Achievement

Australia's Greatest Sporting Moment?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Adam Scott's Masters win this morning has sparked a bit of debate around what is Australia's greatest sporting achievement.

The three accepted nominees seem to be Cadel at the TdF, Australia II at the America's Cup and Scott at the Masters.

I would also throw in Cathy Freeman at the 2000 Olympics, which to be honest is probably #1 for me.

But Scott's achievement was extraordinary, especially considering his failure in 2011 and his meltdown at the British Open last year. I would wager that it's better than Cadel, purely because the Masters has been on the Aussie sporting radar for 50+ years whereas the TdF only really came to light in the 80s in Oz. Not sure about the America's Cup.

Anyway, have I missed any event?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
why does the 1991 or 1999 RWC not rank - not saying it should just wondering what your thinking on that is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
In terms of truly international sporting events, I don't think it quite gets there.

Each were triumphant occasions, but I think the four nominated had much greater stories, with more pressure, expectation, ups, downs, etc.

It obviously differs from person to person, though, and personal experience (the 'were were you when...' factor) will effect how you see it.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
2006/7 Ashes 5-0 whitewash of England after the disastrous 2005 Campaign.

Reasons why:
1. It was against the English.
2. It's a team sport - i.e. Not just one freakishly talented person like Ian Thorpe smashing records. Better represents the idea of an "Australian" sporting acheivement.
3. It's pretty much the only National Sport in Australia.
4. It was against the English.
5. It was redemption for losing in 2005.
6. It was against the English.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What about the 2000 Olympics?

Not an individual or team achievement on the sports field/pool/ocean/beach/arena etc but Australia and our ability to manage and deliver sport was showcased to the world on the biggest sporting stage.

The Sydney 2000 template has been copied by all subsequent host cities, with many of the Sydney 2000 team being engaged or consulted in 04, 08, and 12.

Is Golf a sport or recreational activity?

What is the criteria?
Extended world dominance
Victory in a world championship (or defacto world championship) event after a lot of attempts
A victory is a sport that is watched, supported, or played by many
Victory in an event that gains the attention of Australia, stops the nation, dominates sporting media coverage around the world

What about Walter Lindrum and Billiards (they changed the rules to try and beat him), Heather McKay and Squash (how long was she world champ), Lane Beachley and 7 (?) World champs, Phar Lap and/or Black Caviar, Jack Brabham or Alan Jones in F1 GP, Wayne Gardiner or Mick Doohan on the Bikes.

Plenty of other potential candidates.

There are some who would have us believe that it was the St George mungo team of the 60's.

The nominations are too contemporary.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I will admit I did think of Layne Beachley, but scoring in sufing is subjective. It's not the same as a stopwatch result.

The reason I went for Cadel is the fact that the TDF is something that you probably have 5-8 genuine attempts at if you are in a good enough team and then your too old. Scott can play 4 majors a year until he is 50+.

Cathy's victory was big, but without Marion competing it wasn't as big a victory as it could have been.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I picked Cadel, mainly because it was an event I really got into that year and the way he won it made it exciting till the end.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'm surprised no one has gone with Scott's effort this morning, so far. I went with Cadel though. The TdF has to be one of the hardest events in the world and the effort he put in on that final stage was truly impressive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also went with Cadel's TdF victory.

Whilst the US Masters is the pinnacle of golf and one of THE great sporting events, it is more of a monkey off Australia's sporting back that we've finally won one rather than being an incredible triumph against the odds etc.

Australia has been a strong golfing country for a long time and we've had many great golfers. It's almost a bizarre record that an Australian has won a major 16 times but this is the first time that major has been the US Masters.

D

daz

While I truly appreciate what Adam Scott achieved today, for sheer physical and mental stamina you just cannot go past Cadel Evans.

Rating sports is kinda like asking for opinions on art; everyone has a different viewpoint and taste. I am sure that winning a golf major is unbelievably difficult, but I just can't equate that to pushing your body past breaking point day in and day out for a number of weeks.

I would rate Cathy Freeman above Adam as well.

I suppose my point is that there are sportsman, then there are athlete's.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a totally different comparison though.

Many more people would have the athletic ability to become fit and strong enough to be a professional golfer. That's clearly not where the challenge lies.

Hitting a small ball large distances with such control and finesse is incredibly difficult though.

I don't think the fact that golf requires less athletic prowess makes it less of an achievement.

D

daz

I don't think the fact that golf requires less athletic prowess makes it less of an achievement.

I did say that when I rate sporting achievements, I personally tend to look at physical, mental and skill levels.

For that reason, when a snooker or darts player wins a world title, I tend to put them in a tier below the likes of Cadel, or Cathy, even though I appreciate that there is incredible control and technique needed to win a darts, snooker, or even a golf title.

As for comparison, as I said, it is all about the individual perspective.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is why Test Cricket is the greatest of sports (besides rugby). To succeed at test cricket all 12 men need to posses great mental fortitude as well as great athletic ability and stamina.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A bit of a left field sporting achievement I'd like to nominate as an incredible accomplishment that involved huge mental and physical prowess was wheelchair athlete John Maclean finishing the Hawaiian Ironman three times.

The Australian Story they did on him a few years ago was brilliant. Incredibly inspiring guy.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Australia II by a long way for me, and I technically went to school with cadel evans. First time the us had lost (despite them having almost everything in their favour). Also, when else has an aus prime minster condoned sickies, and been seen as a hero. The others a all meritable but no where near aus II for me.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Australia's Greatest Sporting Moment? Sydney Olympics

Personal Favourite? Soccerroos vs Uruguay - 2006 World Cup qualifier

sammy3191

Bob McCowan (2)
I went with Adam Scott's win yesterday, golf is such a mental sport and to comeback from his capitulation at The Open last year takes enormous mental strength & character. He showed so mucgh potential when he first came on the seen and to finally get the win it a great thing for him and for Australian golf. IMHO he'll win more majors now he has won one.

I take nothing away from any of the other sporting achievements, Cadel Evans is a legend in a sport that has a colourful past. He has proven how tough he is day after day of the Tour.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sally Pearson has put herself level with Freeman in terms of Olympic Glory and I would rate her ahead if she hadn't been DQ'd from the Comm Games 100m final that she was favourite to win.

If she goes on to Rio and medals and wins anything at the Gold Coast Comm Games she'll have to rank as our greatest track athlete of the past 50 years.

That said, for pure enjoyment factor I rate the Allan Donald run out in the 99 cricket World Cup Semi as my favourite Aussie "moment".

That and Snorky's intercept try at Homebush in 2003.

fred

Frank Row (1)
ill bet anyone $1m that in 10 years, no even 2 years, that Scott’s win won’t get anywhere near the top 10 in any lists.
Typical short term memory hype from the media and short term thinkers.
Reminds me of greatest songs of all time lists. Todays crappy pop hits make it up high in the lists when in 2 years wouldn’t make the top 10,000.
Scott’s win is fantastic, but there’s dozens of other golfing moments that are equal, let alone dozens of other sporting achievements that leave it for dead.
Couldn’t be bothered with a top 10, but greatest sportsman, Bradman by a mile.
Greatest single achievement. Cadel. Drug jokes aside, the biggest, most gruelling, fittest athletes in the world. European dominated.
Go ride a bike up the dandenongs. Then ride 3-4 times the speed on mountains 5 times a long and twice as steep, up and down, for 3000k.
Most over-rated. America’s cup. Technology 80%. Athletes 20%. Perhaps Australia’s greatest sports engineering feat. And a mostly elitist sport at that level. What a joke

Scotty

David Codey (61)
While I truly appreciate what Adam Scott achieved today, for sheer physical and mental stamina you just cannot go past Cadel Evans.

Rating sports is kinda like asking for opinions on art; everyone has a different viewpoint and taste. I am sure that winning a golf major is unbelievably difficult, but I just can't equate that to pushing your body past breaking point day in and day out for a number of weeks.

I would rate Cathy Freeman above Adam as well.

I suppose my point is that there are sportsman, then there are athlete's.

I am not sure how Freeman rates above Scott. She was the favourite and it isn't like an Australian hasn't won a track gold medal before. I find it difficult to understand why she is held above so many great Olympic athletes we have produced. People get caught up in the hype and nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.