• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Brumbies - Super Rugby Round 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rugby Park, Invercargill 1735 Saturday AEST

Ref: Briant
AR's: Pickerill & McBride
TMO: Paterson

Big match for both sides: Highlanders have a draw that includes the Chiefs twice, Crusaders & Hurricanes so really need to win this one to hang onto their wildcard spot. Brumbies are outside the playoffs but only by a Point so a win could potentially see them trade places with the Rebels as the top Australian side while a loss could allow the Waratahs, who have a game in hand, catch or even overtake them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the weather forecast for Inverrrrrcarrrrrgil this weekend?

The only games I've seen there were ITM Cup games and it was either as cold as a cuddle from the Mother-In-Law or wet as a very wet thing, or a combination of both as foul as a baby's nappy.

The prospect of a game at Rugby Park In Southland is as enticing as a game at Thormond Park in Munster is for the Wallabies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Forecast is a balmy 17C, dry but overcast & not much wind. It doesn't get ugly down those ways until later in the year when the gales start rolling up from Antarctica.

Capacity is 18K but can be upped to 20K with temporary seating. Not sure they'll need that, but I'd be expecting 12-15K: they only get one game a year & the locals tend to make the most of it, they'll be rocking up from Owaka to Nightcaps to Tuatapere!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
What is the weather forecast for Inverrrrrcarrrrrgil this weekend?

The only games I've seen there were ITM Cup games and it was either as cold as a cuddle from the Mother-In-Law or wet as a very wet thing, or a combination of both as foul as a baby's nappy.

The prospect of a game at Rugby Park In Southland is as enticing as a game at Thormond Park in Munster is for the Wallabies.

I remember the Waratahs playing Invercargill. We either got flogged by 40 or annihilated by 60, depending how wet it was.

Hopefully playing under the Dunedin roof has turned the Highlanders soft, but I doubt it. This is probably the most crucial game of the round, considering that the loser is likely to kiss the finals goodbye. I reckon the Highlanders are favourites - the Brumbies have the cattle but they've got to get their mojo back fast!

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Alexander doesn't even make the bench. Staniforth gets rewarded for his good form. And only two backs on the bench.

Allan Ala'alatoa
Josh Mann-Rea
Ruan Smith
Tom Staniforth
Sam Carter
Scott Fardy
David Pocock
Jarrad Butler
Tomás Cubelli
Christian Lealiifano (c)
Robbie Coleman
Matt To'omua
Tevita Kuridrani
Nigel Ah Wong
Aidan Toua

Reserves
Robbie Abel
Scott Sio
Leslie Leulua’iali’i-Makin
Rory Arnold
Blake Enever
Jordan Smiler
Joe Powell
James Dargaville

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Jesus
I know Sio hasn't been playing well but to get dropped still is a surprise. He will wanna pull his socks up over the next few weeks or he may have difficulty at Wallaby lebel.

Alexander as well, Shit that kick, chase and tackle was the best loose play I've seen a prop do all year. I haven't watched him closely - is it his scrummaging work (again or still) ?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith (cc), 14 Jack Wilson,13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Rob Thompson, 11 Patrick Osborne, 10 Lima Sopoaga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Liam Squire, 7 Shane Christie (cc), 6 Elliot Dixon, 5 Tom Franklin, 4 Alex Ainley, 3 Josh Hohneck, 2 Ash Dixon, 1 Daniel Lienert-Brown. Replacements: 16 Greg Pleasants-Tate, 17 Craig Millar, 18 Siosiua Halanukonuka, 19 Joe Wheeler, 20 Dan Pryor, 21 Fumiaki Tanaka, 22 Hayd

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bernie claims the changes aren't form related, which I can believe because Coleman, Toua and To'omua are still there..........

Larkham insisted the changes were not form related following a 40-14 thumping at the hands of the Canterbury Crusaders last weekend.

But the loss of four Wallabies – Moore, Alexander, Sio and Tomane – leaves a giant hole in the Brumbies roster as it aims to end its struggles.

"It was the timing of it, we sort of targeted this game as an opportunity for guys to swap. It just felt right for the team to get a bit of an injection from these guys who have been playing extremely well from the bench," Larkham said.

"It was more about this block of five games, this is the middle of a run for us so it just feels right with where the team is at the moment. It's the right time to give guys a chance.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...gainst-otago-highlanders-20160428-goh40r.html

G

galumay

I think it would have been a difficult game for the bush donkeys - at full strength - the injury toll makes it look very unlikey they will find any joy in the chill of Invacargill.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Liam Coltman out until at least after the June break, broke his toe v Shawks but played on. Clan are saying it was the result of a neck roll but won't ID who was responsible.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For a side that has regularly had one of the strongest set pieces, it is a huge gamble to replace four of the tight five in one hit. Only Mann-Rea for Squeaky is obviously injury related. Having said that, Ala'alatoa has been playing strongly and Staniforth has been impressive off the bench, so probably only the selection of Ruan Smith in favour of Makin is a real surprise.

Nevertheless, it will be a big challenge at scrum time I believe.

Poey back should tighten the defense around the ruck and base of the scrum and put extra pressure on the Landers to retain the ball. That is a definite positive.

Despite the claims that the Brumbies actually went ok last week, that the Crusaders scored mainly from turnover ball, that shellacking really was a result of a combination of the defense being below par and the attack having very little penetration apart from Joe. These areas will need to be improved significantly for the Brumbies to have a show against the Highlanders. It is sobering to realise also that had a couple of cross-field kicks been marginally better directed, there would have been another two tries put on us at least.

The compressed defensive pattern run by the Brumbies last week was the main contributor to the loss and the extent of the loss imo. The Crusaders really had no trouble getting outside the defense through quick hands and run arounds, and then when the opportunity arose they simply put in those cross field kicks to unmarked wingers. Had they gone to hand, the result would have been quite a bit worse.

And remember, the Highlanders are just as adept as the Crusaders, maybe more so, at their kicking game, so I have very little confidence that we'll come away from this game any better than we did last week if we go in with similar tactics.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Have to say I'm also very puzzled by the bench split. Six forwards and two backs when Ah Wong makes the starting lineup. He is virtually another forwards reserve if the need arises, so I'd have thought a 5/3 split would be the sensible way to go. Two backs reserves doesn't give much flexibility especially if, as is likely, Joe Powell either doesn't get a run or maybe only a few minutes at the end.

Some of the selections lately are a mystery to me. Robbie Coleman continues to be selected on the wing when he has been quite below par in most of his games. The bench No 9 is swapped from game to game without either benchie getting much opportunity to show what he can do. And as much as I like him, I don't believe Sam Carter has been setting the world on fore at lock either. Long run, I won't be surprised if Staniforth/Enever become the starting duo in the second row. Both play with more aggression than Carter and Arnold, and Enever especially is a strong ball carrier. Tom could well become our version of Brad Thorn.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm guessing the bench 9 is being regularly swapped so they both get some actual game time in club rugby.

G

galumay

Looks wet & cold down in Invacargill, typical summer's evening in other words!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Doesnt rugby park have a roof why is it not closed when its raining ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
FFS, ref gets deadset in the way of Smith kicking it so we get pinged for offside.

Status
Not open for further replies.