• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Ideas for Australian Rugby Union

• Thread starter Sydney Wallabies
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sydney Wallabies

Imagine you are ARU CEO for a day.

Considering the threat GWS, the second Sydney AFL team has on rugby heartlands.

What things would you do to improve rugby in this city and country?

Post your ideas and discussions below.

S

Sydney Wallabies

I definitely agree with cheaper tickets.

The Tri Nations ticket prices have been nothing short of extortion in recent years.

I like the idea of kids who wear their club jerseys get in free.

I'd also like to see greater engagement with schools as well.

I am not just talking about the private school sector where the game is king but government schools as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
As to improving it in the country, going to the S15, with more local games will help immensely. Australians, particularly only borderline rugby fans really only associate with rugby played against other australian sides, and to a lesser extent against kiwi sides. Having such a short season, where many games were played outside our prime time viewing hours was not conducive to growing the game in this country. The S15 format will be a big step.

Adding Argentina to the 3N will also add interest in rugby, however I would also consider it good to push for another international competition every 4 years, such as a pacific championship or southern hemisphere championship. The pacific islands plus the americas, japan and china for instance.

We need to play on our strengths - that is the wallaby brand and being the only true international team sport after sookball, while strengthening our club/provincial competition with more games and more games at the right times that will increase the number of true rugby supporters (rather than just ones that watch a bledisloe game).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Saturday afternoon S15 & test matches.

For the Tahs free buses from town to the SFS for Friday night matches, there are 350,000 working in the Sydney CBD, make it easier for them to get to the ground

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Saturday afternoon S15 & test matches.

Beat me by about 5 minutes. For God's sake, play in the afternoon in Canberra. The people are usually cool with the climate, but how many more people would go to an arvo game when it hasn't sunk to about 5 degrees?

And the Tests too. They've played in the morning in SA, it's worth a shot for us too in my opinion.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Have representative curtain raisers like in the old days, instead of boring warm up sessions...

I'm with you on this one, but I think there's something in the competition rules about using the main ground for 30 mins warm-ups. Warming-up elsewhere at the SFS shouldn't be a problem, there's the cricket net area and a few other green patches nearby.

Ham

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lower the ticket prices and I would go see the Tahs every week.

Saturday afternoon matches will conflict too much with club rugby. Sunday afternoon matches would be great. It works for League so why not for us?

S

Sydney Wallabies

Lower the ticket prices and I would go see the Tahs every week.

Saturday afternoon matches will conflict too much with club rugby. Sunday afternoon matches would be great. It works for League so why not for us?

Friday night would be a good option as well.

Not only would people who work in the city and North Sydney be able to go to games straight after work, TV executives would love it as well.

A 7:30pm kickoff on a Friday night would be brilliant.

It works a treat for league so I can't see why it wouldn't work in rugby.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
More financial incentive from the ARU to take some Tahs Games out west. Coincide it with a shute shield local derby between Penrith and Parramatta and make that the curtain raiser. Play on the rivalry between these two areas.

A mass injection of junior development programs into the public school system that is coordinated with all the clubs out that way.

Cheaper playing fees for junior players

Cheaper tickets for test matches with an emphasis on cheaper family tickets.

A bigger presence of high profile players in the promotional sense.

S

Sydney Wallabies

I like that idea Ruggo,

A game at CUA or Parramatta Stadium and have a Two Blues and Emus game as a curtain raiser for a Tahs game is brilliant.

The one way to get more kids into the rugby system out west is to get more Wallabies playing for Parramatta and Penrith at club level.

It's now become beyond a joke that Sydney University get all the top talent when none of them are even studying at the university.

Although Eastwood is now a key part of keeping the Gay FL people at bay even seeing them so successful over the years is tedious.

Cheaper junior rego and cheaper family tickets is also brilliant as well.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Some advertising for kids to actually play rugby might help. A lot of you here are probably too young / weren't born in the early '90s when they had the "hit and run" rugby ads featuring Tim Horan. I think at the time (coupled with Wallaby success) their was a rise in player numbers - don't quote me on that though as my memory is getting foggy as I age!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
A bit advertising campaign based around the new S15 and RWC next year would help a lot.

S

Sydney Wallabies

Some advertising for kids to actually play rugby might help. A lot of you here are probably too young / weren't born in the early '90s when they had the "hit and run" rugby ads featuring Tim Horan. I think at the time (coupled with Wallaby success) their was a rise in player numbers - don't quote me on that though as my memory is getting foggy as I age!

I remember those ads actually.

The one ad I vividly remember was when the old Super 12 ads with rugby footage accompanied with 70's hit song You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet played in the background and the song's title was a motto for the competition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Here is a left fielder:

If Sookball can have a reality show about picking up an A league contract, what about one for a Rugby wannabe trying out to win a contract with one of the S15 franchises (academy contract for the younger types or S15 contract for a mature age unsigned talent).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Cheaper tickets for games. Plain and simple. Juniors under 12 who wear their club rugby jersey get in free.

Take a leaf from the Jesuits "give me a child, & I will give you the man" or words to the same general effect.

We get popularity by appealing to the real young kids, thru their mothers. If we can hookem at a young age, we got'em for life.

Promote Barefoot Rugby until Under 10's. "Weight for age" is a real issue for the mums. You need to have provision to run light weight and heavy weight junior rugby.
Promote Beach Rugby competitions in the summer. Leverage of the Surf Clubs tribalism. If they can attract a TV audience for a beach cricket, why not beach rugby. While daylight savings is on, social twilight beach rugby competitions.

Seven aside Rugby is now an olympic sport. Sevens tournaments are easy to organise teams for and good money spinners for clubs. They are great for preseason 15's fitness. Bring Schools into rugby sevens fold with competitions. Arrange barefoot sevens competitions for schools in poorer areas where parents may not want to buy boots for little johnny.

More coaching education programmes to be directed to Schools, mainly targetted at public schools. Athough at grades lower than the A's in the so called elite Rugby schools, the coaches seem to be quite ordinary, and in the non-rugby stronghold private schools, coaches other than the 1st XV are particularly ordinary.

Wallabies and S15 franchise players to be allocated to schools and hospitals. School visits to be coordinated with coaching skills days. These seem effective in late Jan during Daylight savings periods when there is very little else on.

Absolute effort in the first week back at school for the new starters. New kids (and new mums) at primary school in week 1 read EVERY last newsletter handed out with religious fervour. If you can not get your advertising material in the first week in primary school, you might as well not bother. To a lesser degree, the same applies in the first week in High School (Yr 7 in NSW). Get 'em while they are young.

You gotta make it easy for "The Australian Families" (Thanks Julia) to get involved in rugby. Doesn't matter if they are shit tickets on the corner or up high at the ends or sides, Mr/Mrs Average and their two kids should not need a mortgage to attend a decent game of rugby. Consider the whole package esp concessionaire prices for food, refreshments and merchandise. Fill the stadiums up.

Influence the media. Get better quality journalists writing articles in the heartland. Give decent writers proper access to the evolving stories and players. Dry up the flow of information to the miserable bastard journalists.

Take a leaf from the WWF and develop some real bad arse dudes that we can all love to hate. If there are none on the current playing roster, then direct one to become one. I am the boss of the ARU and I am your paymaster. You will do what you are told!!!

This part of the rant is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.