• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heyneke names 1st of 3 training squads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Three training sessions have been arranged. This squad consists only of Cheetahs and Lions players. The second will consist of Bulls and Shark players and the third of Stormers only.

Players invited to the first Springbok planning camp:
Forwards:
Coenie Oosthuizen, Caylib Oosthuizen, Pat Cilliers, CJ van der Linde, WP Nel, Adriaan Strauss, Bandise Maku, Callie Visagie, Izak van der Westhuizen, Davon Raubenheimer, Franco van der Merwe, Heinrich Brüssow, Derick Minnie, Pieter Labuschagne, Ashley Johnson, Juan Smith, Josh Strauss, Philip van der Walt
Backs:
Piet van Zyl, Michael Bondesio, Johan Goosen, Elton Jantjies, Butch James, Willie le Roux, Andries Strauss, Doppies La Grange, Robert Ebersohn, Alwyn Hollenbach, Lionel Mapoe, Jaco Taute, Hennie Daniller

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mod, please delete this thread. Only realised later someone had already posted this in another thread.

C

Cave Dweller

Kamp Staaldraad The Sequel.
Starring Heynecke Meyer
A Rudolph Strauli Production

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
He's named 31 players, basically both teams.. what's the point of this.
I thought the same thing when I saw the players named! Maybe he wants to run a closer eye over all of these players. But the article I read suggested the sessions are mainly 'theoretical'. Besides, given the tight timeframe, there is no way he would be able to have a decent look at any of these players. Does seem very pointless.

Although Meyer comes across as a very thorough coach who covers all bases. If he feels these sessions will help him in selecting his squad then he should go right ahead.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Meyer probably also recognises that with the newly extended S15 (and the fatigue factors and incremental injuries that brings), the June Tests, and the new 4N, SA will need a bigger dedicated playing squad than ever before. Plus, someone of his intensity and ambition will want SA to get right back into the 4N and Mandela Plate winners' seat asap. PdV stuck with too many favourites and legends for too long, I would reckon Meyer will rightly be harsher and more objective in his SA selections, and will want to look at the broadest talent base in doing so.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I am glad to see Meyer is quick up and running. He'll only communicate to the players what he expect from everyone and about Bok ethics and the like. Good stuff.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Kamp Staaldraad The Sequel.
Starring Heynecke Meyer
A Rudolph Strauli Production

Looks like we have a new candidate for village comedian. In your dreams son. Not with Meyer. Total disciplinarian but he achieves it through respect unlike Straeuli who knew he was incapable of ever earning it.

He's named 31 players, basically both teams.. what's the point of this.

"If you expect to play for the Boks this is what I will expect from you. This is the way we intend to play. This is how we are going to do things. This is the basic skill set I expect from you. You may not all make my squad but if you get called up, you know the baseline of what I expect and what to expect."

Seems totally reasonable with preciously little time at hand.

Heyneke Meyer is a painstakingly meticulous man. He will have good reason to do this and will know exactly what he wants to achieve.

I'd rather he overdoes everything than the total shambles of sweet fuck all organisation and direction we had for four years thank you very fucking much.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Looks like we have a new candidate for village comedian. In your dreams son. Not with Meyer. Total disciplinarian but he achieves it through respect unlike Straeuli who knew he was incapable of ever earning it.

"If you expect to play for the Boks this is what I will expect from you. This is the way we intend to play. This is how we are going to do things. This is the basic skill set I expect from you. You may not all make my squad but if you get called up, you know the baseline of what I expect and what to expect."

Heyneke Meyer is a painstakingly meticulous man. He will have good reason to do this and will know exactly what he wants to achieve.

I'd rather he overdoes everything than the total shambles of sweet fuck all organisation and direction we had for four years thank you very fucking much.
"You show way to much respect for the Kiwis and Aussies, fuck them over" ;)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A more interesting discussion is who will be captain?

I'd have my money on Burger right now. He has earned it. Juan Smith is gone for the year. Spies is the only other likely candidate but not assured of a starting position?

Jean de Villiers? Is he guaranteed a starting spot? Maybe not? And can he make the next RWC? Probably not.

There really is no bolter I can think of.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

I'd have my money on Burger right now. He has earned it. Juan Smith is gone for the year. Spies is the only other likely candidate but not assured of a starting position?

Jean de Villiers? Is he guaranteed a starting spot? Maybe not? And can he make the next RWC? Probably not.

The same from me. Think it will be either Schalk or Spies. JdV doing a great job (remember that win in House of Pain) and with the Stormers. I just hope Heyneke go a bit out of the box and plan properly with players that he think will hit their straps come 2015 and cut out some old wood. We have a bunch of exciting youngsters coming through and I think we should have at least 30 top players, rotating all the time and keeping a few core players with experiense. I know he is big on dissipline which is excellent. You want players who work hard on and off the field.

C

Cave Dweller

Fair enough. It is your opinion. Will respect that. ;)

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)

Well I believe Meyer stated he'd have an interim captain for a year or maybe two after which he will pick the new captain. This, coupled with him being keen on foreign-based players may see du Preez as captain or of course, Schalk or some other stalwart.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Du Preez. No chance. He will probably be in the match 22 but I think captain is a stretch too far.

All roads seem to point to Schalk and if Meyer were wise he would NOT pick a bulls player as hot whole management team will be dressed in pink er I mean cherise.

Status
Not open for further replies.