• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC Sevens 2018-19

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Its only reasonable in a theoretical sense.
Look at him.
You have any confidence he could make a one on one tackle with anyone in the Fijian squad?

If he was an absolute freak with the ball in hand,you might try your luck with him.
But he’s no freak.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's been some talk around future NZ7's including a Women's leg, which probably means they have to take it off Sydney. Are you guys hearing anything? Ideally I'd like to see the hosting of the double-Leg alternate between NZ & Aus, not too sure how practical that is, tho.

Also being reported that total ticket sales were higher this year than last with the "full house" sign going up on Sunday c.f. last year where neither day fully sold out. Great effort considering there was a reggae festival over the hill in Tauranga both days & ODI2 v India at Mt Maunganui on Saturday.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ WR (World Rugby) say you can't run 3-day Legs on consecutive weekends so you've either got to pick one of Sydney or Hamilton or if you want both move one of them.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ WR (World Rugby) say you can't run 3-day Legs on consecutive weekends so you've either got to pick one of Sydney or Hamilton or if you want both move one of them.

Again, not necessarily.

There are more than two ways to skin a cat. I'll throw one thought-bubble out here …

So let's have a look at these mixed tournaments. Why are they three days? I'd suggest one of the reasons is that they play every game on the one field. It's convenient but does cram the schedule.
  • What if they hive off some lower profile matches (from both m/w tournaments) onto an adjoining field? This method is not unprecedented. Allow spectators to move if they wish but keep the big crowd draw games and Cup final brackets on the main field and get some extra cameras next door for the "nothing" matches. Two days. Done.
Or maybe they look at making an exception for the travel turn-around. It's not like they're flying between continents - it's a 3hr flight and some road movement.

Or maybe they move one of the dates. ;)

The obstacles aren't immovable mountains to hosting a couple of 7s tourneys.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Another option at least for next year would be to move both events a week earlier and play the NZ event on Friday-Sunday and the Aussie event on Saturday-Monday (Australia Day long weekend).

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Another option at least for next year would be to move both events a week earlier and play the NZ event on Friday-Sunday and the Aussie event on Saturday-Monday (Australia Day long weekend).

I’m strongly against doing it a Australia Day long weekend, you’re just eliminating a huge amount of your supporter base

southsider

Arch Winning (36)

I just can’t see a logical reason to move it to Hamilton unless there’s other factors like scheduling conflicts with 15’s etc

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’m strongly against doing it a Australia Day long weekend, you’re just eliminating a huge amount of your supporter base

I'm not saying I think it's a good idea. It's just a realistic option is WR (World Rugby) were going to have back to back three day series in NZ and Australia but also keep their existing rule where there has to be 6 days between tournaments.

Do that many people really go away over that long weekend though?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Aussie men's team for Sydney 7s
1. Henry Hutchison, Randwick, 19 caps
2. Simon Kennewell, Randwick, 12 caps
3. Michael Wells, Norths (Sydney), 4 caps
4. Lewis Holland (c), Queanbeyan, 41 caps
5. Ben O’Donnell, Randwick, 12 caps
6. John Porch, Norths (Sydney), 20 caps
7. Jeral Skelton, Brothers, 7 caps
8. Jesse Parahi, Norths (Sydney), 47 caps
9. Josh Coward, Sunnybank, 1 cap
10. Nick Malouf, University of Queensland, 25 caps
11. Maurice Longbottom, Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team, 9 caps
12. Lachie Anderson, Eastwood, 19 caps

One name on that list is clearly going to raise some eyebrows o_O

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not saying I think it's a good idea. It's just a realistic option is WR (World Rugby) were going to have back to back three day series in NZ and Australia but also keep their existing rule where there has to be 6 days between tournaments.

Do that many people really go away over that long weekend though?

A huge amount of families do

I wasn’t even thinking about that though tbh, 7’s circuits also rely heavily on a young adult supporter base, you’d lose a lot of supporters who have annual Australia Day celebrations etc and you wouldn’t really gain anyone extra by having it on a Australia Day weekend

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
One name on that list is clearly going to raise some eyebrows o_O

Coach Tim Walsh has rewarded Hamilton debutant Josh Coward with a second straight start in Sydney after an impressive outing last weekend.

This quote is very much at odds from all reports I've seen from the weekends event...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Longbottom couldn't tackle last year either but is much improved this year.

We definitely need more playmaking.

I guess we need to wait and see. This squad is clearly a work in progress and whilst some players are very good we are sorely lacking in certain areas and don't have a lot of depth.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Longbottom defensive capabilities looked poorer last year because he played with Stannard.

And he added much more with the ball in hand than this guy.

It’s one thing to have him in the squad, it’s another to pick him sans massive injuries ( where is Lucas btw)

The possession game seems to be what they are most comfortable playing, so he doesn’t fit that style.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
People also don’t know that Longbottoms main sport wasn’t even footy before he got signed, it was oztag. He went from playing crappy park league similar to subbies and playing oztag to playing on the international stage within a few months. Can’t blame him for having a few defensive issues, he is doing pretty well defensively considering

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Longbottom couldn't tackle last year either but is much improved this year.

We definitely need more playmaking.

I guess we need to wait and see. This squad is clearly a work in progress and whilst some players are very good we are sorely lacking in certain areas and don't have a lot of depth.

In the games last week the opposition really tried to go at him. I thought he did pretty well. It is probably a tactic of trying to go through him and also to tire him out to blunt the attack.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Saw a couple of teams training on the way home yesterday on Lidcombe Oval. My phone said it was 42 degrees at the time. They were all blowing pretty hard.

Red training jerseys?