• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Homophobic remark in Tahs Brumbies game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
So you'd rather rugby protect its brand by covering up homophobia and dealing with it non-transparently (if at all), than to have players and the broader organisation actively work to counter the issue?
That conclusion doesn't follow from what was said. And it's the sort of adversarial comment that causes a rift and actually prevents fixing the issue.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
By bringing this issue up on the field Pocock reduced the harm. The matter had to be dealt with straight away.

The worst possible case would be for some League journalist to find out and start a witch hunt where all players were suspects and forever treated like thug imbeciles.

I think that the way this was dealt with was good for the game and limited damage, the public got it's offender and penalties were given without much complaint.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
When people start posting photos or Memes you know the thread has run its course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite done when memes are used.

Homophobes are like nazis........there now the thread has run its course.

Godwins law is in effect

Reactions: Tex

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Ahh no it hasn't, there was no benefit to the Australian Rugby brand whatsoever in highlighting to the world that homophobic taunts are still happening.

I think it's been extremely positive, even if only in so far as it has brought this important issue to public discussion.

I doubt it has caused any actual damage to Australian Rugby, given that it involved 2 Wallabies objecting to Homophobic comments made by a South African

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That's not what I'm saying.
My point is that this is the currently trendy issue but that to be consistent all forms of discriminatory put down should be addressed.
The fact that you thought/think "fat" bullying is benign (when it most certainly is not) shows how difficult and widespread the problem is and how insensitive even those who think themselves enlightened can be.
Are there specific examples of other forms of discrimination not being addressed that you're worried about? This is what I think was meant by the slippery slope comment. If there are other forms of discrimination that you feel are of equal importance and this is just a "trendy" issue, then they can be discussed and dealt with on their own terms. No one has to clarify every other thing they have a problem with to discuss this.

Is it just annoying to you that there is a fuss out of interest? I can't really get a coherent position from your posts but you seem irritated by the whole thing. Not trying to have a go.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
its an opinion: it's neither right nor wrong, by definition
Which definition of opinion says they can't be right or wrong? They don't have to be based in fact to exist, but opinions can definitely be wrong.

Not saying this particular discussion isn't subjective though.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
An opinion is personal to whomever holds that opinion, and can never be wrong.

What that person used to arrive at the opinion can be wrong, e.g. what that person believed to be a fact is, in fact, not a fact.

Hth.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Are there specific examples of other forms of discrimination not being addressed that you're worried about? This is what I think was meant by the slippery slope comment. If there are other forms of discrimination that you feel are of equal importance and this is just a "trendy" issue, then they can be discussed and dealt with on their own terms. No one has to clarify every other thing they have a problem with to discuss this.

Is it just annoying to you that there is a fuss out of interest? I can't really get a coherent position from your posts but you seem irritated by the whole thing. Not trying to have a go.
Sexism- there are certain jobs that will employ women over men due to trying to "even out the numbers" rather than on skill and qualifications.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I think it's been extremely positive, even if only in so far as it has brought this important issue to public discussion.

I doubt it has caused any actual damage to Australian Rugby, given that it involved 2 Wallabies objecting to Homophobic comments made by a South African

It was a waratah who made the comments.

A bloke representing NSW. Unless you are a hardcore rugby nut, you are just going to read the headline and think rugby players are homophobes... where do you think all the generalisations of rugby league players come from. Read up on brett stewart if you don't appreciate the damage to a reputation headlines can cause.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
For interests sake homosexuality is still illegal where I live, doesn't mean it doesn't exist and doesn't mean people are slandered more. But it is not considered normal, visible or advertised in any way.

I for one am OK with that situation. A view that I'm sure will have me labelled in Australia (or even in this forum) a number of things which are wholly inaccurate.

Essentially I cannot have my own view on morality without being crucified? Progress huh?
My own view is that is an atrocity.

And just because a government commits an atrocity doesn't justify a sympathising position.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Since you ask: i have no problem with Pocock and/or more Moore speaking to the ref, although at the ground (without knowing what it was about) i thought Pocock went on too long and came back at the ref to complain after the discussion was over: from a purely rugby point of view thats risky because the ref might just say he has had enough questioning even if you are the captain.
In the post match it should have been left as Moore left it because to do anything else usurped the investigation and disciplinary process that was already in train to the satisfaction of the brumbies, based on reports I have read.
Sledging of all sorts gives me the shits and as i posted many pages back there is usually a disparaging element founded on some actual or perceived difference between what a player would want to be and the name they have been called.
So all of the following should be prohibited: girl, blouse, pussy etc etc because they are demeaning to women. "Fat" - although it probably doesn't get flung about on a rugby field much - also has tremendous implications for some people: as profound in some cases as the implications of being discriminated against for any reason.
Have a look at the sledge thread started by HJ - are all those sledges really OK? Do some of them demean minorities/the marginalised or whatever?
Finally, my personal experience is that I only began sledging (which I was pretty good at) when my own game started to slip.
Pretty simple really: get on with the game without humiliating or ostracising anyone.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Since you ask: i have no problem with Pocock and/or more Moore speaking to the ref, although at the ground (without knowing what it was about) i thought Pocock went on too long and came back at the ref to complain after the discussion was over: from a purely rugby point of view thats risky because the ref might just say he has had enough questioning even if you are the captain.
In the post match it should have been left as Moore left it because to do anything else usurped the investigation and disciplinary process that was already in train to the satisfaction of the brumbies, based on reports I have read.
Sledging of all sorts gives me the shits and as i posted many pages back there is usually a disparaging element founded on some actual or perceived difference between what a player would want to be and the name they have been called.
So all of the following should be prohibited: girl, blouse, pussy etc etc because they are demeaning to women. "Fat" - although it probably doesn't get flung about on a rugby field much - also has tremendous implications for some people: as profound in some cases as the implications of being discriminated against for any reason.
Have a look at the sledge thread started by HJ - are all those sledges really OK? Do some of them demean minorities/the marginalised or whatever?
Finally, my personal experience is that I only began sledging (which I was pretty good at) when my own game started to slip.
Pretty simple really: get on with the game without humiliating or ostracising anyone.

Thanks for the reply and I feel I've probably misunderstood your position a bit - I apologise for that.

I had taken it to be in the disruptive potshot style of "Why are you acting on X and not Y" to have a go at the people taking action on X. I understand this not to be the case now.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You still don't get it.
No sledging.
Why don't you think its equally wrong to equate less than adequate performance with being a "girl" as it is to equate it with being homosexual?
I just can't see the difference in what it does and where it comes from.

The post you are probably replying to here was posted before your response, and was in relation to the person pointing out sexism as another issue that occurs. It was not meant to be a reply to you.

I deleted that post as it also furthered my original point without hearing a reply from you, which isn't fair.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The post you are probably replying to here was posted before your response, and was in relation to the person pointing out sexism as another issue that occurs. It was not meant to be a reply to you.

I deleted that post as it also furthered my original point without hearing a reply from you, which isn't fair.

Agreed - I got rid of it once I worked it out.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Society evolves THANKFULLY

When I was a young bloke (in the 70's) homosexuals were called fags, pooftas, camp, queer, queens and im sure others. The were made fun of, bashed, abused etc etc
Every society has homosexuals. They have been known about for thousands of years. They were outcast, then tolerated now accepted as a NORMAL part of the fabric of society.

They should not be discriminated in ANY way whatsoever.

I reckon RUGBY has more than done its job of highlighting abuse of homosexuals.

For me, its time to move on

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
However, rightfully or wrongly consequences, behind closed doors will surely trickle through ontp Pocock's rugby future.

Personally I would be very surprised if another Australian franchise would touch the bloke. The Brums have him.

If that were true, which I doubt, it would have more to do with the fact he's had 2 knee reconstructions in 2 years, not what he says and does off the pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.