• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm referring to the broader internet debate which is taking place in comment sections on here, smh, theroar, you name it. The notion that this is somehow equivalent to calling someone fat etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

So "it" is the debate itself?
Seriously?
The post then reads "there should be no debate about the debate".
By the way being called fat can lead to serious emotional scars so you should pick another unimportant slur to make your point.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
On a side note, I wonder if the same part of the brain that is responsible for sexual preference is also responsible for depression?

At this stage the answer would be no. Simply because no single area of the brain has been isolated for "sexual preference". Depression is an altogether different matter and there is a lot of research into different forms and causes of depressive illness and different aspects of general brain activity and chemistry between patients and non-suffers.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic are you a doctor or scientist? You sound particularly informed

In a previous life, too many years ago and old habits die hard. I just read lots of stuff for interest sake, that has absolutely no application to my current business. Also having managed to substantially control the black dog myself over the last few years I have read a lot on my own treatment and the whys and wherefores.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I'm referring to the broader internet debate which is taking place in comment sections on here, smh, theroar, you name it. The notion that this is somehow equivalent to calling someone fat etc
dont downplay the effect of using the word fat.

Particularly with teenage girls and females. Increasingly juvenile boys are also highly scared of being labeled fat.

That being said it is a different debate

domo

Stan Wickham (3)
dont downplay the effect of using the word fat.

Particularly with teenage girls and females. Increasingly juvenile boys are also highly scared of being labeled fat.

That being said it is a different debate

bad example and choice of words. But my point was aimed at the political correctness gone mad, "slippery slope" argument that is popping up everywhere

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I thought it had been pretty conclusively proven that homosexuality is a result of hormonal imbalances during pregnancy?

IE different hormones are released at different stages in different doses, and the strength/timing of said doses is what changes the future male fetus, from female to male (as everyone starts out female).

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I thought it had been pretty conclusively proven that homosexuality is a result of hormonal imbalances during pregnancy?

IE different hormones are released at different stages in different doses, and the strength/timing of said doses is what changes the future male fetus, from female to male (as everyone starts out female).

A very quick look at PubMed tells me that is one of dozens, if not hundreds of viable theories, both genetic and environmental. I would suggest there are many causes and combinations of causes. And ultimately, it doesn't matter.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I read a comment on the guardian criticising Pocock for not speaking up about the Di Patson issue. Apparently they felt that was hypocritical. o_O He wasn't even in the squad.

I do fear for his future. He's going to be subjected to twice the scrutiny as other players, and you can bet that if he messes up in any way there'll be an avalanche of people pouncing on it as proof of his hypocrisy.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I read a comment on the guardian criticising Pocock for not speaking up about the Di Patson issue. Apparently they felt that was hypocritical. o_O He wasn't even in the squad.

I do fear for his future. He's going to be subjected to twice the scrutiny as other players, and you can bet that if he messes up in any way there'll be an avalanche of people pouncing on it as proof of his hypocrisy.
This is not a criticism of Pocock, but the larger you build your profile, the larger the level of scrutiny, fair or otherwise.The nature of the beast. And there will always be those who want to see you fall.
Outside of this recent episode (i.e. not specifically commenting on it here), I think the overwhelmingly positive use he makes of his high profile is something to respect. After all, he could just flog stuff, like many other sports stars.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
@papabear, the former is the point that is being made by many on here.

Many people, especially in Sydney, know some or many GLBT folk. By and large they are fairly normal people. Plenty tout their gay friends around as token symbols of their liberal views without having any real understanding of the GLBT community and the issues that they face. I am far from being an expert on those issues.

The alarming suicide rate rolls off the keyboard as just another statistic until, as has happened to me, people you know become part of that statistic. It has happened twice to me, one was a close friend: a stereotypically over the top cheerful openly gay fellow, and one just an acquaintance who concealed his "gayness". I also know of several others that have nearly succeeded in taking their own lives. Telling the survivors to harden up and develop some character didn't seem appropriate. It also didn't seem right to tell the parents of my mate that their son didn't develop a robust enough character.
I agree that it isn't right to tell the parents of your mate that their son didn't develop a robust enough character.

I agree that it is a sad world that bright kids are taking their lives.

I am sorry for what happened to you and your friends. It is this sort of thing that makes me feel that we should not dignify bullies and insults from homophobic people with the attention they do not deserve.

My choice of words aren't perfect but my intentions are good and for happiness for all people.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
bad example and choice of words. But my point was aimed at the political correctness gone mad, "slippery slope" argument that is popping up everywhere
That's not what I'm saying.
My point is that this is the currently trendy issue but that to be consistent all forms of discriminatory put down should be addressed.
The fact that you thought/think "fat" bullying is benign (when it most certainly is not) shows how difficult and widespread the problem is and how insensitive even those who think themselves enlightened can be.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
For interests sake homosexuality is still illegal where I live, doesn't mean it doesn't exist and doesn't mean people are slandered more. But it is not considered normal, visible or advertised in any way.

I for one am OK with that situation. A view that I'm sure will have me labelled in Australia (or even in this forum) a number of things which are wholly inaccurate.

Essentially I cannot have my own view on morality without being crucified? Progress huh?

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For interests sake homosexuality is still illegal where I live, doesn't mean it doesn't exist and doesn't mean people are slandered more. But it is not considered normal, visible or advertised in any way.

I for one am OK with that situation. A view that I'm sure will have me labelled in Australia (or even in this forum) a number of things which are wholly inaccurate.

Essentially I cannot have my own view on morality without being crucified? Progress huh?

You can have your view and we can say that it's wrong.

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
And that's the way it should be, the fact you can even disagree with the laws we have without legal repercussions indeed show 'progress'. Could anyone openly disagree with homosexuality being illegal in the country you live in without fearing for their lives or safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.