• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes move to private ownership

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The Wellington-based Hurricanes Super Rugby franchise is the first to settle with a new owner 10 months after the New Zealand Rugby Union put out the call for potential bidders.
The new entity, Hurricanes Investments LP, will be half-owned by the Wellington Rugby Football Union, a quarter held by former Brierley Investments boss Paul Collins, and the remainder divvied up between Wellington Phoenix operators Welnix and interests associated with Liz Dawson and Colin Oldfield, the NZRU said in a statement.
The franchise runs for three years, with a five-year right of renewal. No value was given for the franchises.

That's a lot of investors.

http://news.brisbanetimes.com.au/br...mbraces-private-ownership-20121112-297ij.html

EDIT: a better article. Outlines the Crusaders are also a step close.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10846794

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
So the NZRU retains ownership, the contracting process and coaching appointments. Doesn't really look like a good deal.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I teand to agree Badger, wondered if they would sell any franchises with restrictions placed on them re coaching players etc, but appears to be some good business heads amongst them, so they must of seen something. Word is Crusaders will be sold in next while and Blues and Chiefs not until next year.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
here in 2014 now and the drums must be beating to kick Hammett curbside by now. 3 games in and they've lost all 3. Admittedly 2 in hostile Bokkistan and 1 against playing thru- finalists the Bumberries.

The defense at least looks switched on but goddamn, the attack, it looks like the------ Crusaders. And Hammett, as a Crusader----oh shit.

Takes over perennial semi-finalists and their supposedly rotten culture, biffs out bad apples Nonu, Hore and Weepu and then spends the next 3 years coming-------- 10th. Caketin empties out. How's your culture now? ANY culture is better than a culture of turning perennial semi-finalists into perennial 10th placers you big dumbarse. Fuck bad apples, I'd rather eat them than eat a stinking caketin. Uh, you know what I mean.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Man as a Canes man I know exactly your sentiments DP, I not sure what culture he has changed, maybe it's the one where you want to win games, and have people come and watch you!!

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Concerns me that they didn't feel comfortable releasing a valuation of their newly acquired assets (from a business perspective)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Must be some industrial axle grease on Leiua there. Nothing else could explain the Crusaders inability to remotely stick to him. Even slid along the ground.

M

Muttonbird

Individual brilliance can win a few games here and there but not a tournament.

M

Muttonbird

Hammett now off to spread his particular brand of mediocrity at Cardiff. He'll probably begin by sacking the best players as a way of stamping his authority upon the team.

Get ready for mid-table, Cardiff fans.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wellington Hurricanes 2015 Preview
80bb58cd-07e3-4876-a06c-e60851997845_zps85f8e163.jpg
The good news for Canes fans is that Mark Hammett is GONE and the Canes now have a new coach!
His name is Chris Boyd.
REJOICE!

moses5.jpg

"Fear not, Wainui bogans, I am here offering salvation!"
-- Chris Boyd, the new coach.

moses4.jpg

"Fear not, goat thing. Here, strike a pose with me."

moses3.jpg

"This trident squiggle thing here? It spells 'p-l-a-y-o-f-f-s'"

moses2.jpg

"The tablet bears The Prophecy. I shall guard the tablet from the Cantabrians. They always stuff up all of our plans. Is that them I see over there on the horizon? I think it might be. I hate them! I hate them all!"

mosesHeston2703_468x611.jpg

"The Prophecy shall guide me to The Caketin. I have seen the light. I have seen the lights of The Caketin! I can see it over there! Or maybe it's just a passing car? Oh never mind. It was just a passing car."

Oops, hold that thought.......

The new coach, Mr Chris Boyd, taking over from "Mr Super Culture but 3 Years of Coming 10th" Mark Hammett, just got the Wellington NPC team relegated?

The Canes usual half-arsed pre-season training is now in full swing but really, who needs it when, as usual, the Canes starting backline looks like basically the goddamn All Blacks:

9 TJ Perenara
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma'a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Cory Jane
15 Matt Proctor

NZRFU edict should have been issued by now, decreeing that numbers 11 through 13 should be rested at all times, to preserve their health prior to a certain friendly afternoon rugby trip abroad to England planned for October.

The Forwards:

1 Ben Franks
2 Dane Coles
3 Jeffery Toomaga-Allen
4 Jeremy Thrush
5 James Broadhurst
6 Brad Shields
7 Ardie Savea
8 Victor Vito

Are those loosies nasty enough? Are the locks violent enough? The last couple of seasons have shown they're kind of not.

Maybe with Nonu back (now that dickface Hammett is gone) they can bring back the shitty team culture that saw them perennial semi-finalists for all those years haha piss off Hammett

vegascane

Chris McKivat (8)
what happened to this bloke, made the AB's pre-injury but is now languishing in the subs?

Jeff had a knee surgery last August and sat out the NPC and the End of Year tour. He injured it in the a club playoff game against Wainui. He's still getting up to speed for Super rugby, won't be too long though. Reg has been a great replacement to fill in plus Eves and May are also there as back ups. Plenty of back up for the front row in the Canes squad.