• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hoiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Hoiles the big loser as beef-up plan fails

Rupert Guinness | November 8, 2008

FOR two years Wallabies coach John Connolly badgered Stephen Hoiles to stack on the weight, insisting he needed more bulk and strength if he wanted to continue to be a Wallabies back-rower.

But trying to become "the person I probably will never be" has probably cost Hoiles his Wallabies jumper. As the the team's spring tour continues, he is in Australia, having missed selection for a second time this year.

He last played for Australia in the second Test against France on July 5, but was omitted for the Tri Nations squad and then, after captaining Randwick to the Shute Shield final, for the northern hemisphere tour.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans told Hoiles, 27, he needed to become more involved in the game, which Hoiles interpreted as needing to be faster and fitter - traits he had, but believes were lost by his bid to gain weight.

As he spent hour after hour in the gym doing extra weights trying to convert his 98 kilogram body into the 103kg physique Connolly wanted, Hoiles believes he lost his trademark spark. His intention now is to return to being the natural player he is, and not the colossus others said he had to be.

This was his goal when he lined up in Canberra for his first pre-season training block since 2003, at the Brumbies. He joined the team last year, from NSW, and has re-signed until the end of 2010.

"A lot of people think you are not on the Wallaby tour, they always say you must be down, but I get to do a pre-season and get all this time to rip in to next year," he said.

Deans, Hoiles said, did not outline what he had to do to return to the Wallabies, but he read between the lines.

"He didn't have a problem with anything in particular," Hoiles said. "He just thought I had to do more and be involved more as opposed to waiting for things to come to me and then doing something.

"That just comes down to being fitter and doing more running. I have run so much more the last couple of weeks than I have for the last two or three years.

"The focus of the game [before now] was more about set pieces ? With the new [experimental] laws, it is a running game, and I have to take advantage of that because naturally that should suit. I have to get back to my basics that got me where I was."

Hoiles won't allow himself to be consumed with the idea of a Wallabies comeback, however. He just wants to become the best footballer he can be.

"I am not going back to training and trying to do what I think will get me back in the Wallabies," Hoiles said. "I have to do what is best for me and what got me to play my best footy. That is being as fit as I possibly can ?

"I am 100 kilos. I have spent years trying to get from 98kg to 103kg and it's at the stage where it is superficial weight. It just keeps certain people happy.

"The people who have those perceptions of me [that he needed to bulk up] are out of the game. 'Knuckles' [Connolly] is out of it - [he] was really big on it. [Connolly's predecessor] Eddie Jones wasn't big on it. He was, 'Get strong but you don't have to spend your whole life in the gym.'

"But under Knuckles, leading up to the World Cup, the whole 2006 and 2007 [seasons] were [about] being big and strong, and being this huge person that I will probably never be."

Is Hoiles hearing him right?

I reckon Deans means "get off the wing and start doing a forwards job".

Not sure 5kgs has anything to do with it.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Hoiles is a powderpuff nancyboy who should have pissed off to league years ago.

Australian rugby is hardly crying out for a lightweight loose forward who doesn't show up at the coalface.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hit it on the head naza - Hoiles can carry on about what he "thought" Deans wanted; he should have just asked. Knob.

F

formeropenside

Gratifying to Hoiles too that Connolly told him in no uncertain terms what he did not want to hear, while Deans made a comment that Hoiles could interpret to mean exactly what he wanted.

How hard is it to go from 98 to 103kg? Mealamu, Cannon, even Smith and Waugh.

S

Spook

Hoiles has been crap this year - nothing to do with weight. Had a good year last year but he won't be starting for the Brumbies unless he pulls his finger out as Salvi is much harder on the ball. Mitchell Chapman is another who should be worried about losing his starting spot with Kimlin and Tamani lurking.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Holies will be a great bech player for the Brumbies because of his ability to cover 6 & 8.

Salvi is class at 8 much better at the back of the scrum than openside.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Another 5kg means f*ck all if you stand out in the centres doing stuff all

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Still relevant after his recent form for the Tahs?

Haha the funny thing is I remember when this thread started. Hoiles really was a polarising player. Some couldn't stand that it appeared to shirk the grind by standing in the backline too often, others lauded his versatility.

Status
Not open for further replies.