• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hurricanes Vs. Waratahs @ Wellington Round 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I couldn't find a match thread for this game, and am always interested in the thoughts of the people on this fine forum :)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
You guys have such little faith in the Hurricanes.

As a staunch kiwi rugby supporter, I know that the Hurricane collapse is just around the corner. It really should have happened a few weeks back but I know the Canes just won't let us down.

I spose next thing you'll be saying is 'The Hurricanes could win it all this year'

haha, haha - you guys have such a great sense of humor! But I shall back the Hurricanes to not disappoint.

Disappoint me - the die-hard Blues fan :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hurricanes have been the Waratahs of the New Zealand Rugby scene since Super Rugby started. They promise a hell of a lot with an exciting roster full of potential, win a few games to keep the faithful faithful, and then have the wheels fall off in mid season and eventually stagger across the line with no hope of even making the GF to have a lash at the chocolates, when they are handing out tickets to the Fat Shiela's Opera.

The Tahs fan knows the template so very well. Perhaps this is the year of the Hurricane, but I reckon Split Enz got it wrong with their song History Never Repeats.

The annual Hurricane cycle has been scarily similar to the Tahs since whenever. That is what is going to make this match so exciting.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Waratahs team to play the Hurricanes.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tolu Latu
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Will Skelton
5. Dave Dennis (c)
6. Pat McCutcheon
7. Michael Hooper (vc)
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Nick Phipps
10. Bernard Foley
11. Rob Horne
12. Kurtley Beale
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (vc)
14. Peter Betham
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-nau
17. Jeremy Tilse
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Jacques Potgieter
20. Mitch Chapman
21. Stephen Hoiles
22. Brendan McKibbin
23. Matt Carraro
24. David Horwitz
25. Jed Holloway

2 to be omitted.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Victor Vito is out with a calf injury and Danes Coles is still out, but Ardie Savea has made an early recovery and will be starting.

We'll see if the Canes fall over. The backline is wonderful, the forwards..........look good so far.........

Canes
Nehe Milner-Skudder, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith (capt), Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Brad Shields, Ardie Savea, Callum Gibbins, James Broadhurst, Jeremy Thrush, Ben Franks, Moto Matu'u, Reggie Goodes. Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Chris Eves, Mark Abbott, Adam Hill, Frae Wilson, Rey Lee-Lo, James Marshall.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting the Canes going with 2 opensides, still Blade Thomson also still injured so Shields needed at 8.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Tahs are going to get stomped. Canes are in blistering form.

In the game before the bye the Stormers beat them everywhere but on the scoreboard, thanks to a few howlers by those officiating. If we use the Stormers as a benchmark this game will be very even.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The biggest thing the Tahs need to improve are their one on one tackling and limiting mistakes.

All the losses this year have been on the back of soft tries either through a single missed tackle or a mistake on attack leading to a runaway try.

We'll get our chances in this game. We just can't be chasing too many points given away through mistakes that the Hurricanes will certainly capitalise on.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Tahs scored quite a few tries last year on the fast break.
This year,they are being punished by it.
IF,they don't give away 14 points like they did last week,they can pressure points and a win from the Canes.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I hope he goes well but McCutcheon over Hoiles is just weird.

The great Cheik does some weird things in selection. The "pick 25 and then cut two" strategy we see every week genuinely confuses me.

I am guessing that McCutcheon is a Hurricanes-specific selection to provide more flanker cover against the potent Hurricanes backline - I note that the Cans are playing two openside flankers too. Cutch's strengths seem to lie in the defensive part of the game.

Unless Foley is carrying a knock and is doubtful for the game, why is Horwitz in the 25 this week? Has he jumped over both Lance and Volavola? Would we really start Horwitz over Volavola at 10 after last year's NRC?

And will Holloway ever get a chance to start his Super career at the Tahs?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
In the game before the bye the Stormers beat them everywhere but on the scoreboard, thanks to a few howlers by those officiating. If we use the Stormers as a benchmark this game will be very even.

A few is a bit of an understatement.

Just don't kick the fooken thing to the back three. Don't. Kick it all the way out to the shithouse.

Go up the middle. That's what the Stomps did after half time. Canes weren't enjoying tackling on the inside channel and around the edges. It opened their defense up.

Kick badly and you will lose.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
The great Cheik does some weird things in selection. The "pick 25 and then cut two" strategy we see every week genuinely confuses me.

I am guessing that McCutcheon is a Hurricanes-specific selection to provide more flanker cover against the potent Hurricanes backline - I note that the Cans are playing two openside flankers too. Cutch's strengths seem to lie in the defensive part of the game.

Unless Foley is carrying a knock and is doubtful for the game, why is Horwitz in the 25 this week? Has he jumped over both Lance and Volavola? Would we really start Horwitz over Volavola at 10 after last year's NRC?

And will Holloway ever get a chance to start his Super career at the Tahs?
Horwitz has been very good for Randwick this year. A very physical fly half with a great fend. He seems to have come a long way and is obviously ahead of the Lance and Volavola who are both playing for their clubs this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.