• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hamilton 7s 2020

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussie men's team named:

1.Nick Malouf (c), University of Queensland, 36 caps
2. Joe Pincus, Easts (Sydney), 8 caps
3. Lachlan Anderson (vc), Eastwood, 23 caps
4. Jeral Skelton, Brothers, 16 caps
5. Jesse Parahi, Norths (Sydney), 46 caps
6. Dylan Pietsch, Randwick, 14 caps
7. Maurice Longbottom, Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team, 16 caps
8. Josh Turner, Manly, 2 caps
9. Lewis Holland (vc), Queanbeyan, 48 caps
10. Ben O’Donnell, Randwick, 18 caps
11. Henry Hutchison, Randwick, 27 caps
12. Lachlan Miller, Randwick, 8 caps
13th Rod Davies, 2 caps

Qantas Australian Men’s Sevens Fixtures:
Saturday 25 January
Australia v Argentina, 11.25am AEDT
Australia v Fiji, 5.35pm AEDT
Saturday 26 January
Australia v Samoa, 10.35am AEDT

WAZA

Frank Row (1)
Pool of death
Need a big bodied team for this pools physical challenges
Good Luck to our boys

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obligatory Captains pic:

IMG_0930.JPG

Forecast for Sat/Sun is hot & hotter, 29/30C which in my experience is roughly equivalent to 34/35 in BrisVegas albeit not quite as humid. Tix still available which isn't a good sign & nor is the number of my trade customers who were all over it last year & 2018 but not so much this year - lots of them planning on heading to One Love (reggae festival) across the hills in Mt Maunganui instead.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussie women fairly unimpressive in a win over Brazil. Great to see Em Cherry back and she snagged a double. Looked a little off the pace but her rugby brain is still strong. Combinations weren’t great all round and defends a little ropey. Young Madison Ashby was a bit poor unfortunately because she is a real talent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Men had a very impressive win v Argentina and looked very sharpe indeed as a unit. Longbottom the spark and playing wonderfully. Great to have BOD back too.

Women much better game two. Cherry with a sensational chase down cover tackle showed she’s back. Young Ashby very good too which is great to see her bounce back. Staples as improved so much of late and Sykes is getting back to her best form too.

Reactions: TSR

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stuck at work all day so wondering how legit was the Red that's almost certainly cost Fiji women any chance of a medal? As I posted in the 7's General Chat it's my view that doing away with QF in Hams & Sydney is a really, really, REALLY stupid idea that's bound to fuck someone's tournament(s) & hence Olympic seeding.

EDIT: I'm sure it's been mentioned on the coverage but she's a hot old day in the 'tron, up around 32C in the car park at work at 2pm-ish, work being ~2km from FMG.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It was an interesting call. Seemed a very harsh Red to me - but I guess rugby is ruled largely by the letter of the law these days so, in that respect, if she closed her fist a Red is the right call.

Fiji did very well to compete as well as they did.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't often say this, but...... GO RINGINLAND, GO YOU NON-SETHFRICKEN GOOD THINGS :)

EDIT: you fucking bewdey's! Now, who's gonna eliminate Fiji? Looking at you, Straya.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was an interesting call. Seemed a very harsh Red to me - but I guess rugby is ruled largely by the letter of the law these days so, in that respect, if she closed her fist a Red is the right call.

Fiji did very well to compete as well as they did.

Red card rescinded overnight & she's back out there v NZ so justice of sorts.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The Fijian girls lack a bit of strike power and a bit of fitness - but gee they are entertaining. Have obviously decided the best way for them to play is to replicate the men’s offloading & power game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ben O’Donnel injured, pretty serious knee injury by the looks of it.

Australia need to beat Samoa and then a Argentina upset against Fiji to make the finals now

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Australia beat Samoa, now Argentina up 12-0 against Fiji... Australia might make the finals yet

But, Fiji can easily claw back that lead in the time they have left

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Argentina up 21-0 against Fiji

If Fiji win, they top the pool go through to the finals
If Argentina beat Fiji by less then 29 points - Australia top the pool and go through to the Finals
If Argentina beat Fiji by more then 29 points - Argentina top the pool and go through to the finals /

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Argentina 26-10 against Fiji, final score

Looks like Australia have scraped through to the finals on points differential, likely to play New Zealand in the semi-finals