• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to fix the wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Don't recall Pulver running out tonight and missing tackles.

What I meant was that a lot of the change at the reds in 2009 came from Carmichael stepping in to the CEO role. Although that might be more related to fixing the ARU than the wallabies. Mods could you please add on to the end to the title the words 'and ARU'? (if it's possible)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hire the Hurricane's coach as Defensive coach. There defence was outstanding this year.

Hire Jim McKay as attack coach, Think he was attack coach for the Reds in 2011 when they won the super xv.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The first step is for all stakeholders, at all levels of the game, to accept that the only way forward is to work together.

The days of club and provincial selfishness must be discarded for ever.

Working together we have a chance. By the way, it is not up to the ARU alone to fix the game, it is up to all of us.

T

TOCC

Get full time coaches, this full time piece has run its part.

I don't think Larkhams up to the task, Brumbies displayed nothing this year which suggested to me that Larkhams attacking talent was rubbing off on the players or there attacking skills had improved on that of 12 months ago.

Likewise with the defensive coach,Wallabies defence is simply rubbish, missed tackles are exacerbated by poor defensive alignments.

Cheika, don't sack him, but he needs to adjust his mentality for how the Wallabies should play and make selections accordingly.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hire the Hurricane's coach as Defensive coach. There defence was outstanding this year.

Based on persistent late Super Rugby rumours and last nights display, I'd say that was largely down to Wayne Smith.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was that the same guy who subsequently fucked the Reds through his association with Richard Graham?

He was actually really good prior to the RG fiasco (people were calling for him to be named ARU), and IIRC he was not a fan of having RG as coach never mind I was wrong. Reg could you please clarify?

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
1. New Game Plan

2. New players - some guys are absolutely kidding themselves. The continued selection of some older players is ridiculous.

3. Improve general skill level - this will take time but it has to start now.

4. We have an absolute lack of quality ball players - this is both kicking and playmaking. Foley is proving he is not a test standard flyhalf, but he is easily the best we have (outside a return of QC (Quade Cooper) to form). Cooper is a better kicker all round and a better kicker than Foley, but he's too inconsistent. The NRL has no shortage of quality young ballplaying halves that would easily be above our guys in terms of skill and general footballing nous. Outside the obvious ones (Johnathon Thurston and Cooper Cronk, whose game would easily make for a top class rugby player), guys like Anthony Milford, Mitchell Moses, Nathan Cleary, Ash Taylor, Moses Mbye are all under 23 and have a more polished skill set (ball playing, kicking, defence) than any of the contenders for the Wallaby 10. Moses and Taylor particularly have a game that would be suited perfectly for rugby. The point isn't that league players are superior, it's how can we learn off league to better the skill level of our playmakers?

5. New captain - Moore really is not up to playing test standard any more let alone captaining.

I'd be quite happy to cop a year or two of pain from essentially starting afresh and going with new faces and a new system building up to 2019.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Giteau etc have been wonderful servants of Australian rugby and, honestly, are still better players than their younger counterparts. But the curtain is coming down on their careers and it doesn't serve the long term needs to keep selecting those guys at the expense of some of the younger guys coming through.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Get full time coaches, this full time piece has run its part.

I don't think Larkhams up to the task, Brumbies displayed nothing this year which suggested to me that Larkhams attacking talent was rubbing off on the players or there attacking skills had improved on that of 12 months ago.

Likewise with the defensive coach,Wallabies defence is simply rubbish, missed tackles are exacerbated by poor defensive alignments.

Cheika, don't sack him, but he needs to adjust his mentality for how the Wallabies should play and make selections accordingly.

What Cheika needs most is the managerial courage and insight to totally rebuild his coaching team, and very quickly. The only two support coaches, on results, worth keeping are possibly Ledesma and most certainly Byrne (who must be wondering what he's got himself in for).

The Wallabies would be way better off without Larkham (who's wildly over-regarded by the ARU and Brumbies, it's all nostalgia), Grey appears to have inexplicably severely declined in capability, I'm convinced the team needs a dedicated forwards coach with strong technical skills in line out, and a dedicated kicking coach. Byrne should be made free enough to focus on the whole skills base within the team, not just kicking.

The emerging doubt is whether Chieka is recklessly tied to a dangerous personal combination of excessive loyalty, ego (mitigating against admitting serious errors in management) and simple inexperience at this level all leading a kind of numbed paralysis within the Wallaby coaching group.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm convinced the team needs a dedicated forwards coach with strong technical skills in line out

LaurieFisher.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.