• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC World Womens Sevens R3 - Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The weekend after next the Womens Sevens Series will have its 3rd round in Atlanta at the same time as the men are having their 7th in Hong Kong.

I know there is not much interest in women's rugby in the forum, but if you don't have time to view both, but want to watch the Aussie team more likely to get a gold medal in Rio, watch the women.

There is a blog on the Aussie Pearls here:

Give it a click.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well, Sevens is on Fox Sports, but the women get only the the Plate Final, 3rd/4th play off and Cup Final on TV. The ARU mentions that there is live-streaming from World Rugby.

Can that be seen not-live? Dunno - has anybody tried streaming on that site?

The men get full TV coverage. Typical.

The women have used only 14 players in their two events this year but there are four changes from Sao Paulo for Atlanta, three of whom are retuning from injuries.

Tiana Penitani (11 caps) and Brooke Walker (1) have not played in the current series but Chloe Dalton (7) is fit again after breaking her arm in Dubai.

The fourth addition is 18 year-old rookie Dominique du Toit. She looked an outstanding prospect in Sydney in the friendlies against Ireland, and reports mentioned her as being impressive in the friendlies against NZ at Knox. Coach Walsh reckons she has a great future and so do I.

The four replace injured players Taleena Simon (shoulder), Gemma Etheridge (knee), Ellia Green (shoulder) - and Nicole Beck.

The team will lose a lot of experience with the last-three named and Green's x-factor will be missed also.

PS - There are still no reports from Team Rehab about skipper Sharni Williams, who damaged a knee in Dubai in December.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wifey & I are friends with Amy Turner's mum & step-dad who are committed to being in Rio. Hopefully she keeps playing well enough to make the team, it'd be a shame for Lenore & Pete to have worked their asses off to fund the trip & Amy not make the cut.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Cup SF:

NZ 24-19 England
Australia 26-14 Canada

Final at 10:10 AEST

Plate Final USA v Russia
Bowl Final Japan v Ireland

T

TOCC

Australia 19-7 New Zealand at halftime in the grand final

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Another great win by the Aussie girls. This team is brilliant.

Still get the job done withoit Ellia Green and Sharni Williams.

Good to have Chloe Dalton back from injury.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's time for Aus and NZ to get a couple of tournaments on this tour.

2017?

One each is probably too optimistic but if Wellington are serious about reviving their moribund tournament they could do worse than running a round of pool matches on Friday night to create a window for the business end of a women's comp on the Sunday (pool matches would have to be played elsewhere, there being no #2 ground: Arena Manawatu is only ~90 min up the road).

Congrats to the Aussie women, too good for us again

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Probably. If they only gave Oceania one women's tourny, Sydney (as proffered by Pulver) would probably get it.

But there's not a lot of doubling up of men's and women's world sevens events at the same venue at the moment -- USA don't do it, and not at Hong Kong or London anymore. Canada might be the only one. <edit: not them either>

So if Sydney already sells out anyway, then maybe they should sell another event's worth of tickets:

Weekend 1: Cake tin (men), Ballymore (women)

Weekend 2: SFS (men)

;)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Probably. If they only gave Oceania one women's tourny, Sydney (as proffered by Pulver) would probably get it.

But there's not a lot of doubling up of men's and women's events at the same venue at the moment -- USA don't do it, and not at Hong Kong or London anymore. Canada might be the only one. <edit: not them either>

So if Sydney already sells out anyway, then maybe they should sell another event's worth of tickets:

Weekend 1: Cake tin (men), Ballymore (women)

Weekend 2: SFS (men)

;)

Ballymore has had the 7s before. I'd like to see it tried in Melbourne or Perth.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So long as it's before AFL is on, that might have a chance.

But it's women's sevens. And if it's a stand alone event, Brisbane or Sydney, perhaps even Auckland, would be better bets for attendance.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These women are playing some seriously good rugby, and every effort should be made to get their finals in front of big crowds, using the "pauses" in the draw of the men's competitions.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty sure Pulver has already said the ARU have applied to WR (World Rugby) to have women's tournament in Sydney next year alongside the men's. Makes sense cause it would open up the weekend to include the Friday night and get our women's team playing in front of 40,000 people at a time. Plenty of adjacent fields to fit in some games.

T

TOCC

How would they run a women's tournament alongside the Sydney Seven's?

Atlanta Seven's had 34 games, 34 games with a 16min window for each game is roughly 9 extra hours of playing time on top of the 12 hours the men currently take. It would need be split across 3 days of 7 hours just to fit all the games in...

Sure you could use an adjacent field, but which one, the SCG or the Moore Park training paddock? Both not ideal for various reasons. How would the broadcasters receive that, which teams play on which fields?

I like the idea of the women playing alongside the men, but there is a reason it doesn't occur now. Logistically it's a nightmare.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
They managed to run the qualifers tourney alongside the main event in Hong Kong for the past 3 days mate.

A no mean feat

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hire the SCG as well. GA Tickets to day 1 of the event allow free transfer from SFS to SCG, or even to watch Shute Shield Club 7's on Bus Loop or Kippax Oval.

Stuff it, go the Full Monty and run a School Boys/School Girls 7's tournament on the SBHS ovals in Centennial Park as well.

Hire someone from the Australian Open Tennis. They seem capable of organising a tournament across multiple venues. Some of their fixtures draw a decent crowd, many don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.