• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC Sevens 2018-19

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ if you're referring to the "it went back" call in the leadup to Blyde's try, I agree. Yellow was a fair call, though & Green should probably have copped one at the end, too.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Thought the yellow was harsh af, legit contest, eyes for the ball, nz girl just landed poorly and got no support from team mates.

Greens hit should’ve been yellow

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IMG_0843.JPG

NZ, USA (both 76) & Fiji (72) have opened up a big lead at top of men's table:

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/mens?series=28

Top four qualify automatically for Olympics, the race for fourth is gunna get interesting (England are Team GB's official qualification entry).

IMG_0844.JPG

NZ women extend their lead, top-four looking fairly clear-cut but finishing order far from being so:

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/standings/womens

Next men's leg is Las Vegas from 1 March, women's Kitakyushu (Japan) from 20 April.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ok my reading of the Aussie side of things.

The Women:

- made the final but are so far behind the kiwis it's not funny. We seem very disjointed at the moment and missing stars like Caslick, Parry and (particularly) Cherry is a big factor in this. Chloe Dalton to AFL is a HUGE loss too. Also I reckon Tonegato and Quirk look off their game at the moment (acknowledging this was Emma's first tournament back).

Vani Pelite is the star of the team at the moment by some way. Sykes was awesome in the first couple of tournaments before being injured. She was getting back to her best this weekend. Ellia Green is a machine - you can see we are trying to get more out of her but she's an incredible impact player.

I think the teenagers Dick and Paki have huge potential but showed their inexperience. I like Dick as a future replacement for Parry and Williams, which is an area I'm concerned about. She just doesn't have their game smarts yet. I fear Williams (and I guess Parry when she gets back) is just getting too old and slow. She still showed some class but was caught out on occasions too.

Dom du Toit is still young but has been around the squad for a while. I'm just not convinced she is offering enough at the moment. Her mistake rate is too high and I don't think she creates as much as she should. I really like Treherne but she was quieter than normal while McGregor and Meakes didn't bring much to the table.

Its a shame there are ongoing fitness (I assume) issues with Mahalia Murphy as I think shes a wonderful talent. In all the squad balance just doesn't see right, but that would change substantially with a couple of those star players back.

The Men:

A bloody frustrating tournament in beating and pushing two of the top teams (South Africa and Fiji) but then losing games we should have won (Argentina). Showed a lot of heart in the first South Africa win and the one over France (even the last loss to SAF) especially considering injuries.

Lewis Holland had probably one of the worst games I've seen him play and yet still scored two crucial tries v South Africa on Saturday evening. He missed a number of tackles and dropped the ball too. That was a brilliant performance all around though and Coward and Skelton was fantastic. Skelton in particular came of age this tournament, somewhat. I wasn't sure what he brought to the squad but I saw it this weekend.

Losing BOD, Longbottom and Coward (and whatever happened to Holland) on Sunday put us under enormous pressure so we showed great heart to overcome that. Even Malouf who looked like he needed to be replaced and then pulled off a huge hit to secure the turnover was indicative of the commitment of the team.

Hutchison was another who impressed. This was his best performance since returning from XVs. Unfortunately Porch had one of his poorest tournaments, at the wrong time. I was fairly unimpressed with Wells although he helped toughen up the break down. Lachie Anderson had to many turnovers as well.

All in all for a team that I don't think is as good as the top 4, but at least they showed they can mix with them which should give them heart moving forward.

rugbyfan1966

Frank Row (1)
He was given the ball with no one in front of him,and wasn't run down.

He worked to put pressure on a pass that led to a turnover.

Neither involved contact.

His first contact today,he was monstered and injured.

The criticisms of his selection,is not about his speed or understanding of the game, it's his slight size.
He can't compete physically at this level,at his current weight.

Its probably the reason why they are keeping in the program...he has all the talent and ball skills....its not hard to bulk someone up at that professional level.

Plus id like to see who wouldn't get injured after having 100kg+ come down on them with their foot bent underneath the way Coward did.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
well lucky they didnt wait do that because then they probably wouldnt of even made it qualify for the Sydney 7s cup quarter finals :)
He scored a try, with no one to beat, and a 5 metre head start.

There are literally hundred of school kids in the country that would have scored that.

No doubt he’ll be picked again,happy to discuss the merits of his performance then.

rugbyfan1966

Frank Row (1)
He scored a try, with no one to beat, and a 5 metre head start.

There are literally hundred of school kids in the country that would have scored that.

No doubt he’ll be picked again,happy to discuss the merits of his performance then.

Heres a recap of the try just so you can understand how it actually went...cause from what you just said it clearly looks like you werent watching the game

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not a good game from Rocket Rod against France in Vancouver 7's. Made a critical fumble and just seem to struggle to understand how to get involved as sat more out like traditional 15's winger.

Early days.....but Aussie 7's lost to France not a good start. But brilliant game to see Spain 7's team first ever win over NZ. Canada also caused an upset beating Fiji.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Aside from our poor loss to France, I've been impressed with the Aussie ref Jordan Way. Never heard of him, but he seems decent, nice to have more solid refs.

Also, the American commentators are just a different species to ours, such an emphasis on entertainment, weird but good so far.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Details tbc☆ but WR (World Rugby) have found a way for both Sydney & NZ (which may be Hamilton one year, Fiji the next) to host a combined men's & women's Leg from 2019/20:

https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/news/405911

* 10-Leg men's Series
* 8-Leg women's Series
* 6 Legs combined men's & women's
* 9 men's host venues re-confirmed, USA venue tbc (hope it stays in LV or at least in same time zone & has same format)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ent-could-alternate-between-hamilton-and-fiji

☆ reading the second article it looks like they're planning on NZ being a two-day tournament which suggests a secondary venue for "lesser" matches.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Men's Qualifier Pools:

Pool A: HK, Tonga, Zimbabwe, Philippines (!)
Pool B: Ireland, Russia, Uruguay, Jamaica
Pool C: Chile, Germany, Uganda, Cook Islands (resident population ~18K)

Women's Qualifier Pools:

Pool A: Japan, Scotland, Belgium, Mexico
Pool B: Kenya, PNG, HK, Uganda
Pool C: Argentina, Kazakhstan (!), Brazil, Poland