• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wrote this guide a while back and I was going to post it on here a few weeks ago, but the Nevin Spence thing kinda dampened my enthusiasm for Rugby and I kept putting it off. Well the Heineken Cup gets underway today so here it is. I tried to update as much as I could but someone of the information may be a month or so out of date.

This year was my first year that I actually truly followed Super Rugby rather than just dip in and watch a game or two each weekend it was on. I found the information posted on G&G very helpful in getting to know a little about the history of players and teams that I wasn’t overly familiar with. So in a hands across the equator move I would like to reciprocate in a small way and present this guide to the 2013 Heineken European Cup. Hopefully even 1 person from Aus who decides to follow this year’s HEC finds it useful.

You will probably find better guides out there in the vast internet but this one provides 1 big advantage. It’s right here on G&G so you don’t have to do too much leg work.

Let me get the disclaimers out of the way now. Firstly I’m dyslexic so I apologies for any spelling mistakes or sentences that simply don’t make any sense. I’ll try to self edit and keep that to a minimum. Secondly any factual errors are my own and I apologise wholeheartedly for them and will correct them once pointed out to me. Finally any opinions expressed are also my own and I will not under any circumstances apolgise for those, well maybe under the threat of legal action.

I’ve tried to provide an even amount of information on each team. But for some teams like Zebre or some of the French teams my knowledge is not as in depth as for the Pro12 or Aviva Premiership sides. While this is not a guide for the likes of Lee Grant, Qwerty, Nusadan, Sudrugby, Dai Bando, Kronic etc. I would welcome any contribution from these guys to add interesting facts or to highlight up and coming players I may not know about.

Now onwards to the guide itself:

Heineken European Cup 2013
The Heineken Cup is the top European Club competition contested each year by the best teams from England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales.
Qualification

Unlike Super Rugby the 24 teams in the Heineken Cup are not ring fenced, although the spots for the Pro12 teams may as well be. Instead qualification for this year’s competition is based on performance in last season’s domestic and European competitions. Qualifying for one of the 24 places is possible by achieving one of the following in the previous season:

6 places go to the first 6 finishers in the French Top 14 League.
6 Places go to the first 6 Finishers in the English Aviva Premiership.
3 Places go to the Top 3 Irish teams in the Pro12.
3 Places go to the Top 3 Welsh teams in the Pro12.
2 Places go to the Top 2 Scottish teams in the Pro12.
2 Places go to the Top 2 Italian teams in the Pro12.
1 additional place goes to the country of the winner of the Heineken Cup.*
1 Additional place goes to the country of the winner of the Amlin Challenge Cup.*

· * France and England are restricted to a maximum of 7 places in the Heineken Cup. In the event that the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup are both won by French teams or both won by English teams. Then one additional place is given to the next ranked nation according to ERCs rankings.
When I do the team by team guide I will include how each team qualified.

The Format

The competition consists of 24 teams split across 6 pools of 4 teams. During the pool stages each team plays the other 3 teams in their pool home and away for a total for 6 games played per team.
Scoring is similar to Super Rugby with 4 points for a win, 2 for a draw, 1 BP for 4 or more tries in one game and 1 BP for a losing by 7 points or less.

At the end of the Pool stages the 6 pool winners and the best 2 runners up qualify for the Quarter Finals. These 8 teams are ranked on their performance in the pool stages (similar to the overall log in Super Rugby) and this determines the match ups for the Quarter Finals.

In the event of two teams being equal on points after the pool stages their relative placing is determined as follows:

If the 2 teams were in the same pool then it goes on the result of the two head to matches with ranking determined on this sliding scale Match Points > Tries Scored > Aggregate Points Difference.

If the 2 teams are from different pools the ranking is determined by their pool performance on a sliding scale is as follows: Tries Scored > Aggregate Points Scored > Fewest Red Cards/Suspensions > Toss of a Coin.

In the Quarter Finals the match ups are as follows:

Seed 1 v Seed 8
Seed 2 v Seed 7
Seed 3 v Seed 6
Seed 4 v Seed 5

Seed 1 through 4 have home country advantage.

The Semi Final line up is determined by a draw that takes place prior the Quarter Final games being played.

The Final is in a venue determined before the start of the competition, the venue changes each year. In 2013 the Final will be played in Dublin at the Aviva Stadium (Landsdowne Road to purists). 2013 will be the first year that both the Amlin Challenge Cup and Heineken European Cup will be hosted in the same city. The Amlin Challenge Cup Final will take place at the RDS (Leinster’s home ground) the day before the Heineken European Cup Final.

The Pools

Pool 1:Edinburgh, Munster, Racing Metro 92, Saracens
Pool 2: Benneton Treviso, Leicester Tigers, Ospreys, Toulouse
Pool 3:Biarritz, Connacht, Harlequins, Zebre
Pool 4:Castres Olympique, Glasgow Warriors, Northampton Saints, Ulster
Pool 5:Clermont Auvergne, Exeter Chiefs, Leinster, Scarlets
Pool 6:Cardiff Blues, Montpellier, Sale Sharks, Toulon

Match Dates

Amlin Challenge Cup and Heineken European Cup games will be played on the following dates:

Round 1 – 11/12/13/14 October 2012
Round 2 – 18/19/20/21 October 2012
Round 3 – 6/7/8/9 December 2012
Round 4 – 13/14/15/16 December 2012
Round 5 – 10/11/12/13 January 2013
Round 6 – 17/18/19/20 January 2013
Quarter-finals – 4/5/6/7 April 2013
Semi-finals – 26/27/28 April 2013
Finals – 17/18/19 May 2013

Where to watch

The following broadcasters have rights to show Heineken European Cup games live:

Europe

UK & Ireland Sky Sports
France France Television 2 & 4 and Canal+
Italy Sky Sports Italia

Oceania - Latin America

Australia, Argentina ESPN/Setanta
New Zealand Sky TV- Rugby Channel /ESPN
Fiji, Tonga Eurosport Asia

Europe - North America

Spain TVE
Greece Netmed
PolandPolsat
Czech Rep, Hungary, Slovakia Sport 1
USA Setanta

Africa, Maghreb, Middle East

South Africa Supersport
Other African Countries Canal Plus, Supersport

Team Guide

Edinburgh Rugby

Edinburgh are generally considered pool stages also-rans. Only once prior to last season did they make it out of their pool. However last year they won their pool which included Cardiff Blues, Racing Metro & London Irish. They then went on to cause a huge upset by dumping out the Kings of Europe Toulouse in the Quarter Final. They then fell to Ulster in the Semi Finals in a hard fought game.
It will be interesting to see if they can back up again this year or if it was just a flash in the pan. How they cope with the loss of, Scottish international scrum half, Mike Blair to Brive and the retirement of Chris Patterson will go a long way in determining that. Also the fact that they’re in one of this year’s toughest pools won’t help their chances either.

Betting Odds: 100/1
Home Ground: Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
League:RaboDirect Pro12
2012 League Position: 11th
Qualification: Technically they finished as one of the top 2 Scottish teams in the Pro12 and thus qualified. In reality there are currently only 2 Scottish teams in the Pro12 so they qualified automatically.
2012 Heineken Cup: Semi Final
HEC Best Performance: Semi Final 2012
Pool: 1
Coach: Michael Bradley

Key Players: Hooker Ross Ford, prop Allan Jacobsen and captain Greig Laidlaw will be expected to provide the leadership on the field. All eyes will be on David Denton to see how he goes this year after such an impressive season last year. Nick De Luca provides much needed experience in a relatively young backline.

New Players*: Dutch winger Tim Visser, now Scottish qualified, may be a new name to some SH fans. He missed playing against Australia by a week or so on residency qualification but played in the rest of Scotland’s summer tour. He scored 2 tries against Fiji on his Scotland debut. He was last year’s Pro12 top try scorer with 14. His younger brother Sep is also in the squad. Prop John Yapp has been signed from Cardiff Blues. Tom Brown had a breakthrough year last season with Scotland and is one to watch this year.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Prop WP Nel and Lock Izak van der Westhuizen have both signed from the Cheetahs for the coming season. Former Blues & Highlanders back Ben Atiga has been signed from Otago. Fijian international back row Netani Talei has been at the club for a couple of years now.

· This refers both to players who are new to the team (new signings) and players who may already be at the club but could make their Heineken Cup debut or play a more pronounced role in the 2013 HEC.
Munster Rugby

Munster are 2 times winners, 4 times finalists and one of European Rugby’s power houses. Year in year out they make it to at least the Quarter Final, with 2011 being the lone exception in the past 14 seasons. Their years of success came from having one of the strongest packs in club Rugby. Currently they are in a rebuilding phase after a number of retirements.

They’ve looked a little more vulnerable in the past 2 seasons but still managed to win all 6 pool games in a pool that included Northampton Saints (2011 Finalists), Scarlets and Catres. Twice they won games with drop goals after 80 minutes with one being won after holding onto the ball for 41 phases. They fell to Ulster in the Quarter Final.

They may not be the Munster of old but they’re still a pretty good team with some very promising youngsters coming through. Also Munster are probably the best supported club team in the world. The number of fans they take to away games across Europe is staggering.

Betting Odds: 11/1
Home Ground: Thomond Park, Limerick
2012 League Position: 3rd, Semi Final
Qualification: Finished in the top 3 Irish teams in the Pro12.
2012 Heineken Cup: Quarter Finals
HEC Best Performance: Winners 2006, 2008
Coach: Rob Penney, Anthony Foley (assistant)

Key Players: Captain Paul O’Connell, who was injured last season, returns and will be at the heart of everything Munster if he can remain injury free. This will be a big year for scrum half Conor Murray who’s development stalled a little last year. Ronan O’Gara as ever will be expected to provide guidance and control from fly half. Centre Keith Earls will provide some of the spark in the backline. A lot will be expected of lock Donnacha Ryan, back row Peter O’Mahony and wing Simon Zebo after their breakthroughs last year.

New Players*: Centre James Downey returns to Munster after an impressive few years at Northampton Saints. Another Centre, Casey Lualala, who scored the winning try for the Crusaders in a Super Rugby final, has been signed from Cardiff Blues. Back-rower CJ Stander has been signed from the Bulls.

Fly half Ian Keatley may play a larger role if Munster decide it’s time to bed in Ronan O’Gara’s replacement. It’s not beyond the realms of possibilities to see JJ Hanrahan, who was a standout player in the recent Junior World Cup, get a couple of run ons. However there is still life left in the old dog and don’t expect ROG just to step aside.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Doug Howlett’s injury last year paved the way for the emergence of Simon Zebo. Doug should be back firing fit next season and ready to challenge for his place back. He’s still as good a finisher as he ever was. South African props BJ Botha and Wian de Preez have been at Munster for a couple of seasons.
Racing Metro 92

I hope Sudrugby will forgive me for describing his team as the other team from Paris. After a period outside the Top14 they’ve been back with a bang over the last few seasons. This year is the 3rd in a row they’ve qualified for the Heineken Cup and they did so by piping city rivals Stade Francais to 6th place in the Top14.

Have never advanced beyond the pool stages but they’ve given some of Europe’s best sides some tough matches in the last 2 years. If Munster and Saracens take points off each other they are certainly capable of causing an upset.

Betting Odds: 66/1
Home Ground: Stade Yves-du-Manoir, Colombes
League:French Top14
2012 League Position: 6th, lost in play-off
Qualification: Finished in the top 6 of the French Top14.
2012 Heineken Cup: Pool Stages
HEC Best Performance: Pool Stages
Coach: Pierre Berbizier

Key Players: Captain Lionel Nallet has been with the club since their promotion back to the Top14 and has played a major part in their success since then. He forms a very experience locking partnership with Santiago Dellape. Flyhalf and former World Player of the Year nominee Juan Martin Hernandez will be another familiar name. Italian wing Mirco Burgamasco will be familiar to most. Another Italian Andrea Lo Cicero provides some grunt in the scrum.

New Players*: Hernandez’s lesser known international colleague Juan Jose Imhoff will be someone to watch out for on the wing. Former Fijian international back row Masi Matadigo has signed for the coming season as have Frenchmen Mathieu Belie (scrum/flyhalf) and Luc Ducalcon (prop). England International fly-half Ollie Barkley was signed from Bath.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Former Fijian international wing Sireli Bobo is still a dangerous customer to deal with. South Africans Francois van de Merve (Lock), Bernard La Roux (Back row) and former Bulls Jacques Cronje are all at the club. Another Bok Francois Steyn was with Racing before he returned to SA with the Sharks this year.
Saracens

Saracens set a new world record club attendance for their Aviva Premiership top of the table clash against Harlequins last year. The way they go about the business and revenue generation side of the game may well be a blue print to the future for many clubs. Last year they tried to move one of their Heineken Cup pool games to South Africa and only failed because of a dispute about which ground would host it. Don’t be surprised if they succeed in moving one of their home pool games this year.

Last season they won their pool which included Biarritz, Osprey and Aironi who have since been replaced by Zebre in both the HEC and Pro12. A lot of the talk before their Quarter Final with Clermont was about holding a very lucrative potential Semi Final against Leinster at Wembley. In the end Clermont ran out easy winners beating them 22-3 on their home ground. However there’s no doubt that Saracens are a coming power in European Rugby.

Betting Odds: 16/1
Home Ground: Vicarage road, Watford
League:English Aviva Premiership
2012 League Position: 3rd, lost in Semi Finals
Qualification: Finished in the top 6 of the English Aviva Premiership.
HEC Best Performance: Semi Final 2008
Coach: Mark McCall

Key Players: With a host of former Boks and current England internationals it’s hard to single out just a few players as being key to Saracens. Players like John Smit, Schalk Britz, Steve Borthwick, Mouritz Boutha, Kelly Brown, Neil de Kock, David Strettle and Chris Ashton mean they have a very impressive team. However how the younger generation of scrum half Richard Wigglesworth, fly half Owen Farrell, centre Brad Barritt and full back Alex Goode handle the big games will determine how much they progress in this years competition.

New Players*: Chris Ashton, yes the same Chris Ashton who won the “Player you would most like to punch” poll on GAGR, has signed for Saracens for this season. There are bound to be a few flair ups during the pool games with him around. Flanker Nick Fenton-Wells from the Stormers and lock Alistair Hargreaves have joined the already large South African contingent at Vicarage road.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Some of the notable South African names at the club include Schalk Brits, John Smit, Earnst Joubert and Neil de Kock. Former Crusaders and NZ Maori Joe Maddock is also at Saracens.
Benetton Treviso

In recent years getting an Italian side in your pool made people think that it would be an easy ride and 2 teams would qualify from that pool. Although they finished bottom of their pool last year they still managed to get a draw against the Ospreys and stunned Biarritz by beating them 30-26. A defeat that ultimately cost Biarritz a Quarter Final place.

They have improved immensely since their inclusion in the Pro12 2 years ago. They are still a long way off challenging for top spot in a pool but I wouldn’t bet against them causing an upset or two this year.

Betting Odds: 1000/1
Home Ground: Stadio Comunale di Monigo, Treviso
2012 League Position: 10th
Qualification: One of 2 Italian teams chosen to play in both the Pro12 and Heineken Cup
Pool: 2
Coach: Franco Smith

Key Players: Unsurprisingly the heart of this Treviso team is their Italian internationals. From Ghiraldini, Cittadini, Favaro and Zanni in the pack to Burton and McLean in the backs there are plenty of experienced internationals in the team.

New Players*: Italian international wing Giulio Toniolatti has been signed from Aironi. Tongan born Japanese international centre Christian Loamanu joins from Toulon.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Among the new players recruited this year were Australian James Ambrosini from Queensland A and South Africans Doppies La Grange from the Lions & Jacobus Roux from French youth team Bordeaux-Begles. On top of the Italian qualified players born in Australia the club has a lot of players with Southern Hemisphere roots.
Leicester Tigers

Leicester are among a very exclusive group who have won the Heineken Cup on 2 or more occasions. They also have an ability to raise their performance for big European games even when they are struggling domestically. They also often start to hit form at the end of the season making them a dangerous opponent to meet in the knock out stages of the HEC.

Last year they finished 3rd in a very tight pool behind Clermont and eventual finalists Ulster. A crushing 41-7 defeat to Ulster in the Round 5 ended any chance they had of progressing from the pool.

Leicester struggled with injuries through most of last season but their form picked up after their HEC exit and they managed to reach the Aviva Premiership Final. There end of season performances suggest they will be a tough prospect for the other teams in pool 2. It will be interesting to see how the cope with the loss of experienced trio Julian White, Jeremy Staunton & Alesana Tuilagi.

Home Ground: Welford road, Leicester
2012 League Position: 2nd, Losing Finalists
Qualification: Finished in the top 6 of the English Aviva Premiership
HEC Best Performance: Winners 2001 & 2002
Coach: Richard Cockerill

Key Players: Captain Geordan Murphy is an integral part of the team. He is one of those players who’s International career never quite hit the heights of his club performances. Leicester will be hoping that Tom Croft can rediscover the form that saw him become a stand out performer for the Lions 4 years ago. With some senior players moving on lock Louis Deacon will provide leadership in the pack. Martin Castrogiovanni didn’t have his best year last season and Tigers fans will hope it was a blip rather than the beginning of the end for propping legend. Manu Tuilagi’s barn storming runs will be a big feature of Leicester’s attacking play.

New Players*: Fijian wing Vereniki Goneva is the most notable signing for the new season. He will be expected to provide the same threat out wide as the departing Alesana Tuilagi.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Former Tahs versatile forward Steve Mafi, Canberra native Julian Salvi and New Zealand trio Craig Newby, Daniel Bowden & Scott Hamilton are some of the players that may be familiar.
Ospreys

Often the performance of the Ospreys players in big games leaves fans scratching their heads. How such a star studded team fails to produce on the big stage can sometimes be baffling. Winning last year’s Pro12 final away to hot favourites and Heineken Cup holders Leinster may be a sign that the team are ready to deliver on the big stage.

Last season they failed to progress further than the pool stages in a disappointing European campaign. This included a shock draw against lowly Italian side Benetton Treviso. They cannot afford a repeat of that this year after a quirk of fate sees them again drawn in the same pool. With 2 true giants of the Northern Hemisphere game in Leicester and Toulouse their new found resolve will be tested to its fullest.

How will cope with the huge exodus in the offseason that included Welsh legend Shane Williams, Irish wing Tommy Bowe, Welsh internationals Huw Bennett, Barry Davies, Paul James, Sonny Parker & Gareth Owen along with Scotland International Nikki Walker? Even with these players missing there is still a number of the Welsh Grand Slam winning side there and the departures may provide opportunities for another group of young Welsh starlet to emerge.

Betting Odds: 22/1
Home Ground: Liberty Stadium, Swansea
League:RoboDirect Pro12
2012 League Position: 2nd, Champions
Qualification: Finished in the top 3 Welsh teams in the Pro12
HEC Best Performance: Quarter Finals 2008,2009, 2010
Coach: Steve Tandy

Key Players: The pack is full of season Welsh internationals including Adam Jones, Duncan Jones, Ian Evans, Alun Wyn Jones & Ryan Jones. In the backs there are question marks about the attitude of Flyhalf Dan Biggar but he possesses undoubted talent.

New Players*: Although not new at the Ospreys centre pairing Ashley Beck and Andrew Bishop will be expected to take on more responsibility in the coming campaign. Justin Tipuric has been making a name for himself in NH rugby he may be a new name to some in the SH but that won’t last for long if he continues developing at the same pace.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Samoans George Stowers and Kahn Fotuali’I (formerly of the Crusaders) are the big name South Hemisphere players at the club.

Toulouse

The Kings of Europe, 4 times winners of the Heineken European Cup, more than any other team. This is definitely one name you don’t want to see coming out of the hat for your pool. They’ve only failed to reach the Quarter Finals 3 times in 17 years. On top of that they are current French Champions.
Last year they stumbled a little in the pool stages before eventual topping the table ahead of subsequent English champions Harlequins, Gloucester and Connacht before suffering a shock Quarter Final defeat to Edinburgh.

Toulouse rarely have 2 poor Heineken Cup campaigns in a row and the fact that reaching the Quarter Finals can be considered a poor year says a lot about their European pedigree. Expect them to be back to their best this year and a very hard team to beat. If anyone is going to knock Leinster off their perch Toulouse have the equipment and experience to do it.

Betting Odds: 5/1
Home Ground: Stade Ernest-Wallon, Toulouse
2012 League Position: 2nd, Champions
Qualification: Finished in the top 6 of the French Top14
HEC Best Performance: Winners 1996, 2003, 2005 & 2010
Coach: Guy Noves

Key Players: 2011 IRB World Player of the Year Thierry Dusautoir captains the side. There isn’t much I can say about how good this guy is that hasn’t already been said. Wing Vincent Clerc is the top try scorer in Heineken Cup history with 32 and will be looking to add to that tally this year. Other notable players in this star studded squad include prop Jean Baptiste Poux, back row Yannick Nyanga, fly half Lionel Beauxis and full backs Maxime Medard & Clement Poitrenaud.

New Players*: Up and coming French wing/full back Yoann Huget has been signed from Bayonne and will be itching to make an impact in his Heineken Cup debut season.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: The squad includes former Bulls and Sharks hooker Gary Botha, Samoan prop Census Johnston, Argentinian Internationals Patricio Albacete & Nicolas Vergallo, former Brumbies & ‘Tahs scrum half Luke Burgess and former Blues and All Black Luke McAllister.

Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque

Along with Toulouse, Biarritz are one of the few French clubs that really bought into the idea of the Heineken European Cup early. Attitudes are slowly changing with more French teams chasing European glory rather than seeing it as a distraction to the more important business of the Top14. They are also very proud of their Basque identity.

They’ve been runners up twice including a very memorable final defeat to a very strong Munster team. They again made the finals 2 years ago and suffered another close defeat to French rivals Toulouse.
Last year they failed to progress from their pool that included Saracens, Ospreys and Benetton Treviso. Their shock defeat to Treviso effectively ended their hopes of making the Quarter Final. Ironically it put them on the path to their first piece of European silverware.

Having finished second in their pool and among the 3rd to 5th rank second place finishers they earned a spot in the Amlin Challenge Cup knock out stages. They went on to beat fellow French team Stade Francis in the final.

Betting Odds: 14/1
Home Ground: Parc des Sports Aguilera, Biarritz
2012 League Position: 9th
Qualification: Won the Amlin Challenge Cup
HEC Best Performance: Runners up 2006 & 2010
Pool: 3
Coach: Patrice Lagisquet

Key Players: The team is led by the iconic Imanol Harinordoquy and their play centres around the work done by a pack which includes English international Magnus Lund. This is not to say they lack quality in their backline. French internationals Dimitri Yachvili, Benoit Baby & Damien Traille will be important when they decide to move the ball as will the electric Takudzwa Ngwenya who famously outpaced Bryan Habana to score a try in the 2007 RWC for the USA.

New Players*: Welsh wing Aled Brew has been signed from Newport Gwent Dragons and will look to make an impact in his first year at the club.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: The squad has a real international flavour to it withArgentinians Eusebio Guinazu and Marcelo Bosch, former Stormers prop Wicus Blaauw, Samoan Pelu Taele, former Highlanders and Crusaders fly half Matt Berquist and Australian full back Dane Haylett-Petty just a few of the players who hail from below the equator.
Connacht Rugby

Connacht are the fourth provincial team in Irish Rugby. For many years they have had a status of a development side. In reality they were former internationals and youngsters who didn’t make it at the other 3 provinces were sent to play there Rugby.

There has been a shift in attitude over the last few years which has coincided with an improvement in performances and results. There is still a long way to go before they are genuinely competitive on a regular basis at the top end but they are moving in the right direction. An exemption from new rules limiting the number of foreign players at Irish provinces should give them a leg up. Realistically they are many years away from being in contention to win a pool but they are still a potential banana skin for the more fancied teams.

Last year they found a pool that included Toulouse, Harlequins and Gloucester very tough going in their debut season in the Heineken Cup. They did however manage to record their first victory against Harlequins who would later go on to secure the English Aviva Premiership title.

Betting Odds: 500/1
Home Ground: Galway Sportsgrounds, Galway
2012 League Position: 8th
Qualification: Additional place for Irish team due to Leinster winning the Heineken Cup
Coach: Eric Elwood

Key Players: Captain John Muldoon and lock Mike McCarthy provide much needed experience in the pack along with Johnny O’Connor who earned the nickname Johnny O’Concrete for his no nonsense tackling while at Wasps. Irish full back Gavin Duffy and Tongan wing Fetu’u Vainikolo are the most experienced backs. The addition of Scottish International fly half Dan Parks should bolster the back division.

New Players*: Wing Danie Poolman has been signed from the Stormers, which experienced Scottish international Dan Parks has been drafted in from the Cardiff Blues. Young Irish wing Tiernan O’Halloran is one to watch out for.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Poolman joins fellow South African Ethienne Reymecke and New Zealand trio Rodney Ah You (prop), George Naoupu (back row) and Miah Nikora (fly half). The most recognisable player in the squad is probably former Highlanders wing Fetu’u Vainikolo.
Harlequins

Winning last season’s Aviva Premiership title is a testament to the huge transformation Quins have gone through in the three years since Bloodgate. Not only did they top the table in the regular season but they also won the final against Leicester who were the form team in England going into the final.

Two seasons ago Quins also won the Amlin Challenge Cup, their 3rd time to win Europe’s 2nd tier competition. Last season they finished second to Toulouse in their pool. A shock defeat to Connacht in the final round of pool games cost them a Quarter Final spot. On the same night Toulouse lost to Glasgow but Quins defeat with a losing bonus point still meant that Toulouse took the pool by a single point.

This year as English Champions expectations will be high and all of Europe will wonder if they can perform at the top table. Again Fate has been particularly cruel in drawing Quins in the same pool as Connacht again this year. They will be looking for revenge rather than a repeat of last year in a pool that looks like a straight shootout between themselves and Biarritz.

Betting Odds: 10/1
Home Ground: Twickenham Stoop, London
2012 League Position: 1st, Winners
HEC Best Performance: Quarter Finals 1997, 1998, 2009
Coach: Conor O’Shea

Key Players: England Captain Chris Robshaw is an integral part of the pack that also includes his International team mate Nick Easter. Nick Evans is an essential part of their backline and really makes them tick. Bad boy Danny Care can turn a game for them when he’s focused on his rugby. The squad also includes England wing Ugo Moyne.

New Players*: For those who didn’t watch the SA v England summer test series prop Joe Marler will be a new name. The good news is he won’t be hard to spot with his distinctive hairstyle. Jordan Turner-Hall and Mike Brown will be expected to play larger roles this year following their representative honours for England.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Former All Black Nick Evans is the big name in this category. Samoan Rugby League convert Maurie Fa’asavalu plays flanker. In addition there are 3 English qualified New Zealand born players, namely Tim Fairbrother (prop), Nick Mayhew (prop) and Ben Botica (fly half).
Zebre

Zebre are new entrants in this year’s Heineken Cup and Pro12. They replace Aironi who were stripped of their franchise by the Italian Rugby Federation. Although little is known about the new team as they have yet to play wither a Pro12 or a HEC game. The majority of their squad have been signed from the defunct Aironi.

In their first season any good performance against the 2 big guns in the group will be seen as a success. With Irish side Connacht in the pool a first victory in their debut season isn’t beyond the realms of possibility.

Betting Odds: 2000/1
Home Ground: XXV Aprile Stadium, Parma
2012 League Position: N/A
Qualification: One of 2 Italian teams chosen to play in both the Pro12 and Heineken Cup.
2012 Heineken Cup: N/A
HEC Best Performance: N/A
Coach: Roberto Manghi

Key Players: In their first season they will be heavily reliant on their Italian Internationals especially Matias Aguero, Salvatore Perugini, Marco Bortolami, Luciano Orquera and Matteo Prathetti. USA international prop Dave Ryan also brings some added experience to this new outfit.

New Players*: With the unconfirmed nature of their squad this season is probably too early to pick out new players who will shine. Technically their entire squad is new to the team.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Argentinian prop Luciano Leibson and South African back row Dries van Schalkwyk are joined by recent signing Daniel Halangahu from the Waratahs.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Castres Olympique

Although Castres are still regarded as one of the weaker French teams in this year’s HEC they are still dangerous in one off games as they proved last year when their sole victory was a 41-22 bonus point effort against the previous year’s finalists Northampton. For a third time this year the draw has seen fit to pair a team with their shock conquerors from last year as Saints are also drawn in pool 4.

If they can get a good start this year they may have designs beyond being pool also rans. Neither Glasgow Warriors or even last year’s finalists Ulster will hold any fears for them. As for Northampton they will be hoping for a repeat of their home result from last year but a huge improvement on their away performance where they lost 45-0.

Such disparity in results is often put down to the old adage of French teams not traveling well. However teams like Biarritz and especially Toulouse have shown that this doesn’t have to be true. Castres 45-0 loss came 1 week after they had beaten them at home and the change in fortunes owned much to the decision for a number of their stars not to travel for the return fixture.

Castres showed in their other home fixtures that they are competitive at this level coming within 3 points of both Scarlets and Munster. If they selected their strongest squad both home and away there is a real chance to progress. However if they maintain a policy of resting their stars for away fixtures then their final pool position will be all too familiar.

Home Ground: Stade Piere-Antoine, Castres
League: French Top14
2012 League Position: 5th
HEC Best Performance: Semi Finals 2002
Pool: 4
Coach: Laurent Labit/Laurent Travers

Key Players: Scottish duo Scott Murray (lock) and Max Evans (centre) are two of the stars of the team. Full back Romain Teulet is another to keep your eye on. If previous years selection policy continues you many only see these players at Stade Piere-Antoine.

New Players*: Former Bulls back row Pedrie Wannenburg joins from last year’s beaten finalists Ulster.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Former Sharks scrum half Rory Kockott is another South African at the club along with his countrymen Michael Coetzee (prop) and Jannie Bornman. Samoan International No. 8 Joe Tekori, Uruguayan lock Rodrigo Capo Ortega and NZ propping pair Saimone Taumoepeau (formerly of the Blues) and Karena Wihongi ensure the SH are well represented in the pack.
Glasgow Warriors

Glasgow didn’t managed to progress beyond the pool stages last year. But finishing 2nd to Leinster in the pool was a good result for them. Couple this with their strong 4th place finish in last year’s Pro12 and there is reason for optimism at the Warriors.

Last year they did well in tight games against Bath and Montpellier, with a record of 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat. It was their record against pool winners Leinster that halted their progress. Leinster comfortably beat them in round 2 in Dublin. But in round 5 with 17 minutes to go it was 16-16. Glasgow still had a chance to qualify from their pool for the first time in their history, a win would keep that dream alive. Unfortunately for them it was Leinster who produced the winning try to seal the victory and along with it their passage to the knock-out stages.

A good start to their Heineken Cup 2013 campaign is vital for Glasgow. They managed that last year with a win over bath at home. Northampton away is a much tougher prospect for them. But if they are serious about their desire to progress many will feel they need to get something from this game, a losing bonus at the least.

The performance is also very important. If the Glasgow payers can prove to themselves that they can compete against Northampton’s stars in the Saints own backyard it will breathe confidence throughout the squad for their other pool games.

After a poor start to their Pro12 campaign losing to the Scarlets and their Pool 4 opponents Ulster they bounced back with an impressive away win against Ospreys. This was followed up with wins against Connacht and Zebre to put them 4th in the Pro12. This position should bolster confidence going into the Heineken Cup, however the narrow scoreline against Zebre, 22-19, means there isn’t a light a mood as you would expect around the squad. Glasgow did make 13 changes for the clash and it almost backfired with Zebre coming close to their first victory at this level. In the end Glasgow scraped through for the victory but Zebre will be the happier of the two sides securing their first point of the season.

Betting Odds: 150/1
Home Ground: Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow
League: RaboDirect Pro12
2012 League Position: 4th
Qualification: Technically they finished as one of the top 2 Scottish teams in the Pro12 and thus qualified. In reality there are currently only 2 Scottish teams in the Pro12 so they qualified automatically.
Coach: Gregor Townsend

Key Players: In the absence of Richie Gray who switched to Sales Sharks this year Glasgow will rely on their other Scotland internationals. Hooker Dougie Hall and Lock Alastair Kellock along with Jason White will provide much needed experience in the pack. At scrum half Chris Cusiter will be one of the main sparks for attacking play.

New Players*: Winger Sean Lamont joins from Scarlets and he and brother Rory will be expected to feature heavily in the backs. Jason White comes in from Toulon and backrow forward Josh Strauss joining from the Lions and some of the highlights from the Warriors off season dealings.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: This year Glasgow have added to their Southern Hemisphere ranks with Josh Strauss signed from the Lions, former Blues pair, centre Viliami Ma’afi & versatile forward Angus , come in from Japan. Nikola Matawalu a very exciting Fijian scrum-half has also been signed and is expected to compete with Cusiter for the 9 jersey. Already at the club are New Zealand born utility back Troy Nathan and South African born Canadian winger D.T.H. van der Merwe.
Northampton Saints

Last season Saints were in one of the toughest pools along with Munster, Scarlets and Castres. In their opening game they led Munster 21-20 in the final minute and looked set for a very rare achievement, beating Munster in a Heineken Cup game at Thomond Park. This feat has only been achieved by two other teams, Leicester in 2007 and Ulster in last year’s Quarter-Final, in a record that stretches back to 1995 and Munster’s first year in the competition. Unfortunately for Saints Munster managed to hold onto the ball for over 40 phases and get the drop goal that kept up their proud record.

So last season’s Heineken Cup started in the same vein that the previous year’s competition ended for Northampton, with a disappointing defeat to an Irish province. In the final the year previous Northampton played a major part in what most acknowledge to be the greatest Heineken Cup final to date. Having secured a 22-6 lead at half time the pundits were all but naming them the winners. A whirlwind start to the second half saw Leinster turn the game on its head to lead 33-22 (the eventual final score) within 20 minutes of the restart. Understandably the Saints players were devastated after the final whistle and after the Munster defeat last year there were shades of the same thing if on a smaller scale.

The Munster game was followed by a home defeat to Scarlets in round 2 and a crushing away 41-22 defeat to Castres in round 3. Although they rallied with a 45-0 win in the return fixture with Castres and managed to beat Scarlets away they were already out of the competition when they welcomed Munster in the final round. They lost that one 51-36 and their European participation was ended, finishing 3rd behind Scarlets who secured the parachute place into the Challenge Cup.

With how things have gone for Saints in their last 2 Heineken Cup campaign they will want to prove a point this year and exorcise those ghosts that must haunt them. Many will tip them as the favourites for the pool, especially if Castres continue to only turn up at home. However with last year’s finalists Ulster also in the pool a good start against Glasgow Warriors in their opening fixture is essential. They currently sit top of the Aviva Premiership and expectation are high for another European adventure.

Betting Odds: 22/1
Home Ground: Franklin’s Gardens, Northampton
League: English Aviva Premiership
2012 League Position: 4th, Semi-Final
HEC Best Performance: Winners 2000
Coach: Jim Mallinder

Key Players: Fiery Captain Dylan Hartley is one of the clubs essential players. If he can manage his temper and channel that aggression he may inspire his men to great things this season. On the flip side losing his cool could cost his team with an untimely yellow card. He’ll miss the opening HEC game due to an eye injury. Courtney Lawes will be another key player with the main question being can he stay injury free. There’s no doubting his talent and physical attributes but he’s too often watched from the stands in recent years. Stephen Myler at fly-half has started the season well but he needs to bring that form to the HEC where a good kicker can make all the difference in tight games.

New Players*: Dominic Waldouck joined from Wasps for this year and has featured heavily at 13. He’s got experience of the competition and has slotted into the team well. Samoan Wing Ken Pisi joins his brother George at the club as he joins from North Harbour. The departure of the man everyone loves to hate, Chris Ashton, means that we should see a lot of Ken this year. Injury to Full-Back Ben Foden means that for Highlanders player James Wilson has stepped in and has been in fine try scoring form. South African No. 8 Gerritt-Jan van Velze was signed from the Blue Bulls. Also Vasily Artemyev is one to watch on the wing.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: In addition to those already mentioned Northampton is home to a number of well-known SH players like props Brian Mujati & Soane Tonga’uiha and NZ lock Mark Sorenson.

Ulster Rugby

Ulster were last year’s beaten finalists. They did really well to reach the final but never made the game a contest against Leinster. They emerged from a tough three way battle in their pool that included Clermont and Leicester. After an opening round victory over Clermont and a comprehensive defeat against Leicester away thing were in the balance. Back to back wins against Aironi restored some confidence and paved the way for their season defining performance against Leicester. Ulster swept Leicester aside 41-7 and even a final round defeat to Clermont wasn’t to deny them a best runner-up spot and progress to the Quarter-Finals.

They approached their Quarter-Final with Munster with a new found confidence and inflicted only the second defeat on Munster at Thomond Park in the competitions history. That 22-16 win was followed up by a nervy game against a spirited Edinburgh side with Ulster holding them off to squeak into the final 22-19. The final turned out to be an anti-climax for Ulster fans who’d waited so long since their 1999 victory. The heights of ’99 couldn’t be scaled again as they ended up on the wrong end of a comprehensive 42-14 defeat. Many pointed to the decision to start with youngster Paddy Jackson at fly-half who struggled to deal with the occasion and had to be withdrawn at half-time.

Still after last year’s exploits Ulster would have viewed this season’s competition with a renewed optimism. However, with Northampton in the same pool, they don’t have to look too far for a reminder of how beaten finalists can struggle in the following year’s competition.

Ulster Rugby would have been riding on a wave of optimism this year but that feel was soured by the tragic loss of rising star Nevin Spence in a recent farming accident. When I wrote my first draft of this guide Nevin was one of the players I’d picked out as someone to shine this year and to make an impact on the world of Rugby similar to Fonfana’s in last year’s competition. Sadly fate had a different plan and for many Ulster fans and Rugby fans in general there will be a hole in this year’s HEC. Just on a personal point I hope Ulster do really well in this year’s competition as a fitting tribute to Nevin who wasn’t just a very talented player with the world at his feet but a smashing young man to boot.

Home Ground: Ravenhill, Belfast
2012 League Position: 6th
Qualification: Finished in the top 3 Irish teams in the Pro12
2012 Heineken Cup: Runners-up
HEC Best Performance: Winners 1999
Coach: Mark Anscombe

Key Players: Stephen Ferris is the heartbeat of the Ulster team and if his knees didn’t keep him out for so long he would probably be acclaimed in the same manner as the best blindsides in the world game. If he remains fit for the campaign expect some barnstorming performances. Tommy Bowe’s return to Ulster this year means that Ulster have more options on the wing and his finishing ability could be crucial. In Ruan Pienaar Ulster has probably the best performing scrum-half in the world from last year and Ulster will hope he can replicate that form.

New Players*: Declan Fitzpatrick has had a meteoric rise in the past year. At Ulster the unavailability of John Afoa gave him his opportunity to shine on the big stage in the HEC. Then the injury to another Ulster prop, Tom Court, saw him make his international debut against New Zealand. He acquitted himself really well against the All Blacks but as luck would have it injury has ruled him out of Ulster’s first game. Keep an eye out for him later in the competition. Another rising star in Ulster’s ranks in Lock Iain Henderson who showed flashes of the potential he has. We should see more of him this year as he’s mobile enough to fill in for back row injuries also.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: In addition to Pienaar and Afoa Ulster also boast a number of SH born Irish qualified players including SA Hooker Rob Herring, Aus Flanker Sean Doyle, and Full Backs Adam D’Arcy (Aus) & Jared Payne (NZ). The more familiar Johan Muller and Nick Williams are also at the province.

ASM Clermont Auvergne

Clermont were one of only 2 sides who made the Quarter-Finals last year. They won a hard fought pool that included Ulster and Leicester clinching top spot with a tight 19-15 victory over Ulster in the final found of pool games.

Their Quarter-Final game was against Saracens the sole English representative to make the knock out stages. Although they were away from home and lost their starting fly-half after just 3 minutes. They made easy work of Saracens, inspired by their replacement fly-half Brock James, running our 22-3 winners.

In the Semi-Final they hosted Leinster and ran them very close. Only some stout defence denied Clermont the winning try as they battered the line in the last 5 minutes. Leinster held on to win 19-15 and secure their final berth.

They’ve started the season well and currently sit 3rd on the Top 14. As we’ve seen the Gods of Heineken Cup Rugby enjoying pairing teams together again and this will give Clermont another go at Leinster this year in the pool stages. They’ll need to transplant their Top 14 form to ensure that get the results they need from tricky opponents in Exeter and the Scarlets.

Betting Odds: 8/1
Home Ground: Parc des Sports Marcel Michelin, Clermont-Ferrand
2012 League Position: 1st, beaten Finalists
2012 Heineken Cup: Semi-Final
HEC Best Performance: Semi-Final 2012
Pool: 5
Coach: Vern Cotter

Key Players: Clermont is home to a lot of international stars but people like Nathan Hines, Julein Bonnaire, Aurelien Rougerie can inspire them to improve on 2012 which was their best year in the competition. Wesley Fofana at inside centre was probably the break out player of the competition last year and they’ll need him to be in similar form this year. If Lee Byrne can rediscovery the form the propelled him to world stardom he could be another big player for them.

New Players*: Clermont recruited massively last year so this season the new faces are a little understated with Napolioni Nalanga joining from Western Force, Benson Stanley coming in from the Blues and Damien Chouly joining from Perpignan.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: There is a very long list of SH star players at Clermont including Brock James (AUS), Regan King (NZ), Napolioni Nalanga (Fiji), Sitveni Sivivatu (NZ), Kevin Senio (NZ), Daniel Kotze (SA).
Exeter Chiefs

Exeter are making their debut this year in the Heineken Cup after their surprise season in the Aviva Premiership. They were many pundits tips for relegation but they defied those predictions to have a fine season finishing 5th. This season they’ve continued on from there and currently sit 6th in the table.
Having no past history in the competition may benefit them as there will not be any expectation and the players can enjoy the experience. They’ve shown already in the Premiership that they enjoy being written off then proving people wrong.

They couldn’t have gotten a tougher assignment for their first game than away to Leinster, but it’s also an opportunity to cause a huge upset and create some history.

Betting Odds: 500/1
Home Ground: Sandy Park, Exeter
HEC Best Performance: N/A
Coach: Rob Baxter

Key Players: Flanker Tom Johnson was deservedly part of the recent England tour to South Africa and many feel that scrum-half Haydn Thomas and Hooker Chris Whitehead will follow in his footsteps before long. New signing Dean Mumm adds some additional experience to a very hard working tightly knit squad.

New Players*: Most of Exeter’s players will be unfamiliar to you unless you regularly watch the Aviva Premiership. Players to keep an eye out for include No. 8 Richie Baxter, prop Brett Sturgess and recently signed centre Ian Whitten.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: New Zealand born props Chris Budgen & Hoani Tui, the aforementioned Dean Mumm, Aus flanker Ben White, Argentinian pair Ignacio Mieres & Gonzolo Camacho, New Zealand centre Jason Shoemark (formerly of Blues and Highlanders) and Fijian Sireli Naqelevuki (formely of Stormers) add some international talent to a largely English squad.
Leinster Rugby

Leinster are the defending champions and have won 3 of the last 4 Heineken Cups. Last year they weren’t as convincing as previous years needing a last minute penalty to salvage a draw in their opening game against Montpellier and being run close by Bath in round 3.

However for some games they really clicked including a 52-27 victory over bath in round 4 which was an object lesson in quick running rugby. After their initial stumble they wrapped up their pool with ease ending with a 25-3 win over Montpellier who gave them so much trouble in their opening fixture.

In the knock-out stages they brushed aside Cardiff 34-3 in the Quarter-Final but found the going much tougher again Clermont in the Semi-Final clinging on to win 19-15. It almost ended there with Clermont coming close to scoring the winning try when Fofana dropped the ball over the line. After the drama of the Semi-Final the Final was a much easier affair which they won 42-14 against Ulster. However in last year’s competition there were signs that the rest of Europe are closing the gap and their recent domination of the Heineken Cup may be coming to an end.

After a slow start to their pool last year they will be looking to avoid a repeat against Exeter. They will be expected to win easily against a debutant team, however Exeter have shown they don’t give up easily and it could be a tough afternoon for them against a team who care little for the oppositions reputation.

Betting Odds: 4/1
Home Ground: Royal Dublin Society (RDS) Arena, Dublin
2012 League Position: 1st, beaten finalists
Qualification: Finished in the top 3 Irish teams in the Pro12
2012 Heineken Cup: Winners
HEC Best Performance: Winners 2009, 2011 & 2012
Coach: Josef Schmidt

Key Players: This year will be Brian O’Driscoll’s first full season where he’s not playing with the shoulder injury that has plagued him in recent years. With a possible Lions spot up for grabs he’ll be out to impress. Jonathan Sexton at fly-half in the blue of Leinster is a completely different animal to what you may have seen with Ireland. Schmidt seems to be able to get a lot more out of him but also Leinster’s quick tempo attack oriented play suits his skill set better. Isa Nacewa may be a bit of a forgotten man for many in the SH as he’s only every played once for Fiji. He’s been one of Leinster’s top performers since joining from the Blues 4 years ago. Playing at Fly-half, wing, full-back or where ever he’s needed to fill in he’s often among the top few performers in most games. For all the flare in the backs the form of back row players Sean O'Brien and Jamie Heaslip could be crucial in tight games.

New Players*: There are a lot of talented youngsters in the Leinster squad who’ve performed well in the Pro12 and are ready to step up and play more regularly in the Heineken. Some who may have breakthrough years if given the opportunity are flanker Rhys Ruddock, fly-half Ian Maddigan, centre Eoin O’Malley and wing Fionn Carr.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: South Africans hooker Richardt Strauss (formerly of Cheetahs), prop Heinke van der Merwe (formerly of the Golden Lions), lock Quinn Roux (formerly of the Stormers) are in the squad along with New Zealand trio prop Michael Bent (formerly of the Hurricanes), No. 8 Leo Auva’a (formerly of Wellington) and fly-half Andrew Goodman.
Llanelli Scarlets

Last year the Scarlets didn’t progress beyond the pool stages. However they gave a good account of themselves in possibly the toughest pool. They finished 2nd behind Munster but headed Northampton and Castres.

Some impressive away victories over Castre (16-13) and Northampton (28-23) were off-set by their relatively poor home record losing 2 of their 3 home pool games. This year if they can reproduce their away victories while making Parc v Scarlets a tough place to visit they could go a step further.

They’ve reached the Semi-Final 3 times, the last occasion being in 2007. However that was also the last time they managed to reach the knock-out stages. They are flying high in the Pro12, currently sitting 2nd, if they can carry that good form with them into Europe this could be a year to remember.

Betting Odds: 50/1
Home Ground: Parc y Scarlets, Llanelli
2012 Heineken Cup: Winners
HEC Best Performance: Semi-Final 2000, 2002 & 2007
Coach: Simon Easterby

Key Players: The Scarlets will look to the new generation of Welsh stars who’ve burst onto the International scene in recent years including giant wing George North, centre Jonathan Davies and fly-half Rhys Priestland. They will hope that Priestland can rediscover form having lost the experience of Stephen Jones as part of a mass exit to England and France.

New Players*: If Priestland doesn’t hit the heights look out for Aled Thomas at fly-half. Tavis Knoyle at scrum-half and Morgan Stoddart may be new names to some but they are talented players.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: The large Welsh contingent in the squad is complimented by South African trio Jacobie Ariaanse (formerly of the Golden Lions), Locks George Earle (formerly of the Cheetahs) & Johan Snyman (formerly of the Kings) along with Fijian prop Deacon Manu, Australin born prop Jake Ball, Tongan lock Sione Timani and Argentinian lock Tomas Vallejos.
Cardiff Blues

Cardiff Blues appeared in the very first Heineken Cup final losing narrowly to Toulouse 21-18 at Cardiff Arms Park. Although they’ve reached Semi-Finals since, including a dramatic penalty shoot-out loss to Leicester in 2009, their 1996 appearance remains their only Heineken Cup Final. With the Welsh team performing so well on the international stage and the swell of young talent in the country many believe this could be the year we finally see a Welsh winner of the HEC.

Last year Cardiff finished with 5 wins from their 6 pool games but still only finished 2nd to Edinburgh. They had some impressive result including home and away wins over pool winners Edinburgh but it was a slip up at home losing to Racing that ultimately cost them top billing in the pool.

Their points total was enough to secure them passage to the knock-out stages as the best runners up. They would not be very proud of their performance against Leinster going down 34-3 in their Quarter-Final. Cardiff will be out to prove they are a better team than that performance and will want to deliver that first Welsh HEC victory.

Home Ground: Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
2012 League Position: 7th
2012 Heineken Cup: Quarter-Final
HEC Best Performance: Runners-up 1996
Pool: 6
Coach: Phil Davies

Key Players: Welsh trio Sam Warburton, Leigh Halfpenny and Jamie Roberts are among the top players at the club. Along with the likes of Bradley Davies and Alex Cuthbert a lot is expected from this group of players.

New Players*: Look out for Jason Tovey at fly-half if he gets a run and Cory Hill at lock. Many of Cardiff’s starlets should be familiar to Australian fans from their recent games between the two but some you might not know are Lloyd Williams at scrum-half and Tom James on the wing.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Fijian prop Campese Ma’afu, New Zealand flanker Michael Patterson and South African No. 8 Andries Pretorius make up a small but impressive SH contingent.

Montpellier

Montpellier started last year competition with a bang, almost upsetting reigning champions Leinster in the first pool game and securing a 16-16 draw that Leinster were very happy to take. They then pushed both Bath and Glasgow away from home securing losing bonus points in both games. That was followed by another home draw against Glasgow and at last they tasted victory when Bath came to town winning 24-22.

They lost their final pool game 25-3 to Leinster but by that stage that had proved that they would be a tough prospect for any team in Europe. If Sale or Cardiff take them lightly this year they could take points off both and emerge as the main Pool challengers to their fellow French team Toulon.

They’ve never reached the knock-out stages but that won’t preclude them from having a major influence on who does progress from the pool and as they say there’s always a first time for everything.

Home Ground: Stade Yves-du-Manoir, Montpellier
Coach: Fabien Galthie

Key Players: The influence of flankers Mamuka Gorgodze and Fulgence Ouedraogo on this team cannot be overstated. Gorgodze is one of those players that if he was from a more fashionable country would be touted as one of the world’s best. At fly-half the talents of Francois Trinh-Duc and Argentine Santiago Fernandez over something more than just the grunt of the pack.

New Players*: If you’re not familiar with who Gorgodze is watch a few Montpellier games and see for yourself how good this guy is. New Zealand born England centre Shontayne Hape can bust a hole in opposition defences.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: There are many SH players in the Montpellier squad including 6 Argentinians, hooker Agustin Creevy, props Maximiliano Bustos & Juan Figallo, fly-half Santiago Fernandez, wing Martin Bustos Moyano, & full-back Lucas Gonzalez-Amorosino. There are 3 South Africans, hooker Rassie Van Vuuren, Lock Drickus Hancke & centre Paul Bosch (formerly of Western Province), Fijian wing Timoci Nagusa and Aussie centre Matthew Carraro.

Sales Sharks

Sale are a team who’ve competed in the Heineken Cup intermittently over the years. When they do qualify they’ve often been seen, rightly or wrongly, as make weights in their pool. This year that reputation will not be enhanced by the fact that they start their campaign bottom of the Aviva Premiership and win-less.

Sometimes playing in a different competition can give a respite from the troubles a team have in their main league competition and they can play much better. Sale will be hoping this is the case for them and they’ll see their opening game against Cardiff as a chance to kick start their season and build some confidence.

Every team in Pool 6 will feel them have something to prove this year. Only time will tell if Sale are one of those who succeed in doing that or if it will be a case of same old same old.

Home Ground: Salford City Stadium, Manchester
2012 League Position: 6th
HEC Best Performance: Quarter-Final 2006
Coach: Bryan Redpath

Key Players: Sale need their big players to start performing if they are to have any impact on this pool and also lift themselves from the foot of the Premiership table. They will look to the likes of lock Richie Gray, No. 8 Andy Powell, scrum-half Dwayne Peel, fly-half Danny Cipriani and wing Mark Cueto to help them make an impact and turn their season around.

New Players*: Sales 3 big recruitments for this season have been Danny Cipriani whom not many Rebels fans were sad to see leave, Cameron Shepard from the Western Force and the outstanding Richie Grey from Glasgow. Players to look out for who may make an impact this year are wing Tom Brady, scrum-half Cillian Willis and flanker Mark Easter brother of England internation Nick.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: SH players in the squad include Samoan centres Jordan Davies & Johnny Leota (formerly of the Highlanders), New Zealand centre Sam Tuitupou (formerly of the Blues), South African centre Corne Uys and Australian full-back Cameron Shepard.
Toulon

Toulon are a star studded team that many look to with envy. Not just their bench but sitting in the stands outside of the match day squad are often players who would be in most teams starting 15. Many believe it’s time for this vast collection of talent to deliver in the Heineken Cup.

They didn’t qualify for last year’s competition and the best they’ve achieved to date is one Quarter-Final appearance. Despite not having a strong Heineken Cup pedigree there is no doubting the potential in their squad. Many expect them to eclipse their previous record and this is reflected by bookies installing them as second favourites behind Leinster.

They currently head the Top14 in France and they will be full of confidence going into their first pool game against Montpellier.

Betting Odds: 5/1
Home Ground: Stade Mayol, France
2012 League Position:
HEC Best Performance: Quarter-Final 2011
Coach: Bernard Laporte

Key Players: Where to start, everywhere you look in the Toulon squad there are top quality international players. Among their embarrassment of riches are Jonny Wilkinson, Bakkies Bothan, Andrew Sherridan, Steffon Armitage, Matt Giteau, captain Joe van Niekerk and vice-Captain Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe to name but a few.

New Players*: New signings for this season that add even more talent to the squad are prop Gethin Jenkins, full-back Delon Armitage, lock Nick Kennedy, back-row Chris Masoe, fly-half Freddie Michalak and centre Maxime Mermoz.

Southern Hemisphere Watch: Their SH contingent include South Africans Bakkies Botha, Joe van Niekerk, New Zealanders Carl Hayman and Chris Masoe, Australians Matt Giteau, Mafileo Kefu & Luke Rooney, Argentine Fernandez Lobbe and Samoan David Smith.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Well done.I think that you'll find TV coverage is on Setanta Sports in Australia.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Pumped for the Edinburgh v Saracens game tonight.

Not looking forward to waking up at 2am Monday morning for Toulouse vs Leicester.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well done.I think that you'll find TV coverage is on Setanta Sports in Australia.

It still says ESPN on the ERC website. I think ESPN may have bought Setanta a few years ago when they went belly up but kept the name of the channel. Either way I'll add Setanta in to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the heads up.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I wish ESPN had the rights in Aus. Setanta's coverage is nothing but poor apparently.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Been a pretty good first half in the Racing v Munster game. Munster started really well going 10-0 up and looking like they'd score more tries before half time. But Munster errors, the loss of Ronan O'Gara and some heart from Racing in the last 10 minutes of the half saw them claw their way back to 10-10 then just before the break Barkley popped a penalty to make it 13-10 to Racing at half time.

Munster are lucky not to be starting the 2nd half with 14 as Connor Murray took out a racing player off the ball as he was going for a loose ball that was bouncing behind the tryline.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
2nd half wasn't as good as the first as it turned into a bit of a kick fest. But we've had the first upset of this year's HEC. Racing fully deserved their 22-17 victory as they were the better team in the 2nd half. Munster may not be the team they once were but they're still a big scalp.

When Simon Zebo scored a great individual try it looked like Munster had gotten out of jail. But Connor Murray gave away an easy penalty after he tried to run from his own 22 on a pitch that looked like a bog by the end. He had a terrible game today, could have got 2 yellow cards and gave away 2 easily kickable penalties. Racing put over another penalty in the last minute to secure the win.

Munster's rebuilding and transformation to a 15 man team will continue but the results may come to late for them to turn this pool around. It's only one loss but it's a tough pool and with Saracens securing a bonus point away win at Edinburgh they're up against it.

The first 30 minutes apart Racing was brilliant in the conditions. The game wasn't a classic to watch especially the 2nd half but they did what was needed and Barkley was my man of the match. Hopefully this win will spur them on to take the HEC seriously for the rest of the pool.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Half time and it's Leinster 3 Exeter 3. Exeter have done really well in their first 40 minutes of Heineken Cup Rugby. They haven't been overawed by the ocassion and they've shown ambition to run the ball when they have it. Leinster started slow last year and if they're to win this one they'll need to up their performance in the 2nd half.

Exeter have the nudge in the scrum, the breakdown has been pretty competitive. Necewa is lucky he didn't get a yellow card for a trip which wasn't spotted by the officials. Ian Whitten has looked lively for Exeter but right through there team there have been some good performances. The game needs that first try in the 2nd half to really spark it off. Which way it goes might determine who goes on to win this one.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Game didn't take off in the 2nd 40 but Exeter can be proud of their efforts. Leinster snuck a 9-6 win but Exeter had a long range penalty at the death for a chance for the draw. Leinster starting slow again this year but they got away with it today. Still a lot of work to do in this tough group. Exeter will be looking forward to next week when they have their 1st home Heineken Cup game.

In the other game pool Clermont beat Scarlets 49-16 to take the early lead in the pool. Scarlets were up early in the 1st half but a red card for Morgan Stoddart (2 yellows) just before half time swung the contest. Clermont cut loose in the 2nd half and ran in 6 tries over the game. If Clermont can get a few away wins then they might take advantages of Leinster's slow start to win the pool. Still early days though and Clermont are one of those French teams that don't travel well.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So far Harlequins v Biarritz has been the most entertaining game I've watched today. It's a clash of styles between Quins' fast paced 15 man rugby and Biarritz' 10 man power rugby.Half time score is 13-13.

Quins struck first with a well worked set play try. From a lineout about 10m out they separated into 2 pods creating space in the middle of the line out for Danny Care to run though and collect the ball flicked down off the top. He did well to hang on to the ball as it was slightly behind him. Once he was through the gap it was an easy run to the line.

When Biarritz got a yellow card it looked like a great opportunity for Quins to stretch out their lead before half time. However it was Biarritz who scored with 14 men using the power of their pack to rumble over. From then Biarritz have looked the better side and if they manage to impose their forward play again in the 2nd half there may be some space for a very talented backline that doesn't see much ball.

Quin lost their inspirational fly half Nick Evans during the first half and then need someone else to step up to spark them in the 2nd half. Care has looked lively but he'll need help from others.

Earlier today in the other game in the pool Connacht won 19-10 away to Zebre. Neither team is expected to challenge for the top spot in the pool which puts even more on the 2nd half of the Quins v Biarritz game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
At half time the Biarritz players were out early warming up for the 2nd half, but it was Harlequins who started the half with a flyer. Buchanan went over for their second try of the game. The pack answered the challenge thrown down by Biarritz in the first half by stepping up their performance. They took control in the scrum shunting Biarritz back at every opportunity and won the contests at the breakdown.

Danny Care continued his impressive display with a number of breaks. Jordan Turn-Hall went over for their 3rd try as Biarritz had no answer to the increase in tempo. In the final minute Stegman crashed over in the corner for the bonus point try. It was an impressive attacking display by Quins and they also managed to keep Biarritz scoreless in the 2nd half.

Final score was 40-13 with Easter and Robshaw impressive all over the park, Marler had a good night in the scrum and Botica who came on for Evans looked assured at fly-half.

Biarritz will have to regroup for next week and get themselves off the mark against Zebre who should be a much easier challenge than they faced today.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
FML. I stayed up for 50 minutes to watch the Edinburgh/Saracens game, waste of time.

Yeah it was just a tad one sided.

Quins v Biarritz was the best HEC game from today, that I watched. Wasps v Dragons in the Amlin was an OK game.

I'm looking forward to Leicester v Toulouse tomorrow.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
How on earth did Leinster not lose players to the bin.

They had a field day transgressing at every ruck. Seriously. WTF was this ref watching?

Exeter had no chance of building phases. None.

Meanwhile the ref seemed to think he had to blow his whistle every 60 second for all manner of arbitrary reasons.

What a horrible, horrible game of rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Glad I stayed up for the two early games, Cuthbert is on fire for Cardiff with a 1st half hattrick.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Half time Northampton 12 Glasgow 15. Northampton rallied in the last five minutes to get themselves back into a game dominated by Glasgow for the first 35 minutes.

For the first 20 minutes or so Glasgow dominated territory penning the Saint back in their own half. But 3 points from a penalty was all they had to show for their efforts. A 22 to 22 break out from Ken Pisi acted as a warning to Glasgow that Northampton were dangerous on the break. A few minutes late when he again made a run this time from inside the 22 it looked like he had to score.

But one of the highlights, for me, of the first weekend of this years Heineken cup was the tackle by Sean Lamont. Pisi and Lamont slid over the line together and Lamont managed to get his leg under the ball to prevent Pisi from dotting down. He then managed to hold Pisi up until help arrived and he was bundled into touch.

2 minutes late Glasgow were back up the other end and Strauss muscled over for the first try of the game. Within 5 minutes Glasgow had a 2nd try, this time Lamont turned from defender to attacker smashing his way past 4 defenders to score in the corner.

Glasgow were 15-0 and cruising but Northampton hit back first when George Pisi went over in the corner after a barn storming run by Monoa put the Saints into Glasgow's 22. Just before he scored he tried a basketball pass out to the wing which was almost intercepted by a Glasgow player but bounced back luckily into Pisi's hand and he then dived over.

A few minutes later Northampton had a lineout in Glasgow's half and then spread the ball quickly to the other side of the pitch where Ken Pisi picked a wonderful line to run in behind the Glasgow defence. He then passed inside to his brother who has a simple run in under the posts for his 2nd try of the game.

Been a good game so far, hoping for more of the same in the 2nd half.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hear Strauss has been more than handy for Glasgow, Boks should've snapped him up so he didn't go overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.