• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How to fix the wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it is possible to fix the problem, without a doubt, but my solutions would be very unpopular with may of those rusted on type fans and its not a quick fix like buying a big name player or signing a popular ex-player as a coach.

Out of curiosity, what is/are your solution/s?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is not the rules that have turned the fans away, it has been the style of play and sometimes the ineptness of performance. If the Wallabies start winning consistently and play a good style whilst doing it the crowds will come back.

Good point. Most NZ Super sides and the All Blacks are playing an enjoyable brand of rugby, and also pulling in the fans under the current rules.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good point. Most NZ Super sides and the All Blacks are playing an enjoyable brand of rugby, and also pulling in the fans under the current rules.

The standard of rugby seems to be higher at all levels of the game in New Zealand, than it is here. New Zealanders pretty much all grow up surrounded by one game and its rules. Rugby.

Our kids grow up surrounded by one game, pretty much, either AFL or loig. Totally different rules, some similarities (in the case of loig), but also some huge differences.

The fact that New Zealanders accept the rules and grow up understanding them and exploiting them does not prove that we can. We can't, either on or off the field.

The fact that the Laws of the Game (of rugby) do not come naturally to us is nicely illustrated by the introduction of the "Australian Dispensation" some years ago which allowed us to play our domestic rugby under a significantly different rule than the rest of the world, with kicking out on the full only allowed from within the 25 yard line (as it then was).

Some of the old fogeys of the game will still remember those days of 10 man rugby very fondly. That does not prove that the old rule was right.

Who except rugby diehards wants to watch a game decided by, for example, the ability of one side or another to "win the scrum contest"? Particularly when the arbiter of this "contest" is a match official who has never put his head into a scrum in his life, and does not really know what the fark is going on?

And speaking of scrums, when is the last time you saw the ball fed into the centre of the scrum? My loig loving neighbour laughs about our hypocrisy, and who can blame him?

And don't try explaining the rules governing the breakdown and the adjudicating thereof to anybody. Even tragics like me. Its a lottery. And a shambles.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wannna fix the wallabies stop doing crap like this. http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/09/06/05/36/koroibete-on-wallabies-fast-track

we have no idea weather this guy can play rugby. None. Zero. Zip. I i was a young kid in the NRC getting paid sweet nothing being told your part of a development system i'd seriously be thinking whats the point.

Not quite no idea - just old information plus his league form.
The 24-year-old played the 15-man game in Fiji and attended the same school as fellow Rebels outside back Sefa Naivalu, who has been training with the Wallabies and becomes eligible to play later this month.
However he hasn't played rugby since moving to Australia and starting his league career with Wests Tigers in 2011.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
we have no idea weather this guy can play rugby. None. Zero. Zip. I i was a young kid in the NRC getting paid sweet nothing being told your part of a development system i'd seriously be thinking whats the point.

If the young guy on the wing in the NRC thinks they could walk into the NRL and be one of the star wingers in the competition they are almost certainly deluded.

I don't agree in any way with Korobeite getting fast tracked to the Wallabies but this notion that someone toiling away at a lower level is in rugby is more deserving of higher honours just doesn't mesh with professional sport in my opinion.

What's the point for that young guy in the NRC? Trying to get a contract to play the game as a full time professional. They have to be good enough to be offered that next step though.

Korobeite isn't really a high risk play by the ARU. It will be pretty surprising if he isn't genuinely pushing for Wallaby selection in his first Super Rugby season. He played rugby as a kid and plays in the position where it is easiest to make the transition between the games.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
One of the ways that the ARU cab subsidise the Rebels as well.

Strategically timportant contract. Hopefully they can find some for the force as well

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

I thought attendance at games in NZ are down and have been for some time? Auckland looks worse than Suncorp from the times I've seen it on tv.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Are there any huge hard men capable of playing prop, hooker, lock and 8 out there? League men, country rugby, overseas players? Buy them. Immediately.
That's our priority now. Fix the first phase possession and breakdown issue and the test team will start winning.
Simultaneously, invest more $ and time into club junior rugby to boost playing and coaching numbers to fix our long term decline.
I'd like to see public school rugby boosted too but sadly feel we let that horse bolt too long ago for it to be caught.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought attendance at games in NZ are down and have been for some time? Auckland looks worse than Suncorp from the times I've seen it on tv.

Haven't looked at official stats - perhaps the crowds I've seen are just those in line with the camera angle!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think teenagers and other players u20 have to stop being granted immediate entry to super rugby squads. For example the Crusaders just signed a 'young dynamic backrow'. If that was in AUS you'd automatically assume he was a teenager eg...scottyoung, wilkins, fakasolia, leota...but no! he is 23. The same age as when our teenage 'stars' are deemed not going to make it...thinking browning, quirk, schatz,

I'd much rather bring over a superfreak, highly successful, rare profile of a player of 24 and see how he goes, then prematurely drag in a teenager and say, ok you did ok in Aus u20, now go try and tackle Etzebeth.

Let the young guys sign with the states as a part of their u20 squads ( like rodda and mason did at the Reds) and play their NRC, play their Aus u20 if good enough, and maybe get a some game time at Super Rugby level.

Saw some people calling for Hanigan and Dempsey to be included in wallaby squad...Hanigan has had 2 epic NRC games, let the guy actually even earn a bench spot at Super Rugby first, he is still only a kid.

By letting the young guys follow the correct pathway, it means we can still keep an eye out for slightly older guys who perhaps didn't shine at Schoolboy and u20 levels especially in the Backrows, an area where we are swamped with either open side flankers, or 'work rate' backrowers at 6 ft 2 & 105 kg, neither tall enough to be an effective 6 or damaging enough to be an effective 8.

Is Harley Fox at the Rising/Rebels reallllllly better then Sam Ward at the Eagles?

Is Scottyoung reallllly as dominant at this time as Naisarani at Brisbane City?

Is Brad Wilkins realllly as beneficial to the Tahs compared to perhaps Havilii from the Spirit or Viiga from the Rams? They already have Wells and Hooper, do they really need a 3rd lightweight backrower when there are monsters like that running around, with good experience and impact just itching to be the new Palu

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I'd much rather bring over a superfreak, highly successful, rare profile of a player of 24 and see how he goes, then prematurely drag in a teenager and say, ok you did ok in Aus u20, now go try and tackle Etsebeth.

The same Etsebeth who played for the Boks at the age of 20? Brodie Retallick is another top lock who broke into the ABs at about the same age. Age has got nothing to do with it. If you are good enough, you are old enough. If Akira Ioane was available, I bet he would be in the Wallabies squad, and you would be cheering him.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, utr, the minimum NPC Salary is $18,000 NZD

Maximum NRC Salary is $5000 AUD. That's a $12.5k AUD difference between the worst paid NPC player and the best paid non-Super Player in the NRC.

Much much easier from 18-23 to stay without a Super Contract, between Study or Part Time work, an NPC salary and whatever beer money they pick up in the offseason/club season.

That's a big discrepancy. Nothing but admiration for the blokes who stick around without contracts, but money talks, and securing talent, from the lures of League and from Europe is important.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yeah, utr, the minimum NPC Salary is $18,000 NZD

Maximum NRC Salary is $5000 AUD. That's a $12.5k AUD difference between the worst paid NPC player and the best paid non-Super Player in the NRC.

Much much easier from 18-23 to stay without a Super Contract, between Study or Part Time work, an NPC salary and whatever beer money they pick up in the offseason/club season.

That's a big discrepancy. Nothing but admiration for the blokes who stick around without contracts, but money talks, and securing talent, from the lures of League and from Europe is important.

100% money talks. Totally agree with you. As a complete amatuer, I look at the who I would sign, I have a bunch of squad spots to fill, (probably not starters) and in front of me I have a choice..pick a 21yr club player who is killing it in the NRC, or pick a 19 year old player who is not killing it in the NRC, but has been in and around the traps. I'd go for the guy who is actually performing.

I'm worried that too many guys who have not been in and around the right circles but could be far more effective could potentially be missing out for guys with far less potential, but are in the right circles. Playing in the right teams, playing for the right coaches, playing in the right age cohort.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Wing is bloody wing. We drafted in Sailor, Rogers, and Tuqiri and they showed some of our blokes what professional fitness and application looked like. They had their flaws, but name someone who was better than them at the time.

Now look at our wing stocks. We've got busted-arse old man Mitchell riding the pine as the only "wing" in the squad for two Bledisloe games. Before Morahan came back, the others were all fullbacks or centres!

No gas. Need gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.