• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to be a ballboy for the Tahs or Wallabies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

troya

Does anyone know if there is a person or group that looks after the ball boys at aTah or Wallaby level?
Or is it just the son and friends of one of the admins at the Tahs / Wallabies?
Cheers

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i know the waratahs usually take kids in hospital or due to special circumstances like they moved from qld and have a chance at quality education, but they did have a thing on there website to register for it a season or so ago, not sure if its still there, but i would just ring them and ask.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Reds have an application process.

Not entirely relevant to the thread, but related.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
i know the waratahs usually take kids in hospital or due to special circumstances like they moved from qld and have a chance at quality education, but they did have a thing on there website to register for it a season or so ago, not sure if its still there, but i would just ring them and ask.

WJ - If you are going to make a quip about Queenslanders and quality education, then for God's sake, please present as a person who might have enjoyed the benefit of formal education!

Other than that, as you were.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
if your going to attack me personally please be advised to learn about me first. other than that, please feel free to play the man and miss the point.

It's not a personal attack per se, just a response to your inference that Queenslanders lack quality education. I thought it was ironic that a dig at education was expressed in such an uneducated manner. Not playing the man at all, old son, just responding to to one of your many cracks at Queenslanders.

If you're going to lead with your chin, then be prepared for the occasional punch to hit.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I know that 2UE radio have a comp to be the 'junior tah' that runs the ball out. Your best hope would be to ring up Tahs HQ and ask for Mike Green, he coordinates work experience there.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
At the reds its normally the younger family of people involved with the franchise. I heard on the radio that the kid who stalled the quad bike at the tahs v reds game in 2008 was ben lucas's little brother.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
just a response to your inference that Queenslanders lack quality education.

Interesting and related trivia

A teacher trained in NSW can get a job in Qld a whole lot easier than a Qld trained teacher can in NSW

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Back to the ball boy bit.

Many years ago I used to "manage" the ball boys at the Pirates. The junior club, Wests Junior Rugby, was my first port of call and a few younger brothers, and sisters, tagged along. The Sydney ball boy co-ordinator gave me a typed sheet explaning how he wanted Super and test ball boys to perform their duties, don't put the ball on the ground, don't touch an out ball, etc. Ball boys (and girls) at the Pirates were required to do at least one "far" away game, Rats, Souths or Penrith, each year. At the beginning of each season I forwarded a contacts list of each ball boy and girl to the Sydney bloke and over the following two years every kid got a warm-up Super game and a test curtain-raiser followed by a main Super game and a test the succeeding year. My young bloke did deaf Aus v NZ in 2002 and a Welsh test in 2003 along with a couple of Super games. Every match the ball boys got included a couple of tickets for their parents. The Sydney bloke liked clubs to forward him those lists and worked his way through them.

As far as I know that's how it's still done in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.