• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hane vs Springbokke

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Kind of fitting that they get a tighthead right in front at the death to probably seal the game.
And the 3 points is kicked.
7 point lead, 3 to play

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And scrum to Les Bleus, seconds to go, surely that's it?
And it is.
Huge win for France, and a fair result given the way they played.
Bokke will rue the scrum big time. Lineouts and breakdown work pretty good, especially Brussouw who was one of the best on field.
French pack was huge in most facets, except some scrappy lineout stuff, but that's probably expected against the best lineout around.
Now for the press conferences! ;) Wonder which Snor will show up?

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
20-13 to watch. Not a good night to be the Oom's pecan-nut tree, I suspect... :lmao:

It's not that Boks were particularly bad; Brussow was magnificent, and Snor tried everything available to him.

But the French were just up for it and smashed the living daylights out of them. Wayne Barnes gave the French nothing, and only desperate killing stopped the French getting another couple of tries. The interplay at the end was glorious, and that was as magnificent a dismantling of a scrum as I've seen in a long time. Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch.

See? Told you mauls work. :yay

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
cyclopath said:
There'll be cards soon if the Bokke keep getting pinged at the ruck / maul like this.
Thomo must be almost speechless with so many mauls in one game!!

Nearly had it tugged off myself, Cyclo; there's not a scrap of skin left on the thing... ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scary image there, Thomo!! :eek:
I thought Barnes was good. OK he may have missed 1 or 2 things, but he policed the maul well, he was right on top of the scrum, and was pretty consistent in rulings with the ball on ground - he let the tackler make a play and certainly both teams made some good pilfers with his rulings. Brussow is just superb at this.
Snor and co have some hard decisions now. The scrum has been a problem for some time now, and does not seem to be getting better, and for all his pluses as a skipper and other facets of play, Smit has to be a good tighthead first and foremost, and just isn't at the moment.
France could be a real thorn in everyone's side in the 6N if they can come out that enthusiastic and purposeful each week.
Brutality and Beauty - the French way.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Barnes wasn't bad, I'd agree; but I thought there were a few cards he should have given that he didn't.

Habana should be having a word with the citing committee. That knee was just stupid and dirty; I don't care if it was half-hearted, there's no call for that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, there was no force in it, but it was pretty ordinary.
I wonder if Bismarck will get a call up - that charge on Heymans was late, and although he looked like he pulled out of it, he actually dropped the shoulder in as he withdrew his arms. Heymans tried to milk it, and bounced up as soon as he realised he was getting no love from Barnes or the Ass ref.

S

Spook

I thought the Boks were terrible other than Brussow. Drop ball, poor kicking..played with no precision. Habana, Burger, and Kankow were well off their best.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Piss poor all round from the Boks and they look tired.

Scrum went very well I thought until we were down to 7. The French celebrations after getting a tighthead against seven men was a bit over the top and quite hilarious actually. Took them 77 minutes to get on top. I thought the Boks scrum was great for 60 minuted and we won a legitamate TH and after all the talk of how the strong French scrum was goign to pound us I was quite happy.

Beast needs rest. Du Plessis needs rest. Matfield needs rest. du Preez looked knackered.

Kankowski should never start a test again and nor should Adi. They lost go forward ball seven times between them, maybe more. Not up to this level. The French double teamed them and they didn't have the skill to keep the ball.

Disappointed with Steyn's trip. He is a better man than that. Ultimately cost us the game.

Ineffective play from the Boks and with only 14 for 60 minutes not a bad result. Game swung French way when Burger went off.

French lacked finishing and the other 6N teams will hardly be quaking in their boots.

I honestly don't know how the Boks are going to muster the energy for two more test. They look out for the count.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thomond78 said:
Barnes wasn't bad, I'd agree; but I thought there were a few cards he should have given that he didn't.

Habana should be having a word with the citing committee. That knee was just stupid and dirty; I don't care if it was half-hearted, there's no call for that.

Barnes let the French get away with sealing off the ball ala NZ.

But we dealt with NZ this year doing it and only have ourselves to blame.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Still hurting and disappointed. The French deserve a well hard fight victory but I just knew when they lined up a vokken dagga smoking takhaar Rasta to sing our proud anthem its going to be a nightmare day in the office. Hell I cant believe some of the boere in Toulouse havent lined him up with a mauser.

For me the turning point sort of come the moment Schalk left and I knew Brussouw wont do it on his own. Bakkies fight brave but this was the French day and they did it. Thought Barnes was great as a ref, maybe the yellows a tit hard but love the way he left the rucks going in a hard fight battle. Thats the way to ref it.

Kankowski was shown up badly and sure this will open up Ashley Johnson to slot in 8. Also though CJ van der Linde scrumming we need from the start, the first time a bit of agression there.

Now we only need to kick the Iere arses and all will be forgiven!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah the Boks looked tired. But it's hard to perform at the high level they have been at for so long and especially against France when they show up to play, and especially when you play them down south.

Was still a bit surprised at how rattled the Boks looked.

There was some silly report during the week that Brussouw would be rested for this game, but it's just as well he wasn't. Poor old Kankowski had a shocker but he's going to get a few of them in his career and the important thing will be how he deals with it.

France were terrific and playing two number 8s, Picamoles and Harinordoquy worked a treated and Dusautoir (my MOTM) was all over the park. Schalk was OK too but he looks like he's got a bad rib injury.

After his stellar year Morne Steyn fell down to cruel reality but he will have to deal with that too. I thought his card was deserved.

I was impressed by ref Barnes as I have been a few times this season. I can't remember a game when I called penalties and the referee whistled, so often. Of course, the only time you can do this if you are neutral. Barnes missed a few things and I had to laugh at one of them - or, it was probably the touchie.

Harinordoquy was penalised for shoulder charging somebody off the ball. He got a lecture for his trouble. But on the replay you see that Bakkies had shoved Harinordoquy into the Bok player. Geez, Bakkies must have been a shocker as a kid.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
Geez, Bakkies must have been a shocker as a kid.
Oom Lee write a letter via Gagger and ask the big man himself. Pretty sure you got it wrong. I found plenty of tough rugby players being sussies when they walk off the field, its that smell of grass that bring out the best of a Springbok.

Status
Not open for further replies.